iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A hornets nest in a log

Started by bck, June 19, 2008, 11:00:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bck

I have a big white oak that has a big hollowed out place in the bottom looks like it goes about two feet up in the log. The log had some spalting in it and I had it set aside to see how it would spread. Last week I seen a hornet go in it and sprayed the water hose in it but didnt see anything, today I notice several going in and out and can look in and see the nest. :o

Anybody had any experince with them? How would you go about getting rid of them??  Besides VERY CAREFULLY.     A can of deoderant and a lighter?? Wait until janurary when its 10degrees??   ????

Sprucegum

I buy a can of Raid bee killer. You can stand back 6 or 8 feet and spray the nest - they all die  8)  Do it after sundown so you catch them all at home.

DanG

Roach bomb.  Go out there at night, set the bomb off, toss it in the hole and run like the wind!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Toolman

Wait till dark. Shine a flashlight at it and empty an entire can of starting fluid on it. That stuff kills them in their tracks. Go back a half hour later. knock it down with a stick , tear it apart and spray again. Remove it in the morning.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

Chuck White

Do it when it's not very warm.  The don't fly very well when it gets down around 50-60.

Brake parts cleaner will take the wings right off of them and kill them at the same time.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bck

LeeB

1:4 dawn dish washing liquid in water. It'll knock em dead, belive it or not. Real good for up around the house under the eaves and such.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Left Coast Chris

This brings back bad memories.  When in high school we went up by the resivour in a wet area to dig out a stump.  We started diging with a mattock and knocking at the base and looked up to see a swarm of the very large black striped hornets.  They swarmed us and it felt like getting stabbed with pices of glass.  My brother got an over dose and was very sick.  There are hornets and there are HORNETS.  The big black striped ones are really something to watch out for.  It will definately test your top running speed.  And its pretty fast when they are on you.  :o :o
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

thecfarm

I would go spend the $4-5 on a can of hornet spray.I have killed ground hornets with a flame thrower.I have poured diesel fuel on other nests.When my Father and 3 brothers was cutting fire wood for our homes we knew where there was about 10 hornets nests.That was a bad year.Seems like we would drop the tree on thier nest.Did not know that until we was bucking the tree up.We would take off quick.My Father was running the tractor and started going real fast with it.Was not like him at all.I wondered what was wrong.About then he shut the tractor off and bailed off from it.He run over another nest and the hornets were attacking him.These are the hornets with the white rear ends.Anyone that lives in the NE states probaly has had a run in with them.They need a nap.Just walking by the nest is enough for them.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

metalspinner

I had a bad encounter with hornets when i was akid, also.  Ended up at the hospital with over twenty stings. :(

Whichever method you use, make sure you get a video of it for us.  Especially if you go the flame thrower route. ;D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

bck

Had a couple cans of Brake cleaner on hand. Worked great. They are stacked up in the log, none made it out, the few that I seen in the air went straight to the ground when hit. Now I need to find the other nest(s). For the last 10 years I have killed 2 or 3 every year until last year, last year I killed at least a dozen and this log wasnt here then.
Was concerned though because I am allergic to a plain old bee :o.
No video, maybe pictures after I saw it up in jan or feb :D :D

Chuck White

That brake parts cleaner is great stuff.

It'll do a lot more than clean parts.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

flip

One of our employees years ago was putting a trailer hitch on a new truck.  The way we did it at the time since the frame was not puched out was to take a tranny jack and use a half inch air drill with a half inch bit.  I think he got all but the last hole cut and the drill caught and smashed his hand against the frame of the truck.  If you ever grabbed ahold of some of the older frames you found out they were dipped in a tar or wax.  So Steve cuts his hand and gets this goo all over the cut.  Ahhh, can of STP brake cleaner, couple squirts on the hand an voila, he was looking up at the ceiling laying on his back.  Not funny but that STP stuff we used years ago was good stuff.
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

KnotBB

Chainsaw gas works pretty good too and it's generally handy.
To forget one's purpose is the commonest form of stupidity.

dad2nine

Ok just be thankful it's wasps and not a freaking nasty ass skunk like I had in a log once.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,28457.0.html

Burlkraft

A couple a years ago I was sawin' up some figured maple that was layin around and I didn't find the bees till the blade did. They came out of a knot just like bees in the cartoons.     whiteflag_smiley whiteflag_smiley whiteflag_smiley whiteflag_smiley whiteflag_smiley                              I only got stung 14 times and then they were gone  :D  :D  :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

wdartisan

This will sound odd, but it makes perfect sense when you think of it, and DOES work. Buy powdered sevin and put it in the opening. The hairs on the bees will carry it inside and kill them with in, cans of spray won't often do this.

ScottAR

I understand Bee freeze is a good commercial pesticide.
Another called Cynoff is mixed with water can be applied to surfaces such
as house overhangs and such and either kills or repels wasps/hornets.

FYI...

Brake cleaner and starting fluid work well for those chance encounters
when repairing a tractor in a field. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

LeeB

My FIL used to spray wasps with whatever can of spray paint he had handy. Some times it killed them, but most of the time there just a lot of multi colored wasps flying around.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Sprucegum

:o Starting fluid and a bic lighter torches the wings right off  :o  :o

Don't try this at home - or anywhere else  :-X

Thank You Sponsors!