iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Garden tool shed

Started by BRichard, November 28, 2010, 05:12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BRichard

Hello all.

So my wife and I bought our first home and a little bit of land.  We are slowly turning it into Self sustaining farm.....I need to build us a garden shed for our Veggie Gardens....I know I can go get a small one pre-built from Lowes for fairly cheap but what fun is that...
  I figured why not cut down a few tree's, frame one in with a flat roof, and cover it in metal......Before I go cutting down a bunch of tree's I figured I should do some research on what's best to use.......We live in Middle GA and believe it or not, Not much pine on the property....

suggestions?

WDH

BRichard,

Sounds like a great project!  Where in Middle GA?  Go to your profile and add in your location so that we know where you are at  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

fishpharmer

Hi BRichard, welcome to FF! 8) 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Mad Professor

Welcome!!!

What do you have besides pine? How big are the trees to work with? What will you mill/transport them with?

How big of a shed?

Foundation? bugs/termites present?

BRichard

Well, we have some ash, some elm I think, some oak that I am not willing to cut......a few monster pines that I am also unwilling to cut.....lol.

Most of the ash looks to be um, not sure how big......30ft maybe?  Dang, I guess I should know this stuff.....We have only been here for 3 weeks now so I haven't really took a good look...we have about 2 1/2 acres that are completely wooded.....with the other 2 thin cut.......there is a BIG pine tree farm next door with some monsters....I wonder if they would sell me a few.....

the shed is going to be more then likely fairly small due to my current budget.....maybe 20x10?? 

I would like to do everything on the property and by hand, including the milling and what not....if its possible.....this project is kinda dual purpose...

1. The need for a shed

2. I would like to learn the process without outside help from a mill or power tools  <---possibly a very handy skill to have in the not so distant future....

WDH

BR,

Let me know if I can help you in any way. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Brad_bb

I don't mean to rain on the millers parade, but you know there is a lot of reclaim out there.  If your a good scrounger, you can probably get some good prices on some.  It looks cool too.  Preferably pressure washed clean first.  I always would prefer to keep the trees on my property, but then again, I hardly have any trees to begin with  :(
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

northwoods1

Quote from: Brad_bb on November 30, 2010, 01:08:06 AM
I don't mean to rain on the millers parade, but you know there is a lot of reclaim out there.  If your a good scrounger, you can probably get some good prices on some.  It looks cool too.  Preferably pressure washed clean first.  I always would prefer to keep the trees on my property, but then again, I hardly have any trees to begin with  :(

That was my 1st thought also, even though I have a sawmill I still manage to collect some good reclaimed material from here and there. Good luck on your self sustaining living project, I think learning how to mill lumber and utilize local wood for building purposes (including reclaimed :)) is a very important part of being self sustainable having a ready supply of material available for various building projects will make a lot of things possible.

BRichard

Thanks guys for the info.........after you cut down whatever tree's you plan on using, and after you skin them, do you need to let it cure for some time before you start nailing away?

fred in montana

woodmizer lt15, mf 65 tractor
logdovetailjig.com

Brad_bb

If you're going to timberframe it, you can cut it green and raise it and let it cure in place.  But remember, If you cut a couple pieces, then go away for a few months, then come back and cut the rest of the frame and raise it, it's not all going to line up properly.  If it's green wood, cut the joinery all at once and get it up and together right away.  Otherwise you have drying and shrinkage and things you started earlier may not fit up with stuff you did later.  The larger the timber the longer it takes to cure.  They generally say and inch per year, but big timbers will take many years longer as the moisture in the center will take progressively longer to work it's way out.  Plus it will only dry to the ambient moisture level average over time.  The other option is to cut your material and let it dry for a few years, then once it's dry, you can frame as you have time.  With reclaim, it will already be dry, and nothing will move as long as it stays dry.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!