iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The weather

Started by thecfarm, August 04, 2008, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roxie

I miss Tom.  When you're talking to him again, tell him I said hello.   :)
Say when

WDH

Its raining 8).  (A little bit).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Tell Tom he needs a break anyway. He's working too hard.  ;D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mooseherder

I had to go to Miami this morning for an all day meeting.  We could hear the thunder and rain on the roof most of the afternoon.  There was about 150 of us in the room.  Just as the meeting was getting about ready to end at 4pm.  Security came up and said there was a row of cars in the parking lot that had water above the Door line.
Meeting adjourned quick and we went out.  I was in a good row and it was still pouring.  There was about six inches of water where I had to walk.  My co-workers car that just got out of the shop for an accident repair now had water inside on the floor board.  Good thing the security guard didn't wait 1 minute later.  ::)

swampy

Well it it still rainning in the sebastian- vero area. As of last nite we have had in this area 19.6 inches and the water still falls :o :o :o :o :o :o :o. Going to get the dive gear out and see if I can find the driveway so I can go to work tomorrow. It probably rained another 2 to 3 " today. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) had to put floatys on homey to keep the motor dry ::) ::) ::) ::)
It only takes a little sawdust to become addicted. It's even better when you build your own. (HOMEMIZER a.k.a. HOMEY)

WDH

We have gotten 3 tenths of an inch so far :-\.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DanG

Hang in there Danny!  The worst of it will be past you soon. ;) :D

I'd say we're at about the 3 inch point right now, but that's a guess.  I got about an inch of pine straw on my deck....well, not that much but there's a pretty good layer of it.  I just heard that the movement is up to 8 mph now, so that's good news.  The quicker she gets outta here, the better I'll like it.  The center of rotation is just about due south of me right now, about 40 miles away.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

I'm back!

It's been a real blow!

The trees have been cleaned out  and a lot of them topped.  It sure tells you how resiliant pines are when a 40 footer can blow over parallel to the ground and still stand back up.  I've been watching them out of my window all day.

The Buzzards are still playing over the field next to us.  They don't ride the currents as high as they do on a warm sunny day, but, hover about 30 to 50 feet off of the ground and then, when conditions are right for them, they shoot skyward at a speed that couldn't be matched by most war planes.   Then they drop to the tree line and, somehow, find their way back to in front of my window, and I get to watch them again. ;D

We have power now as of about 12:30 am but are still limited to travel.  Al of the creeks are over the roads and everybody is flooded.  There is an outgoing tide that will allow a lot  of this water to drain pretty quickly...... we hope.  :)

Thanks for y'all's concern.

Hope the water doesn't give you to much problem down there, Ed.  Be safe and don't do something stupid.

Dan, hopefully, the stuffings got knocked out of the storm, but it sure doesn't look like it form the RADAR.  You and Woodbowl hang in there.  :)

IMERC

Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

Lanier_Lurker

Quote from: WDH on August 23, 2008, 12:24:14 AM
We have gotten 3 tenths of an inch so far :-\.

That is 3 tenths more than we have gotten.

I'm starting to wonder if it is ever going to rain here again.  Clouds and wind for 3 days, but not a drop of rain.

We are cursed I tell you.

:( :( :(

DanG

Lanier Lurker, I sure wish y'all had some of this...matter of fact, I wish ya had ALL of it!  We was already wet down here.  There is a slim hope for ya, yet.  Whenever this thing gets through plunderin' the coastline, it is supposed to curl to the Northeast.  If it does it soon enough, y'all might get a little squirt.  I hope so.

We woke up to no power this AM, but it came back on an hour ago.  It hasn't been too bad here so far, just lots of rain and some fairly stiff gusts.  Got a few branches down, but no damage yet.  Radar show's the worst is yet to come. :-\
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

TexasTimbers

Glad you Flurdidians made it through phase one alright. My wife told me that since we have had so much rain, the police dept. of the nearest "big" town to us (Bonham pop 10K) has been swamped with phone calls by citizens to come get snakes out of their houses. One lady that my mom knows said the cops told her yesterday when she called that the animal contrrol officer (yep they just got one) would not be able to get by there that day, but that as officers were available they were also on snake duty, but it would be at least 4 hours. When her neighbor finally came home he got it out of her house - it was a copperhead.

I just grabbed the camera to snap a pic of a Texas Garter, but when I got back to the roll up door where he had stretched out he was gone. I told Red about it and she gave the concrete a couple of token sniffs but she don't do snakes. Terrified of them. Those Garters will bite you. They're non-poisonous but the bite can become infected if not properly treated.

With as much rain as you guys have got, snakes are bound to be an issue there. ???
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

DanG

Snakes is always an issue around here.  Kilt 2 rattlers in my yard so far this year.  One of them almost got me! :o

jim king

Here on the in the jungle all is normal.  A few years ago we had a really good flood followed by a dry year when the world was predicting the Amazon was going to dry up and burn down.  All has been normal before and since.

Geographic and Climatic Data for Iquitos Peru
This data for Iquitos Peru is from the NASA Langley Atmospheric Science Data Research Center.

Latitude: Minus 3.75 degrees south of the equator.

The altitude above sea level is approximately 350 feet.

The Coordinated Universal Time of Peru is UTC-5, the same as Florida and New York, Eastern Standard Time.

The time difference between the longest day and the shortest day is only 18 minutes.

