iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need help planning new mill building/yard

Started by Gabby, December 13, 2005, 08:57:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabby

First let me say the people here are very helpful. You all should stop for a few seconds, forget what your doing, and pat yourself on the back. I only wish I could be more helpful.
Here is my situation- recently purchased a Lumbermate 2000 that for some time I'll only be able to operate 12-15 hours/week. Some custom cutting, mostly sales of  hardwood to hobbyist, some flooring materials. Also I will construct some small sheds to sell.   Would like a solar kiln next to shed housing mill. Pour concrete floor and built in spring (Northern NY, minus 18 this am)
Can get white pine delivered ( for shed) for about $340/1000. Would like some storage next to mill.
Was thinking 24x36?  too small?
ps Enclosed on all 4 sides.
Thanks
Never enuf time

Murf

I think the general rule of thumb is to carefully calculate all the spaces you need, add them all together, then leave a little extra space for good measure ......

Then multiply that number by at  least 5 times!!  :D

Two things you will never have enough of are time & space.
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Coon

Just for a little note to yourself..... What is the longest logs you will cut?
In building your saw shed build it atleast double the length of the longest logs you will be cutting and the width atleast half as wide as your length or wider.  If you are going to be using an edger then your building should be bigger again.  Remember that you can never have too much room in the saw shed because it is just like your shop..... you'll always find something to use it for besides the sawing. :D :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

rebocardo

Ideally, the building should be long enough to completely fit your truck or trailer so you can load it from the back as you saw the wood with the doors closed. Since most trucks or trailers are going to be about 20 feet long, that would leave barely 16 feet for the mill and length of log. Just to toss this in, what are you going to do about dust removal?

Gabby

Rebocardo- good question. I added a piece of inner tube to my discharge and it does a good job of leaving sawdust on cement floor, then shovel?
Never enuf time

ksu_chainsaw

When you pour your floor, make a trough in the floor where the sawdust will be blown into.  Then go find a drag conveyor to put into that.  Make a metal grate to put over the top, and then you have a built in sawdust removal system.  then you only have to move the sawdust after it gets outside.  You could always put another drag conveyor outside that will load a trailer, or just pile it up. 

Charles

Thank You Sponsors!