iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

woodmizer lt 30

Started by brandonward6, January 25, 2015, 10:18:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brandonward6

Would 3000 dollars be too much for a Wood Mizer Lt 30. Older machine been covered with engine cover but not ran in a few years.

drobertson

sounds like a doable price, hard to say not seeing or knowing the condition, if you are handy with maintenance stuff then it could be a good buy,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

landscraper

I asked WM for value on a older, but running and sawing LT30 manual a while back.  They said $6,000 retail for nice condition down to $4,500 on the low end or for trade in value.  This was a year or so ago. I have an LT30 I'd like to sell, my asking price is higher than what you mentioned on the one you are looking at.

If the engine will run and transmit power to the blade, if the tensioner will keep the blade tight, if the up/down forward/reverse all works, and if the frame/head all are aligned or alignable I'd say $3,000 is quite fair for a proven machine from a proven manufacturer.  Lots of "ifs".  Parts are available all day long.  The LT30 is a nice, simple machine for the part-time or just getting started sawyer.  What motor does it have?  I'd have to see it start and run as a first step before getting serious.  Check wiring for mouse nests or chewed wires too. 

A toolchest full of basic hand tools, a little common sense, and a internet connection to the Forestry Forum is all you need to maintain and run one of these machines. 
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

Andries

I bought my LT30 for double that.
Does it run?
Is it bent up or in good shape?
What year was it built?
. . . need more info Brandon.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

GAB

Could it be used as an extension bed for another mill?
Have you priced extension beds?
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Chuck White

I'd say "if it's in fair to decent shape and the engine runs, buy it"!

Just check for any bends or breaks in the frame!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, brandonward6. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dean herring

Welcome. Keep us posted on your progress.
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

brandonward6

possibly considering putting another 1200 bucks with it and just getting a new ez boardwalk jr...been doing a lot of research and this seems to be a nice mill with a little larger engine than other in its size range

brianb88

Quote from: brandonward6 on January 26, 2015, 08:22:22 AM
possibly considering putting another 1200 bucks with it and just getting a new ez boardwalk jr...been doing a lot of research and this seems to be a nice mill with a little larger engine than other in its size range

I have been lurking here for about a year and visit regularly.  I have been watching, looking, waiting and hoping that a decent used mill might come up for sale cheap somewhere near me but have yet to see any that I wanted.  So I have all but decided to go with the EZ Boardwalk jr. 

I can only be a weekend warrior so to speak (for now) because I have a fulltime job (thankfully)that I do not hate and it pays the bills.  At the moment I cannot justify spending 10K+ for the Cooks mill that I have lusted over for the last year and still afford the tractor that I want.  So, like I mentioned the EZ jr is in my very near future if the good Lord's willin' and the crik don't rise.  Hopefully I will be makin' sawdust soon. 
Measure twice, cut once

reubenT

sold mine for $3500 last spring with the auto sharpener and hand set.  I thought it was a bit low but needed the money for other business.    Bought it new in 1989.  had several thousand hours on it.   In decent condition,  not perfect.  Needed new hand winch,  and wiring behind the control box was a bit messy and modified but nothing serious.   

dgdrls

Welcome to the FF Brandonward6,

I cant really offer anything more than the others have already.

Maybe give us a little more about you and what your sawing plans are.

Best
DGDrls

hunz

Those EZ jrs are a real bang for the buck value, it was the first mill I ever had my eyes on. I'm going to take a guess and say in 3-5 years you'll justify the cooks mill into your budget, and give the wife all the reasons why you need it! I know I did a few times now. It has been 4 years since I started sawing, and I'm now on my way to upgrade to an Lt-40 super. Oh how time flies, and things change. I originally took on sawing to build a post and beam; now i do some custom lumber orders and portable milling as a part time job. Get ready to hang on for the ride!
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

Thank You Sponsors!