iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The weather

Started by thecfarm, August 04, 2008, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

60 here in NH and it rain here hard last night. logers can;t pull wood to much mud, I just put an order for 34' w pine. have to wait for some freezeup.next week I hope. all this work lined up,  :o :o
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

I let the dog and it felt cold,36.  ::)  These "high' temps have spoiled me.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

The highs have been the high 40's, cold enough that the red wasps that had a nest in the big old red oak that the power company cut down yesterday just crawled around and did not fly and sting everybody.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Maybe it will drop a little more down there in GA and do a real good job on them red wasps. ;D

36 here this morning and going to get colder, but not frigid cold. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

wwsjr

Dusting of snow Monday morning. 45' F yesterday, 25' at 5:30 this morning. Sunshine and 50' predicted today. Not supposed to be this cold in Nov down south.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

OneWithWood

It was 24°F when I crawled out of bed this morning.  Just enough to firm up the ground so I could transfer bio diesel to the greenhouse tank and move some aspen logs over to the mill.  Warmed right up when the sun starting shining and now we are back to mud.
Good weather for milling  :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

SwampDonkey

It was nice and sunny all day here, but the temp dropped to 32 here now.  ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DouginUtah

Very windy just north of Salt Lake City today. Centerville recorded a gust of 102 MPH. At least ten semis were tipped over on I-15. Many trees toppled, which brings up a question. The news showed mostly evergreen trees down.

Do evergreen trees typically have a very shallow root system whereas hardwoods have deeper root systems?

(Urban trees)
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Chuck White

We had 18 degrees F this morning at 5:00!

Got "just" a dusting of snow last evening at dusk!

Like I said earlier, "We're on borrowed time"!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Bandmill Bandit

Had some nasty winds here lately too but a lot worse in Calgary.
High level winds to 150KM to 180KM that took glass out of the high rise towers so much that the city had to close the downtown core because of the "glass storm" that they had.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

OneWithWood

Doug, I don't know if all evergreens have shallow root systems.  I do know that some hardwoods are shollow rooted (Tulip and Aspen come to mind) whereas Walnuts put down a deep tap root.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

thecfarm

According to the paper, Maine had the warmest temperature in the country,62,on the Weather Channel's map at 7:15 Wednesday morning.
This morning is more normal,22.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

According to Caribou NOAA, this November was the mildest on records back to 1937.

The almanac predicted this, and says Dec will be wet and mild and the first of January as well with just small snowfall amounts that won't be too significant. This is forecast for the Maritimes.

JV

Well, it's been raining here since Friday with more to come through tomorrow.  Supposed to clear up through this coming weekend but with no appreciable chance of a hard freeze without warm up.  I need to move some things in and out of the new shop but without gravel down all I'll have is a mud hole.  The lane is in a mess and I don't want to put any new stone down until I can do some grading.  I bought a rock picker at an auction last weekend and can't move it until a hard freeze or dry up.  I asked the old fellow how long I had to pick it up and he replied until the grass starts growing again.  He could be right.   :(  At least that white stuff has melted.
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

SwampDonkey

Very mild here for a December night, 43 here at 5:00 am.

Coon

I just looked again and the temp has risen by about a degree and a half Celcius and now it is only -17.8  ;D  We have way more frost in the ground already than we had all of last winter.  Not much for snow here yet though.  I could sure use some now to make skidding easier.  Hope these temps keep cool like this too so I don't get so sweated up in the bush and the limbs come of easier...  ;)
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Cedarman

Wettest year ever in Louisville Ky.  Over 64".  Wet here too.  Never had toad stranglers, just lots of steady rain.  Even had a droughty perion in the heat of summer.
5 of the last 15 years have been the 5 wettest on record since way back inthe 1800's.
Last Monday guage had almost 3.5".  Already that much with 8 or 9 hours more rain coming.
Glad I have a big log pile.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

reride82

It was -25 F on my drive to work this morning... Some ice, but not much for snow. Yet.  :)  :)  :)
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

SwampDonkey

50F and partly sunny all day. Around 48 now. Only burnt two slabs of maple in the shop stove all day. No fire in the house all day, none tonight neither. :)

Autocar

Rained all day yesturday and more of the same today. Fifty percent of the corn is still standing here in Auglaize cty. Its so wet here ducks are even buying boots ! 43 degrees down to 30 degrees tonight one of the wettest seasons I can ever remember.
Bill

Magicman

OK, so this is normal to some of you and high for others, but our temps are in the 30's and that is cold.  I saw a few snow flurries this morning and that is certainly not our normal weather.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

submarinesailor

Quote from: Magicman on December 07, 2011, 01:33:50 PM
OK, so this is normal to some of you and high for others, but our temps are in the 30's and that is cold.  I saw a few snow flurries this morning and that is certainly not our normal weather.   :-\

And it was 60 degrees when I walked out the door at 0430 this morning.  Aren't we about 800 miles north of you? ??? ???

Bruce

Raider Bill

78 here today couple small wispy clouds. Shorts sandals and a tank top to work. Got to mow my yard later.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Magicman

A little further submarinesailor, but something doesn't seem right.   :-\

Bill, have you decorated the camo house for Christmas yet  ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Raider Bill

Ha Ha I am the anti Christmas guy......... If that red suited fat guy comes near here I'm shooting him. ;D :D

Latest Girlfriend asked me when I was putting up decorations, I'm still laughing at that!

We just got our afternoon shower, here and gone in 5 minutes.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Thank You Sponsors!