iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wood stove ban..

Started by york, January 08, 2009, 07:37:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

york

Albert

SwampDonkey

I'm glad I live where I do.  Not to be insensitive to anyone with allergies, but I like to be warm. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sawguy21

The PC crowd is getting into that act here. A number of municipalities have banned the installation of wood burning appliances, older ones are grandfathered but they cannot be replaced by another wood unit. Outdoor boilers are under strict rules too.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ironwood

Man that is a shame. Some much for living on the frontier. It is a sad day when you cant run into the woods, gather some wood w/ your scout pack and roast a weenie and some marshmellos. YESH! What's next?, are they going to tell us how many gallons our toilets can flush ::) (got two of the old ones before they were outlawed)

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

VT

Mendenhall Valley Is in Alaska , IN-Da-BUSH
Deeper than me in the Bush.
Glad i don't live there either. EPA is saying no to wood burning , but COAL is ok ??
I had days of red eyes and burnt nose from the coal plants making power so every one could have there AC unit on while driving the States and Eastern Canada . Yes some days Temp inversions ,that can happen , but you see it and know, the coal is a presence and i was not aware to it till i was taken to see up close one day last year.

If you want something to pick on , Coal and TN has a real fine mess , and taxes were paid on that , unlike wood heat guys. I have the same  PC crowd trying here. I live in the bush for a reason , every time we have a bad storm , displaced city folks wine about no TV,Internet,Roads with trees down , no power /heat / and this year snow. Some don't even own a shovel..

I swear there should be a test..

Ah sorry i got goin..

VT,

Ironwood

Yeah, kinda makes you wonder when "natural selection " has been artificially messed with. :D ;D
Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

VT

LOL
yes, I mean no real harm , But !!! , pictures in a book are from someones sweat.

VT

Woolywolf

Well, I'm going to step out on a limb here and defend the EPA.  I'm not sure what their mounting evidence is that fine particulate is dangerous, but I'm curious to know.  I agree that it doesn't make sense to ban wood burning, when the alternative is power from coal or oil or hydro.  Getting power from those sources is probably causing a problem somewhere else. However, I think people are going to complain about the EPA regardless.  They seem stuck between a rock and a hard place.

If the EPA didn't instate this ban and people started turning up sick, they would have people suing galore.  There are lawsuits against the government for not protecting people from the soot and dust in the aftermath of 9/11.  I'm by no means saying these are equivalent cases, but I do wonder if the government did all it could to protect people from soot and dust after 9/11, which would have probably meant waiting days and weeks to perform all the appropriate air quality tests and to acquire all the appropriate masks and safety equipment, which would have meant slowing down search and rescue, if people would have sued the government because the didn't perform search and rescue missions faster. 

I grew up in a small town, in the second poorest county in NC, right beside Rockingham, where the old NASCAR track is.  Here is a link to another article http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_14773.cfm  What does it sound like the truck driver has in mind?  In any event, I wish there would have been a ban on DCBP in 1950.   

BBTom

I do not want to demean any of those poor people who have the problem, I was just wondering what health problems there are from the wells.  I see lots of scary chemical names and quotes about how badly contaminated the wells are, but did anyone get sick? 

2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

stonebroke

I was told by a state DEC rep. That the best use for old apple orchards in the Hudson Valley  was being apple orchards. They are so contamined with arsenic that when people buy them up and build houses on them they should not let their kids out to play. They used to spray really bad things but did not know the results.

Stonebroke

Woolywolf

Here is a list of health effects from http://www.cdphe.state.co.us/rma/resourcenotebook/Chemicals/dibromo.pdf
Are people getting sick?  I don't know. Moreover, people could be bigger and stronger because of DBCP for all I know.  I do know, however, that I'd rather not be the one drinking the water to find out.   :-\     

ACUTE HEALTH EFFECTS
High levels of exposure produce CNS depression (rats) which implies that sufficient exposure in
man would produce dizziness, confusion and eventually coma and death. CNS depression from
DBCP was not observed in humans.
DBCP is a mild irritant of mucous membranes. Ingestion of DBCP may result in pulmonary edema.
DBCP is mildly irritating to skin, especially in repeated contact. DBCP is mildly irritating to the eye. It
is not caustic to skin or eye.
Acute ingestion of DBCP may create GI distress. DBCP causes significant liver damage (cloudy
swelling) in animal tests, but this was not seen in man.
DBCP causes kidney damage (nephritis) in animal testing and loss of sperm production with sterility in
human male workers. This was not reversible in the most severely affected men.

CHRONIC HEALTH EFFECTS
Chronic exposure to DBCP (by any route) may be expected to produce damage to liver, kidney, bone
marrow (pancytopenia or loss of red and white blood cells and platelets) and testicles.
Work exposure has resulted in testicular toxicity with sterility. Similar levels of exposure apparently do
not affect ovarian function. Among those males who recovered fertility and fathered offspring, followup
studies did not detect any excess of birth defects associated with prior DBCP exposure.
DBCP damages chromosomes in a variety of test systems and causes cancer in some animal studies.

BBTom

The sterility would be a major concern, since it is documented to have happened in humans.  Sounds like a substance to avoid. 

Other than that, it appears as though this substance is much less toxic than table salt.
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

SwampDonkey

I'll still take my chances with a wood fire. It's been used for centuries and we are still here generation after generations of us. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!