iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need to pick a saw

Started by underdog, August 27, 2008, 02:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

underdog

Hello.
Yes i am new here. Yes i used the search function. Yes i have been doing my homework.
First off some info -- I am a broke down wrek, I have about 100 acres of woods to tend.
So i need a lite go to saw that is not scared of much. Would like to run a 20" bar.
I have it narrowed down to three choices.
Dolmar PS-5100sh - 11.2 pounds - 50.7-cc - 3.8 hp
Husqvarna 460 - 12.8 lbs - 60.3cc - 3.7 hp
JONSERED CS 2159 TURBO - 12.3 lbs - 59 cc - 4.1 hp

I am leaning heavely towards the Dolmer. It seems to be a good package for a good price.
But am conserned about replaicing the bar as they claim it uses an odd bolt size.
So what do you think?
Have a better idea?

Tom

You're fixing to get all manner of opinions, Underdog.
Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  :)

When I was looking for a saw, the only thing I was told by the pulpwooders in the area was to get one with 4 cubic inch engine and a twenty inch bar.  I should make my choices from Husky or Stihl.  Husky had less bench time if maintenance was needed which meant that I could wait on it at the shop whereas I'd have to come back tomorrow to get the Stihl.

I ended up with a Huskey 61 and have never  been sorry.

Now, that doesn't tell you which saw to buy.  This happened many years ago.  But, it might help to make your decision easier by cutting to the core of the problem.  :)

Cut4fun

The 5100 is the small Husky mount, not odd at all IMHO.  Same as the 359 bars you are looking at.

beenthere

Good luck with the decision. ...and welcome to the forum.
I can only speak highly of the Stihl MS361.

I'd suggest you select a dealer you like and can work with, and go with that brand for being the happiest logger in your woods. Having a good dealer is priceless.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

isawlogs

I gotta go and agry with Beenthere  :-\ ;D   :D 
Find the dealer that is the closest and has best reputation near you , go with him , all them saws are good saws , I lean a little towards Stihl myself but they aint in the equation  :-\
Only advice I will give ya is , get a pro series saw . They will be a little more s'pensive but well worth the few bucks extra in the long run .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Old_Hickory

hello  have been faced with the decision myself.Ive ended up with a 346 xp and a 372 XP  I had a 441 but sold it and got the 372 XP.My 346 wears a 16 bar in pulls it with authority and my 372 pulls a 20 with amazing results.I'm not sure what size most or your cutting would be.a 357 XP is between them  and hear its a great saw also
gotta love those XP saws

Rocky_J

Husky and Jonsered are both made by the same company and many models are 'twins', just like Ford/ Mercury or Chevy/ Buick/ GMC.

The Husky 359 is the same saw as the Jonsered 2159, just for your information. This model is thought of highly on several of the chainsaw forums. I am not familiar with the Husky 460, it's a new model with no real track record yet. I don't even know if it's a pro saw or homeowner model.

Some may say that the Husky 359/ JRed 2159 isn't a true pro saw, but it has all the pro features of the XP saws and many prefer it over the 357XP.

The Dolmar 5100 is also a hot little saw, but it's a bit smaller and is considered to be in the next smaller category. It's more comparable to the Husky 346XP in size and weight. Excellent power to weight in a small package.

The Stihl 361 has been getting great reviews so far, but it still has the same problem as most modern Stihls with the anemic oiler. Stihl has gone too far in reducing oiler output (for environmental reasons) and would rather see you buy more bars and chains than allow a little more oil to flow. I would own one myself if it weren't for the oiler, and the upgrade 460 oiler is a hundred bucks. For that much money I can buy another Husky 372XP.

Old_Hickory

if you get the 372 XP  you will not regret it best saw I have ever used
gotta love those XP saws

underdog

372xp = 700.00 and better than 13 Lbs looks like a nice saw though.
I am not handling more than Husqvarna 460 - 12.8 lbs; and it is about out of  the race on weight.
The other two are alot more affordable.
So that leaves the other two.
Cut4fun  thanks.   I did a bunch more reading 
Windsor claims they make a bar 20" in either .325 or 3/8 in .050 and .058
Oregon claims 20 in .325 and .050 and .058
So whats the big difference between .325 and 3/8 chain? i think i read the .325 takes a narrow cut.
And what is the difference in  .050 and .058
What would be the desirable combination for a 50cc to 60cc saw
346xp - 3.7 hp - 10.6 lbs  looks like a competetor. The  357XP or XPG - 12.1 lbs -  4.4 hp  looks nice but the price is high.

