iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ran across something odd today!

Started by CCC4, January 24, 2014, 06:36:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCC4

Ok so my imagination is running wild from  discovery I made today while cutting. I have a video I am going to upload to show what I am talking about but it is going to take quite a bit of upload time...in the video I cut a thumper red oak, botched my back cut...misread my lean...had to get the skidder to help give me a push and it still didn't go where I wanted! LOL! The tree was sound as heck and pulled no fiber so anyway...on to my discovery.

I am cutting on a mountain side, yesterday I cut this pine and the skidder OP brought to my attention this mound. We looked at it for a bit and went on. Well today I was further up the mountain and there are mounds EVERYWHERE! There are 10 or so just where I shot the video. The mounds of dirt have been dug and piled leaving the ditch like area open. They are 10 ft long and about 6 ft wide and the mounds are 3 ft. high. They are all running North and South and they are staggered up this hillside. It would be easy to assume some sort of equipment dug them....but not so fast!!! On two of the mounds...the actual piled dirt...I cut a red oak off each mound that was 3 1/2ft across the stump! Those trees had to be 125 years old I am guessing! Hmmmm....that rules out equipment for sure! The two big red oak were, one dead and one lightening stuck and dying so...I cut them. He they been alive and healthy I might have left them till told to do otherwise.

Imaginations can run wild with stuff like this. The skidder OP had a good idea that they were possibly fox holes from a Civil War skermish. They are staggered so this could be a possibility. The big oaks growing on the piled dirt mounds would put the mounds pretty darn old. I have zero idea what they are. I am uploading the video so that maybe someone has seen something like these and might have a therory, I ruled out graves so didn't feel bad about cutting the trees...these mounds are all up this hillside though! I am so intrigued byt them I am about to explode...hence this is why I am posting about them. I wouldn't think they were so cool if the big red oaks hadn't been growing on top of them. These things are old...how old? Who knows!

Video coming soon! LOL!

coxy

goose63

goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

logman81

Sounds very interesting, get a metal detector you might fined artifacts!
Precision Firewood & Logging

thecfarm

They are 10 ft long and about 6 ft wide and the mounds are 3 ft. high.

About how deep? Or are they just about all filled in now? Is the dirt piled on the same side of each hole?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

CCC4

Yes, the dirt is piled on the same side of every hole. They run very very consistent.

I have to come up with a metal detector! I just can't figure out what they are. I like the fox hole theory though. It's gonna take all evening for the upload, the video is sort of long due to my problems with the big oak...but it sure is an interesting find!

JakeG

You come across interesting things on a regular basis and this sounds pretty darn interesting. :)
$5.00 fine for whinin'

thecfarm

Landowners has no idea?? Neighbors?? Historical Society? Has to be an Old Guy around somewheres.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ed_K

Could they have been uprooted tree from a huricane from long ago?I have humps in the maple orchard from the 1938 huricane.There's new growth on and in the holes that are 20"+ .
Ed K

Ljohnsaw

Can't wait to see it.
I wonder what they could be. . . say_what
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Holmes

I have those humps in the woods here also. I thought they were from some very old blown over trees.
Think like a farmer.

thecfarm

I have humps too.But no holes besides tham. The humps are piles of rocks.

beenthere

Count the growth rings on the stump that sits on a mound and go with "older than that" for age.

Not sure of your location where you are cutting, but there was a battle of Salem in 1862.
http://www.civilwarbuff.org/Places/Fulton/WarMemorial.htm

Also
http://www.ozarkscivilwar.org/regions/fulton
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

sounds like pit and  mound topography.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

treeslayer2003

Magicman

I have mounds from the rootballs from wind blown over trees.  The tree and roots rot away and leave the mound and it's nearby hole.  It's very common on my land.

A large windstorm would leave many and they would all be oriented the same way.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Cedar Savage

Are the hills always, uphill from the holes ?  Sounds like they're log loading ramps, from ole time logging with horse & sleighs...They'd pull the sleigh in the hole & use the hill as a ramp to roll the logs on. I've seen them on hill sides all over Michigan, especially if on sandy ground.

"They fried the fish with bacon and were astonished, for no fish had ever seemed so delicious before."         Mark Twain

Jeff

Quote from: Cedar Savage on January 24, 2014, 09:31:27 PM
Are the hills always, uphill from the holes ?  Sounds like they're log loading ramps, from ole time logging with horse & sleighs...They'd pull the sleigh in the hole & use the hill as a ramp to roll the logs on. I've seen them on hill sides all over Michigan, especially if on sandy ground.

The especially in sandy ground makes me think that is pit and mound as well, a natural phenomenon. they didn't dig many holes in the winter into snow covered ground and most likely frozen ground. I've been an avid reader and collector of Michigan logging history, and that is the first I;ve heard of that practice. why would they, when you can pile snow if you needed a ramp.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,20.0.html
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Cedar Savage

I don't know where I heard it, but it was from an ole timer. I imagine in the summer, they would cut & pile logs next to the hole, & wait for winter to skid. I think it was a practice they just used on hill sides.
"They fried the fish with bacon and were astonished, for no fish had ever seemed so delicious before."         Mark Twain

pineywoods

Remains of big root balls where high straight line winds took out a bunch of large trees. Pretty common around here..Usually large hardwoods. SYP will break off rather than uproot, due to large taproots.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

David-L

I like Ed k's thought, probably pit and mound from a weather happening, tornado, etc. I see these in the woods around here from the 53 tornado and the 38 hurricane in the town of Petersham. You can follow them right through town where the path of destruction led.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

47sawdust

Holmes and David L took the words out of my mouth.
There is a story in Northern Woodlands about the '38 hurricane that swept through New England.To this day you can still see the mounds left behind by the uprooted trees.
Of course civil war fox holes is a lot more interesting.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

CCC4

These are man made. You will see in the video that nature had nothing to do with this. The humps or mounds or whatever are all on the downhill side, nature didn't do this, they are over 10 feet long and the mounds are nearly 6 ft wide. Not to mention they are staggered all in one area up this mountain. It's not old stump holes, I promise that.

Video stalled last night, got it back going this morning. This uploader doesn't do well with videos over 8 mins. It may take a few re-starts to get the entire video up. I took the camera over to a buddy's house last night and he is going today to try and find a metal detector.

When pre-viewing the video last night, I wanted to make sure I showed what I was seeing and I think that I accomplished it pretty well. Totally unnatural mounds scattered all through. I am standing on a couple of them and you can clearly see the shallow pits behind them. The mounds show the dug up rock that is across the top of them. They are just perfect mounds, all together, and all cut in the exact same way and staggered up the hillside.

One curious thing I have come to a conclusion is is that these mounds are located 150 up the mountains looking over a very old wagon road that runs in the bottom of the hollow. You might ask why I say wagon road??? I found a metal ring that would have gone around a wooden wagon wheel. I have it stashed in a brush top, thinking about trying to pack it out...pretty neat hand forged ring.

I'm trying to get the video up as fast as I can, I talked to an Old man last night who's wife is a local librarian in the area and they want to see the video pretty bad. A Civil War skermish was fought on the other side of the White River from me...tooo small to have been really important but it was about a mile and a half as the crow flys from where I am cutting.

mad murdock

Sure sounds like a "dig in position" taken by a military force from the description of it.   Can't wait to see the video.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

David-L

It's not over till the fat lady sings. Can't wait to see the video. I enjoy all woods history.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Thank You Sponsors!