iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Year of the Locust

Started by Magicman, May 05, 2015, 11:40:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Yup, Magicicada Periodical Cicadas everywhere and the noise is continuous.  The chart shows this as the emergence of our "13 Year Locust" in AR, IL, IN, KY, LA, MO, MS, and TN.   

Other states will have different Brood's hatching out.  Locust
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

MM,

I see from your chart we are due for them next year. Oh well, the 4 year old granddaughter will enjoy them. Not sure what her older sisters will think of them.

I can remember them where I grew up in N. Fla nearly scaring me to death. be down by the lake fishing with tall grass around the lake and treading lightly looking for cottonmouths and rattlesnakes and have one start buzzing and nearly scare me out of my skin. A big old bullfrog jumping about 15' and croaking at max volume has a similar effect.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Ljohnsaw

I remember them as a kid growing up in NY.  Must have been the run in 1974 when I was 14.  Great way to scare your sister!  Don't get them out here :(
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Magicman

The cicada moults soon after it emerges from the ground, leaving behind empty shells everywhere.  The driveway is littered with shells and carcasses.  The air is filled with continuous "music" and we probably will have a couple more weeks of this.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doctorb

When they hit us, the fishing changes.  Carp and catfish feed on the surface, which we don't see any other time, and you can catch a lot of largemouth and smallmouth bass by just hooking a cicada through the shell and sending it out to float and skitter across the surface.  It's the only time I use live bait for bass!  From the chart, we still have a few years to go in our 17 year cycle.

Thanks, Magic!
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Den Socling

I think they are amazing little critters.  :)

Magicman

The terrapin was having a good snack this morning.

It was filling up on dead locust.  Notice that it was holding the carcass down with the right front foot and taking bites.  Yum....yum.

Thank You Sponsors!