iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Lights will be going on at the former Madison Paper Mill (Maine)

Started by peakbagger, January 12, 2022, 04:54:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peakbagger

Our View: Investment good news for Madison, and the rest of Maine - CentralMaine.com

I have been following this project and the potential products for a year so. There seems to be a market for the products but it was not competitive importing it from Europe. They bought three proven production line's so this is not the case where its never been done before, just new to this region. Of all the former mills in Maine the Madison buildings and site was left in good shape. It is in the same general area as the former Jay pulp mill and the claim is they are going to be using low grade softwood for feedstock.  

newoodguy78

Roxie

Say when

thecfarm

Jay mill is only about 15 minutes from me. So far that one is still open. Kinda wondered a while ago.  :(
Good news on the Madison one. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

nativewolf

Now that's very interesting news and potentially a fantastic product category for the USA.  Do you know if the insulation product is limited to softwood fibers?  What is the costs vs traditional fiberglass?  What about criteria such as molds and moisture?
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

Liking Walnut

nativewolf

Quote from: peakbagger on January 12, 2022, 04:54:41 PM
Our View: Investment good news for Madison, and the rest of Maine - CentralMaine.com

I have been following this project and the potential products for a year so. There seems to be a market for the products but it was not competitive importing it from Europe. They bought three proven production line's so this is not the case where its never been done before, just new to this region. Of all the former mills in Maine the Madison buildings and site was left in good shape. It is in the same general area as the former Jay pulp mill and the claim is they are going to be using low grade softwood for feedstock.  
Thanks for the rabbit hole.  Now I can see I'll be reading all up on this.  Very interesting!
https://www.greenspec.co.uk/building-design/woodfibre-manufact-process/
So they have wet and dry processes.  
The material looks fascinating.  An insulation that you cut with normal carpentry tools?  Awesome.  Would not be perfect in some situations but really neat.  Decent R values.   Acoustic is strong (great for multi-family) and that's important today.  This would be a huge leg up on actually building a green home.
Liking Walnut

snowstorm

It's good news this will finally get going. What seemed odd was the equipment came into searsport by ship last winter. It was on the news. But they were going to wait till summer to move it. No better time than on frozen ground.

Thank You Sponsors!