iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Farmerdoug's squash

Started by Tom, October 23, 2007, 01:10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

I just got a box of squash from Farmerdoug.  He said that he had heard that I like them. I do.  ;D

These are really pretty.  acorn, butternut, a yellow looking acorn looking one and a longish yellow cucumber looking one.  Gael is all excited about putting them on the table for an arrangement.  It's Halloween, you know.   I figure I'll be snitching them off of the table for lunch/dinner when she isn't looking. 

Thanks Farmerdoug.  I like'm.  8)

DanG

What a nice thing for Farmerdoug to do!! 8) 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

SwampDonkey

I like buttercup squash to. I got one all carved up in the fridge and I take a few pieces and nuke them with my dinner.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Roxie

Butternut squash is my favorite!  I like it roasted with butter and garlic.   :)
Say when

flip

Spaghetti squash, with a mushroom marinara sauce musteat_1 YUM
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

isawlogs

Those spaghetti squash is good . My daughter ws the first to put that in front of me for supper one time . I wasnot to sure 'bout that , she tried to slip some toffu one time before that  :o  That sure did not make it .  :-X    :D :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

sawguy21

Quote from: Roxie on October 23, 2007, 02:58:48 PM
Butternut squash is my favorite!  I like it roasted with butter and garlic.   :)
Oh, that is good. When is dinner served ???
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

OneWithWood

Partial to acorn squash but I can't think of any squash I wouldn't eat.  digin1
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

isawlogs

About those other squash  :  Hows one go 'bout cooking them ???

I aint a big fan of vegies but need to be changing that .  :-\
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Jeff

Today for my lunch I ate half an Acorn squash. They cook pretty good in the microwave with the butter brownsugar and bacon in the hollow.  Takes about 12 minutes for a half. mmmm
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Norm

I like to bake them in the oven at around 400F. I put a dab of butter and some salt and pepper on them, cover with foil until about a half an hour before their done and then uncover.

My personal favorite squash is buttercup with acorn next.

sawguy21

Jeff, I have not tried them with bacon but the butter and brown sugar is real good.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

isawlogs

Quote from: Norm on October 24, 2007, 04:02:52 PM
I like to bake them in the oven at around 400F. I put a dab of butter and some salt and pepper on them, cover with foil until about a half an hour before their done and then uncover.

When does one know when there 'bout a half hour before there done  ???

Marcel  .. better hunter then cook .  ;)

Marcel

Norm

Depending on the size about an hour in the oven should get you to the point where you can uncover it Marcel. You can check how done it is by sticking it with a fork or knife. It's pretty much the same as you would check a baked potato.

Burlkraft

Quote from: Jeff on October 24, 2007, 01:41:25 PM
Today for my lunch I ate half an Acorn squash. They cook pretty good in the microwave with the butter brownsugar and bacon in the hollow.  Takes about 12 minutes for a half. mmmm

Now Marcel.......If yer eatin' veggies for the healthy value, then this is a real bed example of how to eat them  ;) ;) :D :D

Butter and brown sugar and bacon...some of my old favorites  ;D   ;D   ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Paschale

With spaghetti squash, you just cut it in half, boil for awhile until the center is soft enough to pull the strands away with a fork.

It's a great substitute for pasta, actually--very healthy and low carb.  I haven't made it in a few years--I think I'll be shopping for some this week!
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

farmerdoug

Tom,

Glad you liked the squash and I hope you get to eat them. ;) :D  I just found this thread.  I have been avoiding this board as I am trying to lose some weight and the food sounds to good here. ;D

I still have a bin each of Butternut and Hubbard squash left.  If you want them you have to pay the shipping this time. :D :D 

I am going to donate them to a soup kitchen this week I hope as I am now done with markets for the year.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Thank You Sponsors!