iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

spearment cookie

Started by hackberry jake, April 28, 2014, 04:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

I got an order for a "cookie" cake holder for a wedding. I decided to spearment with using pentacryl to keep it from cracking. I cut a piece off a log with the chainsaw and then put it on the mill. I cut one flat side with the mill then took it to the cnc for surfacing.

I then brushed on pentacryl until it seemed like the absorbtion rate was slowing down, flipped it over and brushed it on the back side til it started puddling. I then put it in a trashbag and poured some over the top and closed the trash bag. I'll let it sit for a couple days and check it.

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Delawhere Jack

Cool Jake, let us know how it turns out. A buddy of mine asked me to make 13 cookies for his wedding. They'll put them under the flower arraignments on the tables at the reception. The wedding is in the middle of June, so I was planning to cut them about a week before to avoid cracking.

Ljohnsaw

:(  I thought this was a cooking item (Spearmint Cookies! yum) - But still interesting, waiting to see how it turns out...
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

JohnM

HJ, is there anything holding the cookie in place on the cnc or just friction?  Hope the pentacryl (will have to google it :P ;D) works out, the cookie looks great.
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

hackberry jake

Quote from: JohnM on April 28, 2014, 09:14:59 PM
HJ, is there anything holding the cookie in place on the cnc or just friction?  Hope the pentacryl (will have to google it :P ;D) works out, the cookie looks great.
Just friction and a slow feedrate.  ;D

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

drobertson

Chips are flying! 8)  always fun stuff!  pretty chunk of wood too!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WDH

Looks like a red oak  :).

Sweetgum and blackgum are not as prone to splitting as they have spiral grain.  However, not as pretty as spearment oak  ;D.

Hopefully the spearment oak will turn out nice. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

hackberry jake

It is indeed red oak. My thoughts on it were, red oak has an open pore make-up and it would let the pentacryl down into the center easier than sweet gum, black gum, elm, and hackberry. But on end grain like that, I imagine all of the above would absorb a fair amount of pentacryl.

WDH

I think that you should have been true to your roots and used hackberry.  It also has twisted spiral grain  ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

hackberry jake

It definately would have been hackberry if a hackberry tree were standing where the new kiln is going... but it was a red oak

yukon cornelius

well had to open this because it sounded delicious! I have never heard of pentacryl. I will have to look it up. is it expensive?
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

hackberry jake

I bought a gallon to do cookies for my own wedding, and ended up just cutting them a couple days before the wedding so they didn't split. I figure I will keep getting people wanting cookies and I don't want to have to cut them every time so I am trying to make some that last. I bought it so long ago that I didn't remember the price, but I looked it up and it's $60 a gallon. I thought it wouldn't take much but the red oak really soaked it up. There is about 1/3 of a gallon in the piece pictured so far...

Thank You Sponsors!