iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Duck and run! A circle sawyer initiation.

Started by Jeff, August 03, 2004, 07:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

If'n I do the next thing I do will be ta go furby huntin. ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Wenrich

I know of one sawyer that wouldn't retract his headblocks on the return, but wait until he was ready to load the log.  That means that the headblocks were close to the saw on the gig back.

Well, his mechanical limits became disconnected, due to poor maintainence.  One day he pushed his headblocks front to dump off a piece of blocking.  Since there was no limits, the dogs were now in line with the saw.

Not only did it take off the shoulders, it shattered the saw.  The edger man didn't stop running until he hit the shop.  Pieces of saw rained down everywhere.  The good thing was that no one got hurt.

Mandrel and bearings had to be replaced.   The owner gave the guy an old 48" saw and told him that was all the saw he could handle.   :D
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

D._Frederick

I would think that the mandrel would be the strongest part of the mill. In the old days the fixed saw collar was shrunk onto the shaft then the collar was lathed to true it up. (the arbor hole in the collar was machined smaller than the shaft, the collar  was heated and slipped onto the shaft)  It would seem that with the high strength alloys that you wouldn't need to keep a spare on hand and that it would have enough strength to destroy the center of the saw blade.

Are your saw collars splined on to the arbor?

Furby

Da Furby hunting permit is $1,000,000.00. Please make checks payable to Furby.

[size=0]Disclaimer: Permit is no guarantee of success, Furbies tend to be fast little critters.
Additional permit fees may apply. [/size]

woodhaven

Ron,
How close do you run the dogs to the saw? I have my dogs painted fluorescent orange so I am always aware where they are and are easly seen. But I sometimes doing some special cut will run them so close I have actually watched the saw take the paint off. I bet you have better sense than that.
Richard

Ron Wenrich

We have now put on a mechanical stops.  We can't hit the dogs unless the weld breaks.  Before that, I've shaved the tips off of the dogs.  I also hit the vertical edger with a dog one time.  Those electric limit switches just don't work all that well.

D Frederick

We had a spare mandrel because the inside collar had to be turned.  We feel that you can get a better job done at a machine shop instead of having it turned on the mill.  

I think the collars are pressed on.  The outside collar just slips on and has the shear pins on it.

What happened on the last mandrel, the shear pins did their jobs and sheared. But that caused the saw nut to jam on so tight that it stripped the threads.  

I'm running a short shaft, about 4 1/2'.  With 2 bearings, there's pretty good support and a pretty small span.  I've never bent one of those, even in a bad accident.  You can spring a longer shaft.  Most of those have 3 bearings, but some guys don't loosen that middle bearing when they set their lead.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!