iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can you run 50Htz motor in Canada?

Started by BandsawWarrior, April 09, 2011, 09:09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BandsawWarrior

Picked up a twin belt sander.  It has a 40Hp 3 phase 220v motor for the first belt that is 50htz.  I'm assuming the other motor is 50htz as well but it's inside the machine and I can't read the plate.  Has anyone tried running 50htz...does it work?  Will I need some type of transformer?

I'm hoping I can just run it even if it's less efficient or harder on the motors I don't care...it's an old beast.

thanks,
Tyler 
Tyler Hart
T&N Custom Sawmill

bandmiller2

I'am no authority but I think it will just run a little slower,and shouldn't hurt anything if you don't overload. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Larry

I've run some of my 3-phase motors up to 120 HZ off a VFD with no ill effects.  If this is some kind of cutting machine like a moulder, you might use a lot of caution to insure your not running the cutters faster than recommended speeds.

Disclaimer...I've never ran a 50 HZ motor off utility 60 HZ 3-phase so there could be something I'm not aware of.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Brucer

It will run 20% faster if you hook it up to standard 60 cycle AC.

A transformer won't change the frequency. You'll need a special MG set.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

bandmiller2

Whoops wrong way,cycles per second [htz] affects the speed.I used to have a commercial grade electric chainsaw only problem it liked 400 htz would only hum on 60. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

r.man

Just saw a European pellet machine that could not be made to work right.  Finally decided that the 60 hz was running the motor faster which meant the machine was trying to make the pellets faster with the designed hp. The owner ended up putting a different motor on it. If you can regulate your feed speed and your heads will accept the higher rpm then you should be good to go.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

sparks

If it is a NEMA motor you can run it on 50hz or 60hz. Some IEC motor are specic made and the winding may not be able to handle the heat. In theory any AC motor should run on any frequency.
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Brucer

Quote from: sparks on April 11, 2011, 02:59:00 PM
... In theory any AC motor should run on any frequency.

But the speed will be in proportion to the frequency.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

John Mc

Quote from: sparks on April 11, 2011, 02:59:00 PM
If it is a NEMA motor you can run it on 50hz or 60hz. Some IEC motor are specic made and the winding may not be able to handle the heat. In theory any AC motor should run on any frequency.

There can be heat issues if you try to run a motor designed for 60Hz on 50Hz power. However, running a motor designed for 50Hz on a 60Hz line will not cause heat problems (just the speed change, as others have noted).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!