iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tiller's International

Started by thedeeredude, July 10, 2008, 07:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedeeredude

I saw about this place in Michigan, Scott or Scotts is the town i think.  Has anyone ever been there?  If I make it to the piggy roast next year, I might have to stop by.  It looks pretty cool, they have classes on blacksmith, wheel making, timber framing, tool making and farming/logging with draft animals. 

JV

Great people to work with and a very interesting place to visit.  They teach people from third world countries basic trades and agriculture.  They supplement with classes open to the general public. The timber framing class I attended framed the walls for Phase I of a 40,000 sq. ft. ag museum.  A lot of work in one week with the raising on Saturday, but very satisfying.  I would like to go next spring for the oxen class.  Definitely worth a visit.   ;)
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

thedeeredude

I want so bad to learn how to work with oxen :)

JV

My wife and I both enjoy being around them.  At my age I'll need to buy a three or four year old team.  What made me sick when I was a Tiller's was hearing about the team at the Henry Ford museum being sent to slaughter because of budget cutbacks.  The Devons are a little too frisky for me to keep up with, so I'm thinking Brown Swiss.  A fellow south of here had an old team and I heard finally had to put them down.  They were very gentle and slow, perfect for me.   :D
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

thedeeredude

They say devons can trot at 6 miles an hour :o  The one museum I got to regularly has linebacks and they have a really neat blue roan color on their backs.  They don't like people near their horns though.

Fla._Deadheader

Come on down here. My neighbor's sons run the team of Oxen, dragging logs.

Dragged my sawmill & trailer through a mud bog to saw some logs.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

thedeeredude

Do you have any pictures?  I'd love to see Costa Rico  and Puerto Rico someday. 

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Thank You Sponsors!