Old_Hickory

yes but the 372 at 13,4 lbs for a few ounces diff will blow away the 460
gotta love those XP saws

Cut4fun

underdog what state you in. I have a 357xp you can test drive in my presence and a 372xpw = 375. Be warned both is woods ported. Had a stock 361 and sold it cheaper then you are pricing new for. You might want to look at good used saws.
If weight is a issue you are limiting your choices greatly.

What wood size and types are you wanting to cut with a 20" and 50cc saws?

underdog

So it is coming down to.
Dolmar inboard clutch --  i like this better
husky outboard clutch
And the matter of chains and bars
The husky comes with a 20" bar

Ironwood

I have the fortunate fate of having a serious professional saw shop here that carries both Husky and Stihl. I am on great terms with them and usually buy trade-in saws at great prices with outstanding service (as they are used), I have purchased nearly every saw in my fleet from them used, and have been thrilled with the deals. I am only saying this to enlighten you to another option,  IF you have a great dealer near by that will stand behind even a used saw it may be a way to get what you need reasonable, or in my case buy TWO.

2- 394xp's, 2-372xp's, 2-338xp's,  Notice they are all pro models, that was good advice the other poster gave. I have had Stihls, they are good too, I just got bitten by the RPM bug ;D :D

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

thecfarm

Welcome to the forum,underdog.I have no idea about in and out clutches.Probaly as much as you will use yours,if won't matter either way.I would be more concerned about a dealer that I like.That would be the selling point for me.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

underdog

Quote from: Cut4fun on August 27, 2008, 08:19:40 PM
underdog what state you in. I have a 357xp you can test drive in my presence and a 372xpw = 375. Be warned both is woods ported. Had a stock 361 and sold it cheaper then you are pricing new for. You might want to look at good used saws.
If weight is a issue you are limiting your choices greatly.

What wood size and types are you wanting to cut with a 20" and 50cc saws?

Sunbright Tennessee nearest dealer i can find is about 50 Miles away.
Shoot me a price on the 357Xp.
Yes i am a broke down wreck. i weighed all the saws i have and about 12Lbs is all i can handle.
I am trying to learn one tree from another. but mostly small to medium sized hardwoods. Alot of limbing work and firewood.

Ironwood

If you are that broke down, did Stihl come out with a saw that incrementally "wound" it'self . then you hit the switch and it cranks it over on it's own. ???

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

underdog

Quote from: Ironwood on August 27, 2008, 08:35:57 PM
I have the fortunate fate of having a serious professional saw shop here that carries both Husky and Stihl. I am on great terms with them and usually buy trade-in saws at great prices with outstanding service (as they are used), I have purchased nearly every saw in my fleet from them used, and have been thrilled with the deals. I am only saying this to enlighten you to another option,  IF you have a great dealer near by that will stand behind even a used saw it may be a way to get what you need reasonable, or in my case buy TWO.

2- 394xp's, 2-372xp's, 2-338xp's,  Notice they are all pro models, that was good advice the other poster gave. I have had Stihls, they are good too, I just got bitten by the RPM bug ;D :D

Ironwood
I am not afraid of used. Just need to figure out what exactly i am looking for.
Heck the little woman just told me the other day all my equipment is junk. Did not hurt my feelings one bit.
It all gets the job done and has no payments due.
I have never been a fan of Sthill.
I have two of those lumps laying out here so old and tierd it is hard to tell what they are.
I think one is an 041 Farm Boss and the other is smaller and has Wood Boss on it.
Ironwood 
It hurts me even trying to crank the Farm Boss.
Been trying to get by with a 50cc Polan but it is just a waste of time even dragging it out. It runs good but only cuts reluctantly and you can forget about a straight cut with it.

Ironwood

You will be tickled with a "new" saw no matter which you pick, there have been leaps and bounds in user friendliness and ease of use. Enjoy.

