iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Me trying to pull photo from gallery, pay no attention

Started by moodnacreek, February 26, 2021, 01:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moodnacreek

Don P

Andries

You'll have 500 Forumites hit the like button with that "talkin' to yourself" post.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

thecfarm

Can't quite see the picture. You need to post more pictures.  :D   ;)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

moodnacreek

Quote from: thecfarm on February 26, 2021, 09:18:12 PM
Can't quite see the picture. You need to post more pictures.  :D   ;)
I'm trying but I need to saw for the spring rush and then I am tired.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Nebraska

Yeah I'd like to see more parts of that mill. No hurry you can add some more here and there.

Don P

Doug, I think I might see the problem you mentioned on another thread about not seeing the "Click here to add photos to post" button.

If you hit the "quick reply" button that doesn't come up.
Look just under the last persons post and click the blue button that says just "reply" and it should come up.

moodnacreek

Quote from: mike_belben on February 27, 2021, 10:26:56 AM
Who says old dougs cant learn new tricks?!
Are you one of those guys who can change the main bearings in a truck stop parking lot?

mike_belben

On the shoulder if i have to.  Truck stop is all pith and trash these days, i prefer not to lay there.

If i knew you then id'a called you to cart me around port jervis for my 3 day thanksgiving headgasket wait.  Those pails of oil and coolant got heavy after the first mile of walkin.
Praise The Lord

longtime lurker

While no-one is paying any attention Doug I'm going to confess that I officially went to the dark side yesterday and bought one of those long skinny wood cutty thingamajigs.

I think it'll work real good behind the real sawmill. (Cuz we both know that real sawmills run circle saws). 
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

moodnacreek

Quote from: longtime lurker on February 28, 2021, 05:25:25 AM
While no-one is paying any attention Doug I'm going to confess that I officially went to the dark side yesterday and bought one of those long skinny wood cutty thingamajigs.

I think it'll work real good behind the real sawmill. (Cuz we both know that real sawmills run circle saws).
And I had faith in you. Things always change.                   Actually I always thought I would get a little band resaw but I guess I have found my niche and how much more can I do.

moodnacreek

Quote from: mike_belben on February 27, 2021, 10:33:00 PM
On the shoulder if i have to.  Truck stop is all pith and trash these days, i prefer not to lay there.

If i knew you then id'a called you to cart me around port jervis for my 3 day thanksgiving headgasket wait.  Those pails of oil and coolant got heavy after the first mile of walkin.
Seriously I see you have paid the price a few times. I can remember doing a split rim on the side of the road.  A friend with his brother took a thermo king unit apart in the men's room one winter night way up on the northway.

mike_belben

i know every shoulder from me to you buddy.  I've been broke on nearly all of them.  

God's saying 'show me how bad do you wanna work that stupid plan you proposed kid.. lets find out how much its worth to you.'  

one trip i limped back from PA to mass with a blown head gasket and a bucket in the cab with a rubber hose from the overflow nipple to catch the water so i would know when to stop and dump it back in.  i get up to mass, next day I'm at the diesel shop with a blown up engine on a skid and wife pulls up with the volvo wagon packed to the ceiling and says say by to the kids.  we are leaving.  we'll see you when you get to TN.  it was over a month before i made it and not for lack of trying. 

head gaskets, pushrods, tranny, splitter, turbo, exploded welds on the coolant system 2x. countless tires, bearings, brakes and brake lines. 2 fires.  trailer axle ejected, DOT extreme.. and never any money.  never.  it was cheaper to spend a year living away in someone else's truck to borrow it occasional then it was running my own.

im a lot of crummy things but a quitter i am not.  

say what you mean
mean what you say
do what you say you're gonna do
and finish what you started
Praise The Lord

moodnacreek

Your last paragraph  is what I always want from people.  To bad you didn't have my number when broke down in port j, if that was a 466 i could have brought one down from Newburgh. I can run with my old ford ranger that has CAR PLATES. That's how I move fuel.  You must be a member of the 'I've been everywhere' club. RIP Hank Snow.

thecfarm

Did you eat at the diner in Port Jevis? Seem like it was only a mile from the exit.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mike_belben

Yeah arlene and toms.  It wasnt bad.. Actually it was the greatest place i ever broke by far.. Dunks, liquor store, diner, welding shop, army navy store and ford dealer all right there, and a patch of woods to squat.

I spread some money around at all the vendors so i wouldnt get towed away.  By day 3 with snow and no heat they were all really nice to me.. I figured any longer and my mail would show up in that parking lot.  I stunk pretty bad too.  I think that was a 5 or 6 day long trip  
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

Quote from: moodnacreek on February 28, 2021, 07:34:24 PM

You must be a member of the 'I've been everywhere' club. RIP Hank Snow.
No just east coast by truck.. I know bangor to miami pretty well.   By truck ive only been a hour or so west of the mississipi.
It is a dt466C.  Trovei up the road from where i was probably had a dozen of em but mine is pretty nasty. Out of frame overhaul, ported head, cut valves, sheetmetal intake runners, big charge pipes, turbo, injectors, pump mods, air to water intercooler etc, wont ever part with it. Thats why it lifts studs and spits brand new gaskets at 30psi.  I had to back off the pump timing and slow down.  Itll go 80 up most grades at 28-32k gross.  After that event ill climb those big ones at 40mph and 10psi..like a glass slipper.

