iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Winch cable

Started by David s Forest, January 18, 2019, 10:08:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David s Forest

Here I am waiting preparing for the big storm in the north east. Probably a good time to think about repairs too. 
The question: what's the best way to repair the loop that holds the hook at the end of my logging cable? It's gotten so frayed that the slider is binding and I'm constantly running the risk of getting puncture wounds when I pull out the cable. Can I simply put a ferrule on the end of the cable to hold the hook, or do I need to make a new loop?
'91 Woodmizer Lt 40HD G24, Ford 850 w/Norse winch, a pile of Stihls, and a '45 International TD6dozer, and a Patrick Olwell Irish flute

Ed_K

If you have a grab hook you'll need a loop. Use 3 cable ties so they don't pull up tight to the hook. If your just using sliders then a ferrule. Sliders and a ferrule are used on skidder cable if your using a 3pt winch then you need the loop set up.
Ed K

mike_belben

Tie it into an achor hitch knot and tug it tight.  Dip the end in flux, melt it in, dip it again, wrap the end in solder and hand torch melt it to keep the wire from unwinding at the tip.
Praise The Lord

David s Forest

Hey, I like that solder idea! and Ed_K you must be just up the road. I see you're in Leyden. Nice town. I do use a grab hook at the end then a few sliders with a 3pt hitch, so a loop it will be. 
'91 Woodmizer Lt 40HD G24, Ford 850 w/Norse winch, a pile of Stihls, and a '45 International TD6dozer, and a Patrick Olwell Irish flute

David s Forest

Mike, it looks to me like the eye of my grab hook might be too small for an anchor hitch. At least when I researched this hitch it calls for two turns around the "anchor"/hook. 
Since I have to trim off the end of the cable and since I don't have a cable cutter, I thought I'd bind the cable with some wire then cut it with my grinder. What do you think?

g_man

Bind with black tape works too - maybe easier. Use a cut off disc on your rt angle grinder and you'll be all set. Look up Flemish Loop  Edit: Flemish Eye not loop- makes a more non-slip connection - not necessary but better. There is a good you tube to show you how.

gg

47sawdust

If you are talking about a 3pt. hitch cable,the style of end on my Krpan is great.The cable end is fully enclosed and captured by a wedge.It has a built in slider on the end.

That cable end is available from Picken's Equipment for $48.00 plus postage to Vermont of $25.No more frayed cable ends.Tajfun also sells them,probably Hud-son as well.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Oliver05262

Flemish eye is a quick, easy way to put an end on a cable, and it works well with a new cable. I never had much luck with a used cable; the more used the worse it got. Kinda like trying to put a pithed off cat in a carrier.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

David s Forest

OK! black tape it is. I like the idea of keeping my old grab hook but that fitting on the Krpan looks pretty nice. First tomorrow I'll try the knot solution and if it's not good then maybe clamps or a new fitting. I can just see my cable trying to claw it's way out of having to make that knot.

Ed_K

The trouble with the knot idea is it points side ways all the time and weakens the cable quickly when using the hook to winch with.
Ed K

mike_belben

You can put a bowline on a bight, bowline with a tucked tail or a figure 8 hitch if the tail stickout is really a bother.  Theyre just harder to do and take more cable.  Anchor hitch is a dandy knot i just tend to use for general purpose.
Praise The Lord

wiam

Not a fan of hook on end. I just tie a knot to my end keyhole loop.

David s Forest

Having done some more online research, which can be a dangerous thing, I wonder how a sling type loop would work, that's where you separate the cable and weave a loop into the end. It looks really strong. The only problem could be how the sliders pull up to the hook on a drag. 

Ed_K

I've tried it,it works, the slides will come down the cable and the hook is the stop for the slides. The worse part is braiding the cable back together >:(. The cable fray's hurt  :(.
Ed K

thecfarm

I have a 3pt winch. Labonville has a cable for the Norse winch,with a hook on it,that was cheaper than what was on a spool. This was 5 years ago.
I had to redo the end. I just use 2 u bolts,and a half round clip,run that through the hook end.put a couple big washers before the ubolts,for the slides to run up against and that has worked for me.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

David s Forest

I've ordered some "malleable" cable clamps from Labonville just in case but I am trying the sling loop which is maybe a version of the Flemish Loop. I thought I might use the clamps to stop the sliders but it sounds like Ed_K finds that it works fine without. Pix to follow.

Plankton

For what it's worth on clamps in sugaring for holding our 9 guage mainline wire at end trees we use three clamps and alternate direction with each clamp. Seems to work on that might be a good idea if you go with the clamps.

On my skidder I just tied an over hand knot in the end tightened it with the winch and vice grips on the tail end. Cut off excess with angle grinder

Oliver05262

Yeah, Plankton, that's how I have been doing it for guys around here. The only crimped on thingys I've seen around here are the ones that will be on a new cable. I've never seen the wedge ones that can be re-used, but they sound like a good idea. Anything is better than the birdcage that is on the end after you tie a knot. You HAVE to cut the cable fairly close to the knot after it tightens up.
 And if you do this you have to tie the knot on the working end.

Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

BargeMonkey

I dont know to many fisherman towards New Bedford - Fairhaven anymore, you want to see some wicked stuff done with wire those are the people to know, older guy I worked with made it look like an art. 
The replaceable ends for the cable are the way to go, most of them are color coded for size, I'm running 3/4 swedge to 5/8 and it's a grey end, once you put one on a couple times it's not bad, a medium ball peen, decent punch, electric tape, a little bit of patience, and your better off making sure you use a fresh cut end. I've tied a knot to get out of the woods but it's honestly a hazard. 

teakwood

There is just no arguing over such a nice cable end!

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

mike_belben

Does that have little taper wedges hammered into a collet or is it weld blobs on the end of the cable keeping it too fat to pull back through?
Praise The Lord

David s Forest

So far... I really like having the grab hook on the end of the cable so I think the ferrule doesn't work. First I worked out a flemish loop with the cable braided back into the line but the sliders get stuck on the thicker part of the line. So now I've redone the loop and did as Ed_ K suggested, that is dipping in flux and wrapping with solder and heating it in. That looks good and now I'm going to clamp it so the sliders have something to snug up agains without getting stuck on the loop. I'll try to post some pix.- next post.

David s Forest

should I cut the cable off shorter? I thought I would use two clamps.  

jdatwood

jdatwood

Quote from: teakwood on January 24, 2019, 06:32:07 AM
There is just no arguing over such a nice cable end!

Best way to do it right there! Knots are a temporary fix and don't work well at all. I've reused my ferrule end for years to so it's not a one time deal. 

Thank You Sponsors!