iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

boards increasing in thickness

Started by JB Griffin, March 16, 2014, 04:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JB Griffin

what causes this? The board started at 3/4 and 9ft later it was 1" that cant is also tapered 7 5/8 at the front and 8" at the end. just did major overhaul on the guide rollers with new rollers from cooks and new solid shafts turn my a local machinist did a alignment and tried it out and now this. At least it cuts a whole lot smoother not wavy any more. was running a supposed resharp but not set blade that appeared to have plenty of set, have had trouble with these blades before and will try a new simmons blade as soon as it dries up a little.
just lookin for and ideas as to whats causin this so I can check it out.

Thanks
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

Sheepkeeper

Sounds like you may have a toe board sticking up a little on the far end. It's happened to me on more than one occasion. :-\
The hurry-er I go the behind-er I get.

JB Griffin

nope towboards down and nothin under the log.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

shelbycharger400

blade following the grain?  lots of stress?    pulling out of the clamps?

Id break out the dial caliper and check everything, you can pick them up for $40 supprises might show up.  Ive had it happen to me before, and it irritated me distroying mantles, nice wide boards ect.

21incher

I don't know if you have a manual mill like me, but I had that happen on my mill when the winch backed off a notch during the cut and I did not realize it until I looked at the log scale on my mill and saw it had dropped 1/4" during the cut.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

JB Griffin

I have a hyd mill and the scale didn't move, pretty well stumped right now.

SawyerBrown

JB, is this on a cut right after a turn/flip, or on a second or more cut while still clamped in?
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

JB Griffin

Ga Mtn Man

Is your blade parallel to the bunks and at the same height at both ends of the mill?

If yes then:  Make another cut and stop before you get to the end shut it down and take a look at the situation.  Is the cant still on the bunks?  Has the blade pulled away from the guide rollers?  I believe your saw head is suspended from an overhead track.  Has it tilted back?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

JB Griffin

GA will check that out been thinking that the track might be tweeked slightly. I understand that my mill has had a hard life before I got it.

SawyerBrown

That's where I was going too, Mtn Man.  Seems to me there's 3 possibilities: 1) the saw head isn't running parallel to the bed even without cutting, 2) if it is, then for some reason the saw head and/or blade is rising while cutting, or 3) the cant is coming unclamped and moving.  Mtn Man has the right ideas.  Good luck, JB, let us know what you find

Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

taw6243

Check that your support jacks are all still tight to the ground. I had mine loosen up at the far end and cause the mill to cut thinner at one end this winter.

Tim
4500 hours on my 2004 LT40HDG28, CBN sharpener and auto setter, 25" woodmaster planer with 9'auto leveling bed and trac vac chip handling system, 1998 L3010 kubota, 2010 L3200 kubota Festool TS75 rail saw with 42", 75" and 106" rails.

Dave Shepard

Could also be tension in the log. Is the can perfectly flat, or does it have some bow to it?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

ladylake

Quote from: taw6243 on March 16, 2014, 04:57:01 PM
Check that your support jacks are all still tight to the ground. I had mine loosen up at the far end and cause the mill to cut thinner at one end this winter.

Tim

Good post.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Billbob

Quote from: taw6243 on March 16, 2014, 04:57:01 PM
Tim

That's what I was thinking as well, Tim.  It happened to me this winter also. 

Bill
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

JB Griffin

The cant is flat no bow at all. I'll check the jacks tomorrow.   Thanks guys

drobertson

I agree with the possibility of the jacks, but to make sure after you have them solid, do the check across each bed rail to the blade,  I would almost do a check before any adjustments are made to see how much it may be off. Just to know the limits of the frame, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

bandmiller2

JB, watch the band when it leaves the board, if it drops down, band is climbing. If not its a problem as described above. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

JB Griffin

POSTON WIDEHEAD

They may find that Jet before we find a cause to this problem.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

drobertson

Can you or have you checked the height at each bed rail with no log on?  It seems this would be a good check,
if it is tracking parallel with no log on then it would narrow down the options.  And if it is parallel for the length of the bed it almost seems like it would have to an issue while sawing, blades, and blade alignment.  Unless somehow the head is raising while sawing.  Weird stuff you have going on there for sure,  I'm sure you will find it,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

JB Griffin

can and will do David I have heard that the overhead track can sag over time and use, I have sighted down the track and can't see anything, but have not measured it yet.
This mill has bout drove me crazy for the last 2-3 months.

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on March 16, 2014, 09:37:34 PM
They may find that Jet before we find a cause to this problem.

Thats funny right there David.(maybe a little truth there)

redbeard

Sometimes I will run saw head back and fourth with blade not engaged and let it just touch the face of can't and see what's been happening with last cut. This might help determine if you have saw head issues while moving full length mill.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

backwoods sawyer

When I first brought my mill home it was cutting that way so I would lean heavy to the guides not being completely aligned, as bandmiller2 suggested watch for blade movement as it exits the cut. Guides can be tricky to align at times, seem like they are correct and still be off a bit, don't take being off a whole lot to make a big issue. Or it could be a dull saw with bad set like when you trim a log stop that will give you the same result.
I hit a dog tie out cable at six places in one cut, had the saw buried in a 24" wide cut and it started shaking the whole mill but kept on cutting straight as it chewed its way thru the rest of the cut.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

giant splinter

After reading the many possibilities that might be the potential cause it seems like the problem is most likely the deck, the alignment of the deck, I could be wrong but thats my take. This is something that needs to be checked constantly while sawing on loose ground or especially on dis-simmilar ground conditions. Soft over here and hard ground on the other end needs to be kept up with and dealt with to keep the deck line tight. I am not familiar with your mill and I am sure you always get it set up properly but there are times when the jacks sink right in the middle of a job and we must stop and check things.
roll with it

Thank You Sponsors!