iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

One man's trash is another man's treasure

Started by rbjones03, March 23, 2006, 03:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbjones03

A good friend of mine pulled these out of the basement of an old farm house built in 1868. He ask if I could try to do something with them. There were 8 of them. What do you guys think was it worth the trouble?

Peterson WPF 8 HI-LO Large Frame

TexasTimbers

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

rbjones03

No cedar and the heart was solid as the day it was put up. ..... and didn't get to keep a single piece.

TexasTimbers

Well that don't sound right he shoulda let you have a piece.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

woodsteach

That is good looking cedar, and what no metal! 

Did you use a metal detector or just keep your fingers crossed?

Paul
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

rbjones03

Just kept my fingers crossed and looked really hard before the cuts.

Engineer

Can you give me an idea of how big those posts were?  It's part of a buying decision I am trying to make - how small can you reasonably cut with a swingblade.   ???

brdmkr

Engineer,

I know you weren't asking me, but I almost feel like I have to chime in on the small log/swingblade question.  I really don't like less than about a foot on the small end.  However, I suppose you can cut as small a log as you can get to hold still.  I have rigged up some small log bunks and home-made dogs that I hope to try out soon.  I think they will hold things steady enough for me to saw down to 6 - 7 inches without too much trouble.  I really wonder about the yield with a swingblade on small logs.  It just doesn't seem that it will be nearly as efficient as a band mill when sawing smaller logs.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

rbjones03

Quote from: Engineer on March 23, 2006, 06:02:57 PM
Can you give me an idea of how big those posts were?  It's part of a buying decision I am trying to make - how small can you reasonably cut with a swingblade.   ???

The post were about 8". I built a set of dogs that could hold a 2x4 steady if I had a mind to. I'll see if I can get some pictures and post them.

So far all of my customers have commented that the actual yield of my swing mill is probably better than a band mill, because I take time to get board from the top of the log when I'm opening it, from the sides as I drop down and I'm constantly trimming out stickers from the edges of the log when I came. It takes a little more time, but most customer are more impressed with quality and quanity rather than spped.

Thank You Sponsors!