iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What animal's skull is this?

Started by kelLOGg, June 17, 2023, 07:02:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

I found all the parts in a few square inches in a mowed area. Thought it was a snake but the "teeth" don't look like fangs.

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Chuck White

Might need a little reassembly for anyone to recognize it!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Old Greenhorn

I am thinking it's a mammal. I'm looking at the skull cap in the last photo and I see those seams where the bones close in the brain meeting at the fontanel and they are fully closed, so it was not a baby at the time of death. I think that is only occurring in mammals? Doc might know better. Possibly a possum, ground hog, or some other furry pest?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

kelLOGg

I tried to re assemble it but I couldn't figure out where parts went. I think it was a victim of a coyote. 
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

WV Sawmiller

I could easily be wrong with the way the parts are scattered but my first guess is a possum.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

beenthere

Quote I think it was a victim of a coyote.

Why do you think a coyote? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

kelLOGg

because we see and hear them. Lost my cat to one a year ago as did my neighbor. Occasionally I seen emaciated small animal carcasses on our property. 

kelLOGg

I googled opossum teeth and it looked like what I found. So I think VW Sawmiller is right.

WV Sawmiller

Possums have homodont teeth which seems to match the pattern of the empty tooth sockets I can see. The length and width of the skull seems in line with a young possum too.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

bags

No K-9 teeth and the eyes are mounted on the side of its head--- probably a squirrel.

kelLOGg

Squirrels have beaver-like teeth for chewing. Don't think it can be a beaver squirrel.

KEC

Front incisor teeth say rodent. Likely woodchuck or young beaver. I've cleaned a lot of skulls and this is no predator/canine. Opposum have a raised ridge on the top of the skull. My 2.4 cents.

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

kelLOGg

That looks like it, too. We do have ground hogs. Don't tell, but I relocated one once. 

WV Sawmiller

Those pointed teeth in the OP make me think it was not a rodent. That's why I'm thinking a possum or could be a coon or such. The size of the skull is a good indicator but it could easily be from a juvenile animal.
Howard Green

Southside

Did it taste more like chicken or fish?  ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

kelLOGg

Actually, it was more like roadkill. 😁

KEC

Those incisor teeth makes it a rodent. Possums have long jawbone and narrow skulls. I'm having trouble doing photos, but I'll try to post one of a grinner skull I have.

WV Sawmiller

I'm thinking of incisors as sharp, flat, wide teeth and what I am seeing looks to be pointed and round. Am I not seeing something correctly? 
Howard Green

KEC

WV, In the OP photo you see a side view of the incisors, a frontal view would show that they are wide. My photos are an adult male Virginia Opposum. Note that the eye sockets are much bigger than the brain cavity ! :D

KEC

WV, I was flat proud of myself for posting photos and I expected a response from you.   :embarassed:

WV Sawmiller

You done good. Excellent detail. You might add a dollar bill or coin in the photo for scale where needed. Keep up the good work. (Now I hope that makes you happy. :D) :)

Actually, I was mostly questioning why someone would keep a possum skull around the house but to each his own. We each have our own hobbies and quirks. ;)
Howard Green

Chuck White

With those canines, it's definitely not a woodchuck, a woodchuck has 2 teeth, top and bottom in the front center.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

KEC

Stay tuned, I'll see what other skulls I have and post photos. I belong to a trapper organization and we sometime have a display at events, people like to look at the skulls. It often gets them to talk to us.

WV Sawmiller

I remember looking at a skull of an alligator snapping turtle in a Comparative Anatomy class at AU and immediately realized there were 2 big chunks of meat - 1 on each side of the brain stem - that I had been missing. On a 75 lb alligator snapper those chunks are as big as coke cans and we slice them then and flour and fry and make great little steaks out of them. You just never know where you will find useful information. ;)
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!