iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stickers Forever! Oh Ya!

Started by OlJarhead, April 06, 2011, 07:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

So I stopped by a sawmill today to ask about buying some stickers from them (I always offer to buy because I beleive in the Free Market!) and was pointed to the mill supervisor.  When I explained that I was running a small bandsaw mill and making my own lumber but ran out of sticker material and was looking for a source he suggested I parked and grabbed a vest and hardhat (which I carry for work anyway).

We began to walk into the sawmill and he explained that they had 5 years worth of stickers including breakages and that the type of sticker they use is an 8 foot laminate sticker.  He then showed me a bin of broken stickers and explained that they BURNED them when they broke.  I offered to buy them (they didn't have a lot at the time) and he said "Hey, I'm going to burn them anyway, you're welcome to them".  He then asked what size I wanted and I told him I'd take anything 36" or longer as long as they didn't mind to which he replied "Well instead of having my guy burn them I'll have him bundle up everything 36" and longer and have ready for you to pick up whenever you want them".

They don't break a lot mind you, so it may take two weeks to get 100 or more but hey, I can be patient when it means FREE stickers :)

Most of the ones I saw were either 2 feet long or 6 feet long (8' stickers broken on one end) which means I could make a lot of 4 foot stickers and have several shorter ones for cant's or beams etc.

I'm pretty darn stoked (can you tell?)

8)
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

OlJarhead

In my excitement I forgot to mention that I'll be getting a full tour of the mill and operation soon :D

WDH

That is a smart move on your part!  I got two pick-up truck loads of broken stickers just like you are describing from a large pine mill.  They are perfect for drying hardwood.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

OlJarhead

Quote from: WDH on April 06, 2011, 09:09:39 PM
That is a smart move on your part!  I got two pick-up truck loads of broken stickers just like you are describing from a large pine mill.  They are perfect for drying hardwood.

Cool :)

These guys are milling some crazy softwood (Cottonwood, Poplar and a few others mixed together) that is grown on farms in Eastern Oregon.  Very light colored wood and apparently very light.

But I'm planning on using the stickers for whatever I mill (pine right now).  I'm pretty stoked actually :)  And getting a good tour should be fun!  When I was there the sawdust was flying and brought back memories of working in a wood plant at a pulp mill almost 20 years ago....good times :)

Dan_Shade

sounds like somebody owes somebody a case of beer  :-D

beer:  it's better than cash!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Bill Gaiche

A good deal on the stickers. I can tell that you are in hog heaven where ever you are when the sawdust is flying, bg

beenthere

And there is nothing wrong with using two short stickers to span the width of the pile. Can even butt them up, overlap a bit, or leave a short gap. (when stickering by hand)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sparky

I needed some stickers a couple of years ago. I noticed several bundles of scrap behind a millwork shop. I walked in and asked to speak to a supervisor. I was told I could have as much as I wanted as I was asking on behalf of a non-profit tractor club. I stopped by a couple of weeks later to pick up two bundles. They insisted that I take 3 bundles. It was all oak and birch and provided a 10 year supply of stickers for our use.

Sparky
I'tnl 2050 with Prentrice 110, Custom built 48" left-hand circular and 52" Bellsaw right-hand circular mills, Jonsered 2171, Stihl 084, and too many other chainsaws. John Deere 3020 and Oliver 1800 with FELs. 20" 4-sided planer and misc.

kderby

The automatic sticker machines do not tolerate a bent or broken sticker.  The mill usually sends them through the hog grinder and they are burned. 

My local mill gave me a trailer load.  I took them home and dressed the ends.  Strong, uniform, laminated stickers and I have over a thousand.  This "big" mill has been very supportive.  I sure appreciate it.  With other mills going under, there has not been a shortage of stickers in Oregon.

Congrats OlJarhead

Here come springtime!

kderby

OlJarhead

Thanks All!  I'm dying to get over there already!  Haven't given them anytime though...but I suspect they like not having to burn the stickers :)

So cool...I plan to go by and get some late next week so I have a load to take to the mill on the weekend...and then it's MILLING TIME!  8)

Buck

Thats great. Those laminated stickers are good. Get millin. We wanta see pics. smiley_whip
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

BOBWOOD

hey...just wondering about the "laminated" part...could you elaborate on that?...around here I use to place stickers in an auto piler which were about 5/8"x1 1/2"x58"....like someone said they didn't accept much variation and were usless if broken on the ends...we were sending some of our SPF lumber to a hardwood (poplar) mill with these stickers and they were sending us their rough cut ones back by the truckload...what a miserable time when they got mixed in the racks  >:(...one time we got a shipment of sticks that someone cut 3/4" thick and that extra bit added up so every time we sent a load out the door it scraped the top tier or two off   :D ....now I work at a mill where we use 3/4"x3 1/2"x8' stickers and the systems are all automated...I love to send all those crappy ones to the chipper as they go by...kinda makes up for struggling with those other ones... :)

backwoods sawyer

The laminated, stickers are nothing more then thick plywood that is ripped to width and run about 33-35 cents each when bought by the truckload. They do hold up well in the automatic stacker but are still subject to breakage and automatic stackers do not like bad stickers.
Recycling stickers from one mill to the next helps out both of you. Just pick a length to trim them to and stick with it, nothing like stacking a unit with 42", 48" and 52" stickers.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

BOBWOOD

Quote from: backwoods sawyer on April 09, 2011, 10:20:10 AM
The laminated, stickers are nothing more then thick plywood that is ripped to width and run about 33-35 cents each when bought by the truckload. They do hold up well in the automatic stacker but are still subject to breakage and automatic stackers do not like bad stickers.
Recycling stickers from one mill to the next helps out both of you. Just pick a length to trim them to and stick with it, nothing like stacking a unit with 42”, 48” and 52” stickers.

Oh I see...always interesting to hear how things are done in various places...as far as those 2 mills go I think they're both bankrupt now anyway!...I like the 8'highx8'wide stacks we use now(with 8' stickers)...way more efficient for handling...

backwoods sawyer

I was down on the chip system one night while the stacker was cleaning up a bundle of stickers that a forklift driver had broken about half of while trying to set them on the infeed. The metal detector kept shutting the conveyor off. Therefore, I would grab an armload out of the conveyor and kept the flow going. While sorting though the pile of stickers I found that they had nuts, bolts, and some slag that had been pressed into the layers and then had been sawn by the plant making the stickers. I kept a couple of those stickers in the office right along with the ceramic spikes, rail road spikes, horse shoes, insulators, ect ect.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Troublermaker

I use to haul lumber from a mill that was close to a plywood factory. They would get all the end and side trimming after the plywood went thru the trim saws. That was about all that they could do with them because of the glue. Before the mill got them the plywood factory use to have a big barn fire a couple times a year.

Magicman

I was checking a job Saturday for layout, etc. and mentioned that I would bring a bundle of stickers.  The customer said "no, I bought some already".  He then showed me 4 bundles of tomato sticks that he had bought from the seed store.  OK.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

OlJarhead

Tomato sticks!  Hey that ought tow work...though sounds kinda expensive.  I plan to pop by the mill in a couple days to see how they are doing and pick a load up :)  I'm excited.

I have a source for pallets too so I'll get some of those also :)

Then it's off to the cabin to mill some lumber this weekend!

Magicman

Quote from: OlJarhead on April 12, 2011, 09:32:03 AM
Tomato sticks!  .....sounds kinda expensive. 

I thought so too, but that is what he did.  We will easily have enough dry ERC to sticker the green Oak.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!