iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ALASKA SPRING BEAR HUNT

Started by Warthog, March 06, 2008, 07:48:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warbird

Quote from: Warthog on March 06, 2008, 07:48:06 AM
Just checking to see if anyone out here has gone to or lives near the Ketchikan area.  I will be heading there the end of May for a Bear hunt and thought I should check if anyone is from around there.

Thanks!

W.H.

Howdy!  I live in Fairbanks, a ways north of Ketchikan.  Are you going to be staying in just that area or are you seeing other parts of Alaska, too?  I've been in Juneau but never Ketchikan; however, I have a couple of acquaintances who live there.  I can run a couple of questions by them if you need.

Good luck on your hunt!

WildDog

Warthog my son and I have found the slick tricks 100 and 125 gr to be the best for us with no planeing.

Have fun and good luck.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Warthog

Time flys, here I am less than two weeks away from the hunt.  I'll be running a check list today, but most everything should be in place.  I have been shooting alot of 3-D shoots and am confident in my bow, all I need now is a nice chubby bear in front my pin.  I am planning on snapping alot of photos, if you guys would like, I'll post some of them when I return.  The plan is to hunt near the Ketchikan area for a week and then head home, so I'll have to schedule a return trip some day to see another part of the big state.

Warbird

Sounds like a great time.  You stay safe, get a nice big bear, and have an awesome time.  It goes without saying that we'll all be wanting to see some pictures.  :)

fuzzybear

If Ketchican is anything like it is here this spring you'll have your pick of bears. I have had 3 different  bears on my wood lot in the last week. 2 grizzly and 1 black. All of them were healthy and very nozy.  One of them loves to chew on things fer sure. Last count was 2 fuel jugs, 1 atv seat, 1 couch, 1 mattress, and 2 cupboard doors.  And to top it all off he left a little treat in the middle of the cabin floor for me. :D
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

Warbird

I wonder if he's down in Ketchican hunting now? ???  Can't wait to hear all about it.

pappy19

I had a buddy that worked for the Forest Service and he transferred to Ketchekan and the first year he was there, he said they counted 36 days of sunshine out of 365. The rest of the time it was raining or foggy. No thanks.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Warbird

That's one of the reasons I don't live there.  Sure are lots of bears, tho.  ;)

Raider

Just talked to "Wart" by his cell phone. He is in the Harbour and about ready to shove off for the hunting spot. 8) Bright sunny day and for the next couple. Will try an update as I hear any thing. I asked him how it looked, "Breath-taking"...   Raider

Warbird

Yeah...  breath-taking is a good description.  Alaska has lots of spots like that.  Tell him to come back and visit in the middle of winter, tho.  Whole different story.  ;)

Thanks for giving us the update.  Keep us informed as you find out how he's doing!

smwwoody

I wish I would have seen this earlier.  I live 40 miles north of Ketchikan.  I was in KTN on the 22nd through the 25 waiting for a float plane to fly me home after my spring Brown bear hunt.  There is no roads where I live you can only get to my house via float plane or boat. 

Raider if you here from him before he leaves for home tell him if he needs ANYTHING call me.  I will PM you my number.

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Warbird

*gasp*  Another Alaskan FF member!! 

Warthog

Just got back into town; what an awesome trip!!!  I will try to get some pic's posted tomorrow, I am exhausted right now.  No bear for me, but I have more than a fair share of stories to tell, especially about how a momma Brownie and two cubs ruined a black bear opportunity of mine. :o  Will post more later, sleep for me now.

Left Coast Chris

I guess the bears are everywhere you don't want them and no where to be found when you really try to hunt the one you want.  I worked on Prince of Whales Island (just west of Ketchican) for a number of years building a wood fired power plant and we had to take a good risk getting out of the pickup at the dump there were so many bears.  And when I went salmon or dolly varden fishing on the rivers the bears were everywhere.  Try to hike thorugh the forest and you will not go to far without finding a bear trail or bed.  It gets a little scarry when you battle your way through thick brush only to find a fresh bear bed with plenty of bones around. 
Every year there is someone killed by a bear.   Glad Warthog had a good time.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

asy

Quote from: Warbird on May 31, 2008, 10:09:00 PM
*gasp*  Another Alaskan FF member!! 

It's COOL!!!   So many people to visit if I ever get there ;)

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Gary_C

Quote from: asy on June 03, 2008, 03:32:21 AM

It's COOL!!!   So many people to visit if I ever get there ;)

Asy, you better be careful if you ever get to Alaska. You are programed to stand on this earth upside down and if you went to Alaska you would be standing on your head.   :D :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Warthog

OK, Here is a go at posting some pic's:

Nice Halibut

Another Fish; 100# Halibut- My first ever, what a fight, great eating also!

Sea Creature we caught- not sure how to clean this one?

Warbird

Very nice!  Looks like you had a great time.  And you managed to catch some sunshine.  Well done!  ;D

asy

Quote from: Gary_C on June 03, 2008, 11:07:59 AM

Asy, you better be careful if you ever get to Alaska. You are programed to stand on this earth upside down and if you went to Alaska you would be standing on your head.   :D :D

Don't you worry, Gary, I'll take the risk!!!

Especially with fish like those!!!  WOWWEE!!!

Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

arojay

Asy,  Alcan is another term for the Alaska Highway.  I've been away from the internet for a while , working on highway reconsruction or I would have responded sooner.
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

isawlogs

Asy , It's a road extending from Dawson Creek, British Columbia, Canada, to Fairbanks, Alaska, USA, ... Length: 2452 km (1523 miles),  Alcan Highway (Alaska-Canada  Highway)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

pappy19

If you ever decide to drive it, get a copy of "The Milepost" , which will tell you everything you want to know about each mile of the highway to the midnight sun.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Warbird

Quote from: pappy19 on July 17, 2008, 10:42:39 AM
If you ever decide to drive it, get a copy of "The Milepost" , which will tell you everything you want to know about each mile of the highway to the midnight sun.

Great advice.  It is a good read, even if you aren't driving the Alcan!  It has tons of spectacular pictures and lots of descriptions.

Thank You Sponsors!