iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The weather

Started by thecfarm, August 04, 2008, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken

Very cold here (-27C here at daylight) although it has finally stopped snowing. 
Lots of toys for working in the bush

SwampDonkey

I see a snow front moving in from Maine and the wind is a howling now. I bet there will be more than a flurry from it. It was -11 F here this morning, around 0 F now.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

20° and Sunny.   8)    ;D ;D   Temperature will be dropping.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

coxy

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on January 01, 2014, 11:52:46 AM
8) 8) 8)
come on say it you no you want to  :D :D :D :D :D :D 8) 8) 8)

snowstorm

nws says blizzard conditions just what we need. thursday into friday. still a lot of ice on the trees. we havent had any wind but its coming

clww

Not to rub it in, I wish it was cold and white here at The Beach, but.....
I was taking out the trash earlier this afternoon and our crazy daffodils are starting to sprout all along the front edge of our landscaping around the house.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Dusty Rhodes

Sounds like we are in for a cold snap this weekend and into next week.  They are calling for negative numbers  by next monday and single digits here by this friday. Suppose to have some snow tomorrow too.   I knew it would be coming eventually.  Hauled in some firewood from my stacks to the woodshed this afternoon.  It was a balmy 32 F.  Stocked the shed with some Hickory and Black Locust.  The Oak does fine for holding the fire but the Hickory and Locust do a little better.  Noticed a fair amount of frass on the Hickory.  To be expected I guess since I only cut the damaged trees for firewood. Those borers sure make a mess of the wood. Feel like I am getting cheated on my BTU's now that theres holes in my firewood :D
SwampDonkey you are correct.  You do get used to the cold weather. Lived in Northern Maine for 14 years, but I was a young man back then and now that I am older the cold seems to affect me more. But I do love the four seasons, do not think I could ever be a snow bird.  I dislike the heat more than I dislike the cold. You can always dress warmer I think.  You can only strip clothing off so far and then it's illegal.  At least in public:) 

thecfarm

Dusty Rhodes,We use to go to PA. Seem like you guys have about 2 less months of winter than I do. We can get a frost here in mid-late May and might get a frost early Sept.
The wife's dog is not staying out long. The cat is out now. I left the light on and told the wife. We don't want to forget the cat. The cat will come up to us and howl to go out. I don't want her out. But I know enough not to argue with a female.  ;D
6° and that is above right now.
I heard about the blizzard too. There's a fine line with me. I might get 2 inches. I might get 6 inches.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dusty Rhodes

Thecfarm,  You are not as far off in weather with me as you may think.  We usually do not have a frost as early as September nor as late as Memorial Day here but I have seen it happen.  I know GrandDad did not put his tomatoes or beans in until after Memorial Day.  Usually the last frost is early May in the Spring and Mid to late October in the fall.  We probably do get a little longer growing season here than you do but I do not think a full two months. I am in Central Pa. The lower counties in Pa get about another month more than I do.  I know that when I was going to School in Gorham, Maine the weather there was a lot warmer than where my home in Caribou, Maine was. The Ocean really moderated the weather along the coast.  Your a bit further inland so your temps are probably a good bit colder in the winter.  I remember growing two gardens when I lived in Northern Maine and over the course of my living there had planted 14 varieties of apple trees.  Didn't have as long of a growing season in Maine but that did not stop us from growning and canning alot of good produce.  Even remember growing some good muskmelons up north.  The biggest difference is probably in the annual Snowfall.  You probably get clobbered compared to what we get down here.  I had a couple snow mobiles in Maine.  Where I am at down here in Pa. you wouldn't get much use out of them in the winter. I was just checking earlier on the Google Maps,  I noted that SwampDonkey is in Centreville, NB and remember it from my time in Maine years ago.  He doesn't live far from where I lived in Maine. Sure miss the snowmobiling and good fishing I enjoyed in Maine.     

mesquite buckeye

:snowball:

Fine. It was like 70 today, and digging trench for a new water line to the bathroom, I was looking for some shade. :o

But I'll survive. ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Oh, and don't forget that happy sun. :)

;D :snowfight1:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

SwampDonkey

It's -13F right now and suppose to drop another 15 or so by morning. I'll show ya what cold looks like in the morning. ;D Right now I'm crawling under a couple layers of wool. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

coxy

snowing snowing snowing  >:( >:( >:( >:(

pep

The temp this morning -40 at 6:00. supposed to warm up to -29   >:(

Stay warm everyone.
Pep
Lucas 827 w/slabbing bar
JD 410B
Wood Wiz Surfacing Attachment

goose63

25 below  no WIND gona be 25 to 30 above Friday  :snowball: :new_year:
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Autocar

I finished cutting and skidding logs yesturday and wanted to get the logs all marked off because they were calling for snow. I was beat so I came home now this morning I wish I would of marked them it's snowing hard and blowing now I'll have to broom them all off to get it done. I may stay home till noon then go  ;D. There calling for -5 in the morning  :-\.
Bill

SwampDonkey

-23F here, everything on pause. :D

snowstorm

ancjr

Chuck White

Quote from: pep on January 02, 2014, 07:15:54 AM

Stay warm everyone.
Pep

Was that -40° F or C ?  ;D

Just kidding!

Time to pull a chair right up close to the stove Pep!

We had -14°F here at 6:00AM.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

mesquite buckeye

Stay warm everyone.
Pep

OK.

73, sunny, with a light breeze. ;D

Ho Hum. ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

goose63

Mesquite Buckeye  do you have to rub it in??????? smiley_sun :new_year:
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

WmFritz

Quote from: Chuck White on January 02, 2014, 09:29:13 AM

Stay warm everyone.
Pep

Was that -40° F or C ?  ;D

Just kidding!

Good one Chuck. -40c is the only temp I can convert in my head.  :D :D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

pep

Chuck
It actually got colder -42 windchill is-57.  I'm keeping the fire going, I have to go out in an hour, sure glad the truck is plugged in.  Anyone without a block heater will be staying home.  I started the wife's vehicle this morning, had a hard time closing the door.  I'm sure when she left her tires were square.
Got to bundle up in this DanG weather.

Cheers
Pep
Lucas 827 w/slabbing bar
JD 410B
Wood Wiz Surfacing Attachment

Thank You Sponsors!