iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to eat a biscuit

Started by DanG, November 15, 2007, 02:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

I copied this from something I was reading.  Sound's good to me! ;D

I opened the safe, took a biscuit off a plate, and punched a hole in it with my finger. Then with a jar of cane syrup, I poured the hole full, waited for it to soak in good, and then poured again. When the biscuit had all the syrup it would take, I got two pieces of fried pork off another plate and went out and sat on the back steps . . .

"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

LeeB

Sounds good to me too. I tried to teach these cooks out here on the rig to make bicuits, but after the third pan full of hockey pucks I gave up. >:(
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Tom

LeeB

Rolled biscuits that have been kneeded too much will be tough.  Also rolling too thin can make them hard.

I think that is why a lot of cooks make "Drop Biscuits".  We got Drop Biscuits when Grandmom was in a hurry or sometimes just for the looks at a Sunday Dinner.  Because they don't get handled too much, they are usually very fluffy, almost too much so.  I guess, like pancake batter, they coul be mixed too much and it might make them hard.

Drop Biscuits are a good way to get someone started making fluffy biscuits.

I like the rolled ones best because they make the best sandwiches. :)

Radar67

Filling that hole full of sugar is good too.  cone_1
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

LeeB

Tom,

Between the language barriers and the low quality of ingrediants, it's just not worth it. They make pancakes but calling them that is really stretching the discription. I'm already too fat anyway. It won't hurt me any to do without till I get home.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Tom

A tour without biscuits!   You poor fellow. :'(

WDH

My Momma made the best biscuits you could imagine.  She also made blackberry jelly.  That is a great combo, and throw in some country ham, and WOW!

She taught my wife how to make them. 

The hole with the syrup and the fried pork, Mmmmmmmmm.  Now that is the way to eat a biscuit.  Fried pork goes with a biscuit like grits go with eggs ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

LeeB

Fried pork goes with most bout anything.

thecfarm

Both of my Grandmothers could make some nice biscuits.The one that lived across the road had all of the fresh items to make them with.They are some good toasted on a top of a cook stove and ate with some eggs and bacon.They have to be a few days old to really hold together well.Could cut them 3-4 times too.Now that's a biscuit.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

LeeB

My Granny couldn't cook worth a DanG, but man could she make the buscuits. The were like honey flavored air in your mouth. Seem like I rememer them a drop biscuit of sorts. Fresh butter and stwrberry preserves.

treecyclers

MMMMMMMMMMMM! Biskits!
I have the privelege of having fallen in love with a wonderful young woman, originally from Mobile, AL.
When I went with her to meet her folks, her momma taught me how to make them ferociously delectable biskits the south is so DanG famous for!
Light, Fluffy, tasty, yummy!
though I have botched a few batches, I will say that the secret to "proper" biskits is simple - self rising flour!
White Lilly is my personal favorite!
Superdave
I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

metalspinner

QuoteShe taught my wife how to make them.

Now how on earth did you get your wife to listen to your momma on how to cook anything. ???

I seem to be caught in the middle of those two all the time.  I better not even bring up Mom's spagetti sauce.  I will spend the night out in the cedar shack. :-X
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

beenthere

metalspinner
That's good....my wife learned a lot from my mother, and handled it well. But my sister-in-law, will start bawling whenever my brother says anything about Mom's cooking.  Had some home-made dill pickles out once, and my bro said "Mmmm, just like Mom made", and ya shouldn't have to ever hear that commotion and carryin on.   :)

My wife's Mom was a great cook, but wasn't interested in letting her daughter in the kitchen, so .... it didn't get passed on.  ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Don K

treecyclers, Where in the world did you run up on a girl from Mobile? The potential should be there for a great cook. ;D

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

treecyclers

Gang,
Yes, I done found me a true southern woman, y'all!
From grits, to conecuh sausage, White lilly flour, Jambalaya, and the list goes on and on, yes, she's a heck of a cook. And her sweet potato pie? To DIE for!
She only makes those during the holidays, and WOOHOO! The holidays are here again!
I actually met her at a Rodeo in Prescott, where we were doing volunteer work for the Prescott Frontier Days Rodeo.
And, don't tell anyone (I know she doesn't get in here at all, so I am pretty safe), but I have a plan...
We met at that rodeo around the 4th of July, about 3 years ago.
This summer, at that same rodeo, I'll be proposing to her.
The general idea is, I'll be bringing her folks and my folks out in stealth mode, and putting them all up at a hotel in town, while she an I are at my house.
I'll be making arrangements with the announcer's booth, to get a few minutes in between the bronc rising and bulls, to bring her down from the security booth, and propose to her right there in the center of the arena, in front of our families, God, and everyone.
Nothing like going over the top, eh?
When she says yes, my friend Randy will wed us on the spot, being that he's a preacher and all.
I still have some details to work out, but I think I can pull it all off with a little help from our friends!
Superdave
I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

beenthere

Sounds like a plan....one detail to be sure to work out, is that she will say "yes" in front of all those people and God and everthing... ;D ;D
Not a good time to hear "no".   ::) ::)

Good luck to you and your future bride.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

treecyclers

Yes, that's a consideration, but the way I see it, I am betting on her saying yes.
In the unlikely event that she does say no, the opportunities that arise from the situation greatly outweigh the risks as I see it.
I love doing things with style, and doing them hugely.
Those who take the biggest risks reap the greatest rewards, and I'll risk being made a fool of for the chance of a lifetime of happiness.
Works for me!
Superdave

thecfarm

treecycles,that sounds like quite the day to remember.Please let us all know how it works out.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Biscuits do funny things to people  :).

treecyclers

Quote from: Don K on November 16, 2007, 09:25:57 PM
Where in the world did you run up on a girl from Mobile?
I met my girl at the rodeo, gang. At the time, she was a travel nurse, temping in Phoenix.
Initially, she thought I was about the biggest dork on the face of the earth, and comments I had made to her made her want to jump across the counter and choke the stuffings out of me.
I was so totally taken by her eyes and smile, then she let fly with that syrupy souther accent, and I was dunfer.
It took us about 18 months to finally connect, and it's been heavenly ever since.
I apologize for hijacking this thread, but I suppose it ties in on the biskits theme.
Though, my girl can't make biscuits so good, she makes up for it with everything else she makes!
And I wonder why I weigh in over 250!
MMMMMMM...must be time to go get me some of them biskits & sausage gravy!
YUMMERS!
SUperdave

Thank You Sponsors!