iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A squeeking noise

Started by paul case, February 16, 2012, 09:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul case

Yeah I heard a new noise today. It was only when the head was moving, so it had to be those bearings that ride on the track.
I had looked in the WM book I got with the mill to find all the grease zerks and get them all lubed up when I first got it. The book only showed 3 that needed greased every 4 hours and no other zerks at all. I know that is wrong because there were serveral on the loader, turner, and backstops. Well when I took the covers off of the rollers I expected to find a bearing seized up , but imagine my suprise to find they each had a grease zerk. shot some in each one and waaala. No squeeking noise.
I like to ''fix problems like that.
Does your lt40 have grease zerks on the track rollers? PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

cypresskayaksllc

Not mine. I had a roller that was totally froze and I didnt even know it.
LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

Bibbyman

Quote from: paul case on February 16, 2012, 09:15:58 PM
Does your lt40 have grease zerks on the track rollers? PC

Old ones had zerks, newer ones not.  Our 94 model had them, our 2002 does not.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

WDH

Paul,

I heard a squeeking noise, too, the other day, but if seems that it was coming from my body  :).

Now that you are one of the hydraulically gifted, the squeeks that you hear now come from the mill and not from you.  You have definitely moved up  :D :D :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bandmiller2

In industry those are called cam followers and should be available locally at a bearing supply house,with grease fitting.Sometimes I will relube them if their the side shield type.Heat grease in a can until liquid[be carefull] put the bearing in, shaft up, watch the bubbes as the grease fills the bearing,allow to cool and solidify then remove bearing.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

paul case

Oh I still squeeks. Grease don't help my squeeks. Aleve, tylenol, Ibuprofin, or icy/hot is what it takes to help my squeeks.

I didn't go hydraulic soon enough.

My mill is a 94 and I would bet none of those have been changed since they show a little wear on the face. I would advertise the hours, but I don't think they are correct since the meter quit 1 motor hour after I got the mill home. PC
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

Magicman

Maybe ya belt bungee is too tight and squeaking.   :D :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Paul; You and I have pretty-much the same mill.

Yours is a '94 & mine is a '95.

Don't "over grease" your mill.  Over greasing will cause sawdust to build up.

In the book it says:
Grease blade guide rollers every 4 hours (one squeeze) if you have the rollers with zerks.
Lube the carriage track wiper every 8 hours with penetrating oil.
Lube vertical mast @ 50 hours w/atf
Drum switches @ 50 hours.
Chains @50 hours w/penetrating oil
Change oil in up/down gear box once a year, drain and refill.
Check hyd fluid reservoir @ 50 hours
Up/down gear reducer shaft @ 1,000 hours. zerk
All other zerk fittings @ 50 hours.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Bill Gaiche

MM, I didnt see a grease fitting on that bungee a few weeks back. That could possibly be the inconsistant squeek he hears. bg

paul case

The bungee cord/belt hardly ever squeeks, but it gets lots of laughs, especially at Sunday night church. However, my hearing must be improving cause lately my overalls straps are making some noise! smiley_hillbilly_tub_base smiley_hillbilly_tub_base smiley_dwarf_finished_chair smiley_dwarf_finished_chair smiley_fiddler smiley_thumbsup smiley_bucktooth
pc

amberwood

the cam followers that Wm use are not off the shelf brgs. They look the same but my understanding is that they are specially made.

DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

Ohio_Bill

One of the worst killers of Cam Followers is a bad ground system. If the ground is dirty or resistive the current goes though the Cam Follower bearings and pits them.
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

terrifictimbersllc

My 2001 has no zerks on the top rollers.  On the bottom ones there's a foam pad inside a metal housing with a hole in it , through which I squirt ATF to fill the pads,  every other job or so.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!