The temperature measured by ° F averaged from 22 years of data per month:

(Jan. 82.09) (Feb. 81.86) (Mar. 82.60) (Apr. 82.06) (May 82.42) (June 82.20)

(July 82.04) (Aug 83.55) (Sept. 85.78) (Oct. 86.59) (Nov. 84.88) (Dec. 82.87)

The average rainfall at the Iquitos Port is 103 inches per year. March and April have slightly more rain on a 10 year average, and July and August have slightly less than average, but contrary to popular belief there is very little difference in month to month precipitation in Iquitos. The water level of the river fluctuates by as much as 40 feet per year, triggered by rainfall and snow melt on the east slopes of the Andes.

Geographic and Climatic Data for Iquitos Peru

WDH

We have gotten 2.5 inches of rain here, steady rain over a 24 hour period.  Just what we needed.  Thankfully, no really high wind and no flooding, unlike the members to the South of here.

DanG

Well I was wondering what happened to my dadgummed herrykane!  I was settin' here enjoyin' all this sympathy for being down here in the pits of hell, and all of a sudden the DanG thing was gone!  I pulled up the radar on this stoopid computer, and it had gone off to AlaDanGbama and left me with no excuse for not doing anything tomorrow! >:(  Not only is I gotta do stuff tomorrow, but I'm gonna hafta do whatever it is I gotta do in ankle deep water. :-\

Bye bye, Fay! :-* ;D

sawguy21

Well DanG, sure glad you and Tom are still floating. ;D We have been enjoying well above average temperatures. Hit the mid thirties, high 90's to you southern folk, over the last few weeks. 40C in the interior.  :o Forest service has been kept entertained by fires.
A bad hailstorm hit the fruit growing Okanagan valley last weekend and wiped out a good portion of the peaches and apples. Apparently the lightening show was phenomenal. We have seen a couple of good thunderstorms here which is unusual in this area.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SwampDonkey

It's actually been fairly dry here for two weeks except for a shower or two. The last few days has been in the mid 80's and the woods is finally drying up. Went for a climb through the woods yesterday on my woodlot and saw a dark brown monster with a spread over 6 feet wide.  :o
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Lanier_Lurker

Quote from: WDH on August 24, 2008, 12:05:14 AM
We have gotten 2.5 inches of rain here, steady rain over a 24 hour period.  Just what we needed.  Thankfully, no really high wind and no flooding, unlike the members to the South of here.

Still not a drop up here.   :(

And the high winds have made a mess.  As in past drought years, the yellow poplars started dropping their leaves nearly 2 weeks ago - and the winds are just making it worse.  So, I am out in my shorts and loafers blowing leaves off the deck and driveway - which is supposed to be an autumn chore, not a summer chore.  >:(

Oh well, at least they are not wet and sticky.  (Gotta find something good in the middle of this torment)

Jeff

We were knocked off line and without power and phone yesterday afternoon and most of last night. Power came on sometime early this morning. A pretty nasty front blasted through with some tough winds and about 1.5 inches of rain in about 45 minutes.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WDH

LL,

The radar shows a few bands up your way.  Maybe that means that you are finally getting a sprinkle :).

Tom

You're welcome.  :D :D

Lanier_Lurker

Quote from: WDH on August 24, 2008, 09:21:19 AM
LL,

The radar shows a few bands up your way.  Maybe that means that you are finally getting a sprinkle :).

It finally started raining here at about 7:00pm yesterday.  Had a good shower for 30 minutes or so, with lingering steady rain over most of the night.

Based on the amount of water in my rain collectors, it looks to have been between 1.5 and 2 inches.   8)

And, the 36-48 hour forecast calls for more!   :)

DanG

Lanier_Lurker, I'm just tickled to death to hear that you're finally getting some rain! 8) 8)  BUT, I really wish this thing would go away.  We had another 3 inches of rain today and there is more coming, all from the trailing bands of T.S. Fay.  Right now, I think we've had 14 inches of rain since Friday!  My place is a total quagmire, and we're at the top of the hill!  Worse than that, these trailing storms are far worse than the actual storm was.  Right now, there is a series of tornadoes that are tracking up from far western Florida, and extending three counties deep into Alabama.  The local TV weathermen are still on the air, even at 3am!  I will be real surprised if we don't wake up to learn of some real devastation in those areas.

To top that off, there is a new storm, Gustav, that is bearing down on us.  If it comes this way, we will be in a real bind!  Our ground is saturated(we don't have the sand that most of Fla has), our creeks and rivers are already overflowing, and we have yet to recieve all the water that is falling in Georgia.  Boats are already plying the streets of Tallahassee, evacuating people from homes in low-lieing areas.  Holding ponds are overflowing now, and they are designed to hold the water until it can soak in.  They have no outlet.  The only highway from here to Tallahassee that is open is I-10.  I went that way today, and the Ochlocknee River is only a few feet below the bridge, where it is normally about 30 feet.  There are major road closings.  I'm not talking about little back roads, either.  US90 is closed in at least 2 places, and US27, US319, and US98 are all blocked at one point or another, and the water is rising.

Now, we can handle all this with just a little inconvenience, but if Gustav comes this way, we gonna be in a whole heap of trouble!  I'm going to Bainbridge, Ga. tomorrow to stock up on supplies.  I'm fortunate(and smart  ;D ) to be located on high ground, so I can stick it out ok, but many thousands of people are not so lucky.

WDH

Remember the Morton Salt commercial?

"When it rains, it pours."  That comes to mind.

We had 5 inches by yesterday a.m. and got more yesterday and last night.  No flooding, thankfully.

Thank You Sponsors!