iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cookie Experiment

Started by WDH, November 15, 2017, 08:22:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Wood cookies sell pretty well, but they almost always crack and are a challenge to deal with as large cracks are not desired.  If you sell them green, they have not cracked or warped yet, but they almost always will do one or the other.  Therefore, I would prefer to sell them after they have air dried so the customer can see what the end product will be.  Any cracks or defects will be apparent when they make a decision to buy. 

I decided to try and slow down the drying to help with cracking.  So, I stickered the cookies like I would do green boards to create a small space between layers, covering the top layer with other boards to sandwich the cookies and keep the top layer from drying too fast.  The stickers were some old crown moulding that was left over from my house build more than 35 years ago (35 years!!).  They are 1/2" thick.  Time will tell.  It should only be a few weeks and I will know if stickering them has helped or not.

These cookies are walnut and ERC.  I have found ERC to be less prone to crack than other wood cookies.  After sawing the cookies, I plane them using a sled.  The spiral head on my planer does a good job of smoothing out the saw mark and making the colors much easier to see. 

You can make pretty good money on the cookies.  There are about 150 in this completed stack.  To calculate a price, I determine the "board feet" in the average size cookie by squaring the diameter in inches x .005454 to get the amount of surface area in square feet.  Then multiply by the thickness.  So, a 12" walnut cookie has a surface area of .79 square feet (12x12x.005454) times 1.5 inches of thickness = 1.185 square feet.  This approximates board feet.  So, if I am selling walnut at $8.00/bf, then each cookie will cost 1.185 x 8 = $9.48.  So, I will charge $10 for each walnut cookie.  Using the same logic, the cedar cookies are worth about $5.00 each.  They will sell for those prices if they are not cracked too bad.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

Nice.  So you are planing them green?  With their unusual shape, how do they stay fixed to the sled?
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Magicman

At least those look good now. :)

I have a nice batch of Walnut cookies that I have loaned to wedding parties several times.  They did not crack because I sawed them from a log that was several years old.  Of course the bark is gone.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

The bark will fall off these as they dry because the tree was still growing when the logs were cut.

Robert,

The sled is 19.75" wide and 4' long out of 3/4" plywood with a half inch lip attached to the front.  You put a cookie against the lip, then add another one behind the first butted up to the first, then another, then another.  On bigger cookies, you might only be able to plane 3 or 4 at a time.  Smaller ones can be placed two per row.  In the 10" cedar cookies, I could plane 8 at at time.  The key is to only take off 1/32" at a time, so it can take 3 or 4 passes to get them smooth.  Worth it, though, because planing them smooth really shows off the beautiful colors.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

A "flap" sander on a side grinder also does wonders.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

boardmaker

Didn't someone in the past use heavy duty corrugated cardboard as stickers in the past.  I wonder how that turned out?  I can't remember if that was here or WoodWeb.  The principle seems sound, but it will take a long time to dry.

Savannahdan

I'll be interested in how they turn out.  Also, I tried some PVC pipe for stickers on 8/4s oak.  The stuff is wavy.  Not like the stack that was done with wood stickers, which were nice and straight.  Just an experiment from another discussion.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Texas Ranger

I wonder if you take a single cut to the pith, dry them, then replace a wedge of the same wood, or different, if you would have a saleable product?
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Crusarius

replace the web with a different species? That could look interesting.

21incher

As Magicman did, I recently sawed some walnut cookies from a log that had been drying for over 4 years and they did not crack, but the bark came loose on some of them. I tried making some thin cherry ones and they looked like a funnel after drying for a while. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

irvi00

The cookies I've sold were green and the customer would cut thin plywood to screw onto the bottom to hold them together. Most were one time use. He said that he gave most away after whatever event they were used for.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

YellowHammer

WDH, did you notice any negative impact (rusting) on the planer from the green wood?  I assume the sled will protect the cast iron bed?  The results are fantastic.

Poston, Thats good!
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Magicman

Actually that guy escaped and is now on the loose!!!  Last seen wearing a purple shirt and socks and hiding behind a purple building.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Andries

You guys are killin' me!
. . . and all that purple !
Just how much purble drank can one man tolerate ?
Yellowhammer, you're closer than me.
Get over there and cut the boys offa that drank ! !
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

POSTON WIDEHEAD

To late.......Danny has drank every drop.....Bless His Heart.

Magicman

Somewhere in the midst of all of this lies a Good Country Song.  I just wish that we had a bass fiddle player.   smiley_hillbilly_tub_base

Andries

Name of the song . .
Purple Cookies Crack Me Up
?
OK
I'll call it a day now . .   
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

LeeB

Them white legs really stand out in all that purple.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

thecfarm

:D POSTON  :D
He has to get that mills fixed. He has way too much time on his hoofs.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ellmoe

Quote from: Magicman

Actually that guy escaped and is now on the loose!!!  Last seen wearing a purple shirt and socks and hiding behind a purple building.
/quote]

On top of everything else, a "fashion model" to boot!
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

WDH

Since I am an Admin, I think that I will delete this post.  And delete a few of you as well  :)

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

YellowHammer

Quote from: Andries on November 15, 2017, 09:28:09 PM
You guys are killin' me!
. . . and all that purple !
Just how much purble drank can one man tolerate ?
Yellowhammer, you're closer than me.
Get over there and cut the boys offa that drank ! !
Can't do nothing about it, I've seen them drink clear drank that would run a sawmill if it got near the fumes.

I'm thinking WDH could use the purple drank to make money by serving a swig with each cookie, you know Country Cookies and Kool Aid.  The more the customer drinks, the more they will buy.
YellowHammerisms:

Thank You Sponsors!