iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

peterson,lucas,rimu sawmills

Started by woodmills1, March 27, 2002, 02:05:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

welcome JD, and yes I am the other guy from tractorbynet.  you will find a great bunch here with both knowledge and a sense of humor. :D  did i mention a sense of humor :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

JD_Kid

Hi ya
is it just me or has my frist post been eaten ???as i can't see it here ,others on this board will be wondering what i'm asking about.
catch ya
JD Kid
I used to smoke camels but found them hard to light and kicked to much

Jeff

Nope, its not you, some welcome you got, I must have accidently deleted your first post! :-[

I have a different screen the you all do, and I was clicking windows closed, and well, I think I did it. ::)

I did read it first, thats why it was a window behind other windows.  Please post your question again and I'm sorry, I tried to fire myself earlier in the month and it didnt take. See what ya all get??

Welcome JD KID, I am sure we have members that can tell you about peterson,lucas,rimu sawmills. We even have some manufactures that peek in.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

O.K. here is where the OOPS came from, man I feel guilty.  One inadvertent click and whamo, ya make the new guy think we're inept. ;)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Scott_R

Yah scared him off Jeff. Hope he sneaks back in when your not lookin. Scott_R

L. Wakefield

Hey, I'll testify- his post WAS on there. I know some of us must have seen it. And he got a prompt welcome. Hopefully he'll come back.

BTW I finally found out a leetle bit about my brother in law's mill. It uses a Stihl chainsaw. According to him you have to hold up the weight of the saw and drag it along through the wood. He thinks it gave him a hernia. it's called a 'rip saw'. From the description I don't think I'd want it even if he were selling. I was born with one hernia and got another about age 40. Don't want NO more of those.   lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

JD_Kid

Hi ya
for the others who did not see my post ...i wanted to know if anyone has or has used any of the above mills and what they think of them also if buying again what would they do diffrentley (?)ie bigger motor, bigger mill etc etc ..most of the lumber i'll end up cutting is for stock yard rails ie 5 X 1 1/4 ,6 X 2, 4 X 2 maybe some framing and building stuff but not much ,most of the time it will be cutting pine with some hard wood ,maybe even some gum trees any ideas drop me a line ..
catch ya
JD Kid

woodmills1

welcome again JD  you picture looks a tad like another on the forum only no grey in yours. :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Tom

JD, I'm a bandsaw fella' myself and I would say that you should consider the size of the log that you will be processing.

Swing blades work great on larger logs.  I've seen them in the agriculture shows.   I hear that there is a problem securing smaller logs.  This info is hear-say but you need to look into that.

Bandsaw mills will process 8 and 9 inch diameter logs all day long.  Most will handle 25 inches with ease.  They are built to cut 30 and 36 inches, usually, but it is a real strain on the sawyer to do it.  That's where the swing blade mills begin to shine.

JD_Kid

Hi ya Tom
most of the trees i'm looking at are 2-3foot  pines i did get some info in the post today from lucas and rimu mills both looked to have good and bad points the rimu is not a swing saw but is a 1/4 saw with 2 cutting blades ,there maybe another brand in the usa or canada that works the same any info on that kind of set up will help too.
catch ya
JD Kid

kcbarnes

Welcome jdkid, you are in the right place to get all your questions answered.Have fun.

Frank_Pender

Welcome, JD Kid.   I do not know your whereabouts, but I would recommend that you look into the Mobile Dimension Sawmill.   I have two of them.  they are designed specifically for cutting dimensional lumber.  For the size  of log you are looking at, the MD Mill would be fantastic.  I do a great deal of custom cutting for building homes, barns and other out buildings as well as fencing.  Feel free to ask all the question here you like or you may e-mail me direct, if you wish.  The MD Mill is designed for one person to operate the unit as the carrage brings the lumber back to you after traveling down a stationary located log.  In one pass you have a completely sawed piece of lumber.
Frank Pender

DanG

Glad you didn't fumble around and skeer him off, Jeff. He's such a good lookin' kid, an' all. :D :D

Welcome aboard, JD.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

JD_Kid

Hi ya's
like the mobile dimension mill, the rimu cuts one board per pass ,maybe not as fast as the MD with haveing to take bark etc etc off frist ..kind of a toss up the rimu will cut one board per pass but with a 8 inch cut rimu 8 inch is max board where a 8 inch lucas or peterson will cut a 16 inch slab if needed,, all 3 can run a slabber  so a good addon if needed ..for what i want to do i think a 8 inch is the smallest i'll look at and maybe around 20 -22 Hp .something i was thinking about last night has anyone had tracks or rails eaten by pine sap??i know my oil pump on my chain saw got badly pitted ..all 3 are about the same price in NZ but cash talks so the deals maybe better
catch ya
JD Kid
oh yea as for being a great looking Kid i'd have to say i have a great face for radio :o :D :D

Paul_H

Hello, I have just joined as well.I have seen a Lucas work, a guy cut up some oversize Fir for us.I think they are slick little unit.He had a 20hp Briggs,and could cut up to a 9"x9" or a 9"x18" with a bit of messing around.You need 2 people to run it,one cutting,one stacking.3 would be best for big timbers.
They build them in your neck of the woods don't they?

I considered buying one,but after having several mills custom cut our logs,and talking to owners like Frank,I bought a Mobile Dimension 8)
I have heard good things about the Peterson,but haven't seen one work yet,would like to.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Frank_Pender

JD, I am in the process of designing an attatchment to place the Lucas slabber to the bottom edger blade of the Mobile Dimension Mill.  I believe it will work.  I am ordering the 60" unit. ;)
Frank Pender

JD_Kid

Hi ya Frank
have ya seen there set up?? i have there video  looking at it the bar is fixed and they use the motor on a slide to tighten the chain .but ya would not have to work for nasa to make a 2 bolt and tightener like on the side of chainsaws .
would a slabber be worth looking at?? if buying a new mill kinda cheaper if ya buy as one deal.
catch ya
JD Kid

Bud Man

Welcome JD........Just in case........Welcome JD........ :D
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

JD_Kid

Hi ya Bud Man and all the others that have made me feel welcome
great bunch of people here and thanks to woody for sending me here in the frist place
catch ya
JD Kid

Thank You Sponsors!