iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Well, it's not a golf ball or a corn cob

Started by Dan_Shade, September 25, 2021, 09:04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

Spent the day making a pile of file handles. 

Making the ferrules was the worst part. 

Doubling them up makes keeping the centers aligned when drilling the hole down the center. 

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Larry

That's a good idea turning two at once.  I have a bunch of Hargrave I beam clamps that I need to replace the missing handles some day.  I'll file away your tip in my memory bank....never to be found when I need it. :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Dan_Shade

It definitely helps to do two at once.

I used a unibit to deburr the copper. 

These are the steps:

1.  Make a template 
2   cut blanks to length for 2 handles, I left about 1-1/2" extra (this is not a requirement) 
3. Turn the handle to rough final form
4. Epoxy ferrule into place 
5. Turn/sand to final form 
6.  Drill centers out
7.  Separate the handles 
8.  Apply finish 

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

SwampDonkey

Pretty impressive. I have a project like that to do as well, for pull handles. The cords have to go all the way through, and pulleys. A whack of'm. ;D

Pulleys I've turned in the past, I turned them in 4's or 6's, cut apart on the bandsaw once sanded down.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dan_Shade

I drilled a hole in a board to clamp the ferrules for deburring.

Dan_Shade

Here's the profile if anyone is interested.

Thank You Sponsors!