This is a oxy propane flame following the radius of the sheetmetal contour i fabbed into the intake manifold when changing it from a 2" inlet to all 3" piping.  Boundary layer adhesion.

Praise The Lord

moodnacreek

Mike 'I 84' Belben, Bangor Me. huh?  How about Dysarts truck stop?   

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

moodnacreek

Quote from: mike_belben on March 01, 2021, 09:44:15 PM
No never heard of it
Oh man, I'm surprised. You must have had to turn off south of there. Famous 24/7 restaurant for real. That place is all by itself.   Still got that IH in the pic?  Perhaps a deleted 530 would go in there.

mike_belben

Its not as famous as maines tolls on a 5axle!  I only drove semi to retrieve my stuff from springfield mass so whenever i was allowed to go (6x i think) that was the target.  I managed to get loads to westfield, chicopee and ludlow.. Another was a partial i picked up in boston.. Blocking half a street for hours to rig the machine on back to charlotte.  Lets see.. Took a load of wire mesh up from pittsburg to mid NH.  Cant remember the others.  

Maine means either running 95 (no thanks.. GW +bridgeport, new haven, RI then being parked in boston traffic) or paying the entire MA pike plus the maine pike.  Then there are no backhauls out of maine and fuel is high all over the NE.  Maine is a terrible place to point a truck, 2nd only to RI in terms of outbound freight. 

I have family in ellsworth and have rafted the penobscot a few times so thats what i know of it.. Just car driving.   The peterbilt i did every coastal state from NH to south florida.  PA, NY, ohio, ky, touch of indiana. .. Few loads to NJ. One to missouri then picked steel in armorel Arkansas to get back ..  One load to almost DC when i met NW.  Hmm.  TN/NC/ATL and northeast alabama made up the bulk of it. Lots of brick, block, lumber, matts and steel to come home.  Almost always stone going out except when there was no stone then he'd turn me lose to book whatever best freight i could. 

A fun adventure.  It confirmed i love coming home. Id be a very profitable owner op but it means no other life.  Just not in my plans.  Maybe someday build a big bunk truck and take the wife out to see the flyover states for a year.  I love flatbedding.  The harder it is the more i like it.  Complicate loads, crappy weather, huge climbs, one lane switchbacks in whiteout fog, stupid narrow city traffic jams.  The higher the stress then more thrill i got.  Kinda wierd.  
Praise The Lord

moodnacreek

Mike, I was never a trucker. My grandfather wo raised me was going back to solid rubber and bulldogs. Also used to hang around a truckers gin mill.  Only have a B cdl.  Back in the day one head light and one tail light and 2 good steering axel tires and you could go, in state anyhow. I remember passing a truck , driver stick hid hand out, drop back and proceed through speed trap. That's the way it used to be. Blink marker lights [hello]. blink head lights [on coming] you better slow down and start watching. To day's truck drivers are no different than the car drivers, on the phone and all over the road. How times change. In some rural places, long narrow poor roads, wide heavy trucks they have to be professional but we don't see that.

samandothers

We go up 'Fancy Gap Mountain' on I77 in Va. often.  This past year we have seen 2 truck fires there.  About a 7 mile grade.  It must be tough on trucks.  

mike_belben

Yeah fancy gap and black mountain are truck burners.  I lit the left rear trailer brake once when it hung from a can diaphragm failure but i never lost it on a grade. 

The mega carriers and the newfangled car trucks are what has driven the change to morons.  Lower the skill level so we can pick from lower and lower skilled people mostly from foreign countries who have no rent to pay.. So we can pay them less and less.  Its corporate greed trying to fatten margins and exploit.. Theyll route you to a terminal and fire you 3000 miles from your car over electronic flags from the truck gps.  

And those drivers get a lot of people killed.  They do 55 in the fast lane then all 5 miles of angry trucks are trying to pass them at 75 into the twisties.  The i-40 gorge from TN into NC is very very bad for this.  Its 2 lanes only, like a slalom coarse, fully barriered, only a foot to spare on each side and its on the edge of a cliff and trucks are right lane only. Landslides and repairs cut it down to 1 lane often and its like 4k feet so it snows or ices up quick.  37 mile truck parade of sharp left sharp right sharp left sharp right.  Bears all over but cant know where without CB help.  Flying into sharp turns with a truck a foot away for 3 minutes trying to pass the row of them is seriously very scary.  The no trucks left lane rule is what makes it so stupid dangerous.  If you could stay there without a ticket no one would be piled up and trying to pass 10 trucks in a slalom.

I hate the gorge.. Used to run 3x a day some weeks and cannot believe i never saw any trucks go over the barrier from just too fast into the turn.  At 3am whe  you can use all the lanes its a blast but in the day itll make you scream at the dash for the idiots on it.  Id rather go to the steepest stupidist mountaintop in all of pisgah or nantahala alone in the dark than be with seatwarmers in the gorge.  Im ranting at them again and its 3 hours away!

Anyway.. I dont have any truckers in the family.  But i was desperate and that made me pretty versatile.  
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!