iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hilltop366

I was at a friends parents house that had a finished basement with a windows, a pheasant was standing in front of the window and started to tap on the glass with his beak so they figured it must see it's reflection but I said what's the first thing most people do when they look at a aquarium?

Tap on the glass.

WV Sawmiller

Hilltop,

Yeah but that is to scare the fish into moving. Do you think the pheasant was trying to scare all of you inside the building? :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Onthesauk

I bought a cheap little solar fountain for the bird bath.  I was trying out different nozzles, checking the spray, abut 8-10 inches high and a hummingbird flew in and kind of settled into the spray.  Less then 2 feet from me, kind of kept an eye on me but just taking his shower.  Spent abut 30 seconds in there and then flew off.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Hilltop366

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on August 03, 2020, 06:10:31 PM
Hilltop,

Yeah but that is to scare the fish into moving. Do you think the pheasant was trying to scare all of you inside the building? :D
We all turned to the window to look, so ya. ;D

thecfarm

I heard a whippoorwill last night!! I can not remember the last time I heard one. Was just about dark and I was coming into the house to get my head lamp.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ianab

This is a Kea, a type of parrot that lives in the Mts of the South Island. They are very inquisitive and intelligent, and will steal anything that's not bolted down. 

This guy just turned up when we stopped to check the view on the Milford Sound road. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

stavebuyer

A pair of Herron's in flight

SwampDonkey

Once in awhile I see a pair fly past the porch toward a brook. Probably some beaver ponds.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

I don't think I have ever seen 2 in flight.
About the oddest thing I ever saw was a heron taking off from a limb in a tree. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

KEC

Chimney Swifts that nest and roost in chimneys never land on the ground, on water or wires. To get tiny dead sticks to build their nest they snatch dead twigs from the tops of trees as they fly by. I've seen this just once. One of my bucket list projects that I hope to do soon is to build an artificial chimney out of wood for swifts to nest and roost in. 

SwampDonkey

Used to see them here to in old out buildings with chimneys not being used. I think if they were to come back they would be competing with starlings for chimneys. I get them every year in the chimney. I open up the door to the outside, then the stove door and they head for the sunlight. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

KEC

When I did wildlife control I dealt with a lot of starlings in chimneys. I never found their nest in a chimney; they would go down a chimney looking for a nest site and could not get out. You're right that when you give them a way out they take it. Do a You Tube search on Chinmey Swift towers, I think you'll like it.

Chuck White

I don't know if they're still there, but Chimney Swifts used to congregate in the huge chimney at the Russell Town Hall!

They would come out a little while before dusk and feed on the flying insects then return to the chimney!

Lots of residents believed them to be Bats, because they made a kind of "chirping" sound as they flew, I've told many of them that you can't hear a Bat when they're flying!

Anyways, I'll have to check it out to see if the Swifts still use the chimney!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

KEC

Hey, Chuck, Please do check it out and let us know, although they go South to South America early and may have already left. Only 1 pair will nest in a chimney at a time, but before nesting and after they're done nesting they flock together and the flocks will all go to one chimney to roost for the night. It would be great  if some of those big old chimneys could be left alone for the swifts. Check out some of the U-tube videos of swifts going into chimneys.

KEC

Had an interesting day around my yard. Was woke up at 5:00 am by a Screech-Owl behind the house. A pair of Mourning Doves still have 1 nestling in the nest (one bailed out 2 days ago). This afternoon a vocal Merlin came into the yard and an adult Mourning Dove flew towards it to distract it away from the nest. I can remember when there were virtually no Merlins in this area, they've came back strong in recent years.

Hilltop366

Some birds around the camp. A Ruffed Grouse and some Gray Jay's

Onthesauk

This morning my wife began opening the blinds and spotted a small hawk on the split rail fence behind the house, only about 12 feet away.  She called me and we watched it for about 2 minutes.  He knew we were there, didn't seem to care, hopping about 6 feet each way along the fence. 

Finally hopped down to the ground and flushed out a towhee, chased it around the brush and finally cornered it and grabbed it and flew off.  Unusual to see them that close for that long.

Guessing a sharp-shinned only because we have more here then others but could have been a cooper's, never quite sure which when I see one. 
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

thecfarm

Two bluebirds, males, have been coming to the feeder!!
Never saw them at the feeder before. I only have black oil sunflowers, nyger seeds and suet. 

Hilltop366

I took these poor pictures (it was a long ways away and moving) of what I would say is a duck last May. I have never figured out exactly what it is.

Its hard to see in these pictures but it appears to have a bit of red on its face or upper beak. 

Any ideas?

KEC

Your duck appears to be a Wood Duck male. Regarding the Gray Jays, the American Ornithologists Union who give birds their common names, years ago named them Canada Jays. Then they changed it to Gray Jay, then back to Canada Jay which is the current common name. When on a moose hunt in Newfoundland in 1990 we were quartering up 2 moose and the Canada Jays came right up by us and helped themselves to some bits of fat. No doubt they evolved to come up and steal scraps from wolf kills with the wolve right there. Many people call them camp robbers; neat birds.

Ron Scott

Yes, to the male wood duck.
~Ron

KEC

Today I went behind the house on the neighbors' property to a grove of Black Willow trees. These trees seem to have a lot of bugs/insects and often attract birds, including migrating warblers. After a streak of not seeing warblers or their being hyper-active in poor light, I managed to see some that were reasonably cooperative. Saw several Yellow-rumped Warblers and one Black-throated Blue Warbler. They are now migrating through and if one has the patience and time to look for them they are neat birds. Alot of other migrants are moving too, including shorebirds.

Ron Scott

A late night bird!

~Ron

Walnut Beast

Looks to be a Owl 🦉 

KEC

Today I went behind the house to a grove of Black Willow trees, which tend to attract a lot of bugs/insects and birds. Saw several Yellow-rumped Warblers and a Black-throated Blue Warbler. Many birds are migrating now and, although some are hard to see in the foilage and many are tough to identify they are a great pleasure to see. Around mud flats and shorelines there are many shorebirds to be seen that are headed South.

Thank You Sponsors!