Ironwood

boss hoss

a saw that cranks itself??? 8)
sign me up!
fill me in (i think you're joking   :D )-where do i get one??
IT TAKES TORQUE TO TACKLE TREES-DOES YOUR SAW HAVE A GEARBOX?

underdog

When i was alot younger :-\
There where lawn mowers simular. You cranked a handle on top then pushed a button.

Husky's are getting hard to buy.....
So we have a list of candidates.
This is about the correct order. Now to find the one i cannot live without.
JONSERED 2159C        12# - 59cc
HUSQVARNA 357XP     12# - 57cc
Dolmar PS5100S         11# - 50.7cc
Husqvarna 359            12# - 59cc
Solo Model 656           11# - 56cc

Thanks for thinking about this with me.
A Sexy red and black chainsaw would be very nice. "I think"

beenthere

Quote from: boss hoss on August 28, 2008, 09:14:46 AM
a saw that cranks itself??? 8)

Not exactly the way you interpreted what ironwood said... :)

but what he said isn't a joke.  Nice Stihl feature for anyone who has difficulty pulling the starter rope.  :)

Search the Stihl site for the "easy start" saws...believe there are 4 to choose from. Other brands may have the same feature. The demo I saw was impressive.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

John Mc

Underdog (I used to work with a guy in Ohio by that nickname) -

Are you sure you need a 20" bar? You open up a lot more options, and at lighter weights if you can go a bit shorter.

The Jonsered 2152 or Husky 353 (sister saws, 51.7 cc, 3.3 HP) do a good job with 16-18" bars and weigh about a pound less than the 2159/359 you are considering. I own a 2152 with a 16" bar running .325 pitch chain. I'm happy with it. When I'm cutting larger hardwoods (over 12" or so) I sometimes wish for more power, but I sure don't miss the extra weight. I have a friend with a 353 who runs a 20" bar on it. While the specs say it will handle it, that's pushing it in my opinion, but he's quite happy with it. These are both in what Husky calls the "Landowner" category, a midrange between homeowner and pro saws. The 359/2159 are also in this category.

In the pro saw arena, look at the Husky 346XP (look for the newer models with the 50.1 cc engine. The older ones were smaller engines).

I've found the longer bars to be a false gain for me. I don't cut much that buries my 16" bar, and when I do, I'd rather carry the lighter weight, smaller saw and work from two sides. This beats carrying a heavier saw around all day for that rare occasion I need it. My friend cuts the same wood as I do. He prefers the 20" bar for the extra reach when limbing, so he doesn't have to bend over as much. I've found that reaching out to cut with the end of a 20" bar bothers my back anyway. I'd rather just bend my legs to get down to the low lying branches.

If I didn't already own a 2152/353 type saw, I'd probably go with the Husky 346XP. More power than the 2152, similar weight. I'd still run a 16" bar, but might keep a larger bar handy for those days when I knew I was going to be in larger wood.

Something to think about, anyway. Good luck in your search.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Roxie

I've got one of the Stihl easy start chainsaws.  You pull the rope (as slow as you like) until resistance is felt, and the saw does the rest.  I love it so much that I bought a weed wacker with the same feature.  If the old gray mare just ain't what she used ta be, I highly recommend the easy start. 

Say when

Cut4fun

I said try,  not buy :'( even thought the saw is still like new). To see the weight difference and power of both.  It would be in your budget if I did sale though.
Wouldn't be fair though being woods ported and then you buy a stocker, the bug might bite you  ;D and that would only cost you even more down the road.  But that is a way to get more saw in the lighter package.

Talking about being a rpm junky, I broke out a 084 with 21" to cut up rail road ties yesterday. I dont remember them being that easy 12 years ago, with my little TH Poulan of 33cc's  8)

Cut4fun

If you are talking $400 budget new I would get the 5100 or 359 or I would get a used 361 that you can check out close and test drive from the dealer, I just dont like the builds of the clamshell saws like the H 460 which is big brother to the 455, just a personal preference.
You know even those saws weigh 17.5 lbs when filled up ready to use and just running 16" bar and chains. So dont be fooled by the 11-12 lbs on a PHO weight no b+c and some of those weights they dont even include the clutch covers.       

Thank You Sponsors!