iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

has anybody built a cage for their Timberjack

Started by shawn55, May 07, 2013, 06:44:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawn55

has anybody in closed the cab on their older Timberjack. if you have what's a good way to do it and do you have any pictures of yours. I have built my sides in started my door but the front I'm still trying to figure a good way for the front to cover the air cleaner and transmission but have it still removable panels.

Autocar

Shawn I put doors and front window and sides and rear windows on my C7 Treefarmer I got tired of snowy / icey seat and bitter wind in the winter. Treefarmer has more square box type iron so it was a cake walk to do mine. Not real sure about a Timberjack but was thinking it was more tubing like the old Cancars but may be wrong on that. Pipe / tubing makes it pretty hard to make things fit Iam not so sure I wouldn't tear it off and start out with 2 x 4 by 1/4 inch box iron for the mane fram and then 2 x 2 box for the wind sheild /rear windows ect. Only thing to keep in mind if you would tear it off and start over keep in mind it needs to be built strong enough to take a roll over or a tree falling across it. I wouldn't weld it eather to the main fram of the skidder weld bases on the bottoms of your cab and drill and tap, then bolt it to the skidder. Maybe someone else will wade in on the strengh of it you want it strong !
Bill

barbender

I could sure be wrong, but on most of the old skidders I don't think the cabs were ROPS/FOPS rated. They were mostly to keep sticks out of your face, I think. Look at a similar sized construction machine, the roll over (ROPS) is far more substantial.
Too many irons in the fire

shawn55

Well I started making the doors and front frame work to support the expanded mesh. I'm not taking the old frame off I'm just trying to enclose it with mesh to kept the sticks out. Anything will be better then the wide open original cab's. The sides were easy but the front took a lot of thinking being the tubing is all at angels and cab sits off center. 

Thank You Sponsors!