iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

another Belsaw makin' boards

Started by apm, August 15, 2009, 08:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

Greg,the easiest rear ends to narrow are the ones with a round tube like the old jeep.Take a pipe cutter remove a section then take the same amount out of the axle and weld, everything just gets narrowed down.Most rear end types can be done as long as you can align the pieces properly and square.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

apm

Chico, it's not driving it in reverse. The input to the differential runs the same direction regardless of whether the rear end is right side up or upside down. Only the direction of rotation changes by flipping it over. Lube may be an issue I hadn't carefully considered. I'll have to check that out.

If left hand sawmills are common in some places, what is the normal way to reverse the direction of the power unit to turn the saw the right way? On flat belts I know they can twist them, but what about vee belts? Would you have to use a right angle drive of some sort?

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

Sprucegum

I don't have a picture of it here but my mill has V-belts crossed over from one pulley to the next to change rotation. Like OXO. I expected them to roll off, ball up, wear out in a short time and I was ready to make some changes but they are still working fine after a summmer of weekend milling.

jimparamedic

I use an 75 chevy 3/4 ton truck cut down to run my mill. I welded the spiders to lock up the rear end so I can use either side to power flat belt equipment sawmill, planers, ripsaw, jumpsaw, slabsaw, even an old hammermill at one time. I have used this unit for ten years still works good.

apm

Wow, Sprucegum, I had no idea you could get by with crossing vee belts. Did it come to you set up that way? How many belts are you running and what are the pulley sizes? What's the distance between the pulleys? I'd love to see a picture of that setup.

jimparamedic it's hard to argue with 10 years success!

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

jimparamedic

This is the second home I have set up at hoping the last this pic was take when shed was still under construction.I came up with it from one of the Fox Fire books the book is still packed away but it is the one that htalked about a water powered mill and the man that built it used what was at hand mostly alot of truck part some very good pics and drawing in the book

Sprucegum

Yes it came that way. I didn't think it would last 10 minutes when I first looked at it  :) The pulleys are about 8 inch diameter about 2 feet apart. I will take a pic this weekend.

Ron R.

Just my two cents worth. They do make a belt that is octagon shaped that they use on the back of fertilizer buggies. I don't know for sure what all lengths they are available in but they would work on crossing of belts to change directions. Easy way to find out is to check in with someone who handles bulk fertilize and has buggies. They would have a source for these belts.....................................Ron

apm

Quote from: Sprucegum on August 20, 2009, 02:45:32 PM
Yes it came that way. I didn't think it would last 10 minutes when I first looked at it  :) The pulleys are about 8 inch diameter about 2 feet apart. I will take a pic this weekend.

Look forward to seeing the pictures. What's everyone else do for a left hand mill?

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

Ron Wenrich

We've run left handed mills for a long time.  The diesel that we used ran in a different direction, so there isn't any need to cross belts.  We're using electric now.

I imagine that crossing belts limits the amount of hp they can transfer.  Can you get them tight enough?
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Chico

all you have to do is turn the motor around end to end for a left hand mill I must have misunderstood the reverse issue  but if you do that put a slinnger on the back of the ringgear holder to get the grease up it doesn't have to be large jmo Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

Ron Wenrich

A lot would depend on how long of shaft you have.  We always ran a short arbor, so you didn't have the luxury of turning your engine around.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Chico

You could always use a jackshaft if you had a short shaft
Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

bandmiller2

Greg, lube in the upside down rear end shouldn't be a problem as long as the ring gear dips in the oil the bearings just need a sniff of lube.You may have to relocate the axle breather.Crossed vee belts work just look at some of the tractor driven belly mount mowers, they will transmit more power due to the increased wrap but i'am sure it reduces their life.Setting up the machinery is half the fun of milling for me. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Tripp

Never really gave much thought to all the possible uses for a truck rear end. This thread has really got me thinking about all the ways you can adapt them to mill equipment. Keep the ideas coming.

Tripp

Bruce_A

The axle end with the housing makes for a loader mast once you figure how to mount it.  Will swing freely and possible to make  loader for mill, log turner and many more items.  Very good bearings.

Chico

I've also seen a feed works made from a rear end using the drum press to adjust the feed like the ols salem feeds with the air shoes in them Touchy but a long as you take your time they will work
Chico

Sprucegum

That's how I change direction  :)  And here's an overall view

Some history: Ken ran this mill for years as a stationary set up. Then he retired and let it sit for a few years until he got the notion to go portable and get back in the game (no one can ever really quit sawing). He got the conversion half done before getting killed in an accident. Ten years later I found the pieces and bought them.

I don't know if this is a tried and true method or just something he was experimenting with. I have cut 1/2 dozen logs every weekend all summer with no problems with the belts.

apm

Wow, sprucegum, that's an interesting setup. I can't say that I've ever seen anything quite like it. It looks like you're using 2 vee belts on a 3 groove pulley, with the center vee running empty. Is that to create space between the twisted belts? There also appears to be flat metal guides running between the twists on the belt. Do they rub the belts, or what function do they perform? That's a healthy looking saw with plenty of teeth. It looks like it could require some real horsepower to perform to full potential. What size and type logs have you been sawing? What kind of tractor do you pull with?

Sorry for all of the questions, it's just you've got a real unusual rig, there.

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

Sprucegum

The only questions that don't get answered are the ones you don't ask  ;D

The flatbar spacers seem to help the belts turn over. Without them they would probably roll and wear out quicker. I have a Cockshutt 1600, about 55-60 horsepower, that handles it pretty good. I have been cutting poplar(trembling aspen) anywhere from 24 to 7 inch in diameter. The boards and cants are coming off nice and straight finally so I will be logging some spruce this winter.

As long as I am working it that saw will never see full potential  :D 

apm

Quote from: Sprucegum on August 24, 2009, 09:45:43 AM

As long as I am working it that saw will never see full potential  :D 

Great answer!
Timberking 1600 now

Tripp

Wow! That setup took some serious hours of thinking and welding to create. It looks very effective and interesting!

Tripp

Thank You Sponsors!