iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Exhibition in Monroe, Mi

Started by Todd, March 24, 2006, 09:55:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

I am going to be going up to the city woodlot in Monroe, Mi. monday, March 27 and Tue. the 28th to do a little demo about utilization of eradicated Ash logs and city trees in general.  Its the first road show for us, so anyone in the area that wants to come and heckle or help feel free .  The woodlot is at 222 Jones Ave. in Monroe,  and I hope to be milling somtime after 9 that morning.  

Also, if anyone that goes on-site to mill often has some suggestions, please share them.
Thanks
Todd
Making somthing idiot-proof only leads to the creation of bigger idiots!

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Todd

Thanks Jeff.
Got our new logrite peavey and pickaroon along with some peltor type helmet systemsand a set of chaps from Timber Pro last week, so we'll at least we might look like we know what we're doing ;D

Shawn

I have a neighbor who has 3 or 4 ash trees. one has not been infected. He wants me to cut them all down. I told him I would mill it too. I know we have to burn the bark. What are some things I should know? Or is that what the demo will explain?
Shawn...
Change is part of the design process.

Admit nothing, Deny everything, Make counter-accusations

estiers

Shawn - If the destination of the final product is in Brownstown, then you do not have to do anything special.  If the destination is outside of the EAB quarantine area, you need an inspection by someone like me to make sure there is no bark on the lumber, and then receive a certificate so you can move it.  Your other option is kiln drying, but you still need an inspection and certificate to move it out of the quarantined area.  Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

Shawn

Erin,
Thanks for your reply. I plan to mill the lumber for own personal use. I am going to air dry it, unless I find a kiln close by. Do you know of a kiln in southeast MI? There will be no bark on my lumber when done. Clinton is a very nice town, I'll be out there Sat. visiting a friend. Thanks again for all your help.
Shawn...
Change is part of the design process.

Admit nothing, Deny everything, Make counter-accusations

estiers

Shawn - As long as your personal use is inside the quarantined area, then you don't need a certificate.  As for the kiln, I can't help you out there, but I am sure there are some down that way.

Todd - Great show.  Thanks for the education about mobile mills!
Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

Todd

Well, the demo went well and no one was killed!! 8)

John Giarmo, forestry supervisor for Monroe and the whole Monroe forestry crew were great. We milled alot of lumber for benches and picnic tables, some banger boards for the water departments dump trucks, some blanks for an employee that makes solid body guitars, and some heavy table tops for forestry's new building.

Thanks to Jessica Simons of SE Mi RC&D for helping to set it up, Jenny Stanger of MSU Monroe extension for comming out, and Erin Stiers, PPQ officer for APHIS who came out and showed me what to look for in de-regulating Ash.

Here's a pic of our setup at the woodlot:

Thank You Sponsors!