iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 592 xp vs Stihl 661

Started by Walnut Beast, March 19, 2022, 11:31:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walnut Beast

Deciding what one I'm going to get. From the videos I've watched the Husky smoked the 661

sawguy21

Is speed important? A properly sharpened chain makes a world of difference. Which one feels more comfortable? Is dealer support important? 
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Walnut Beast

Gary Davis

1) who has the best service 2) how much weight do you want to carry 3) how big of wood are you cutting  I went with the 500I because 1)there is only a stihl dealer near me 2) I didn't want any thing heaver then my 460 3) it has the power to run a 32in bar and cut 30 in plus logs with out bogging down
and still light enough to limb with.  what ever you get I hope it becomes your new favorite saw  

BargeMonkey

Ive got a 592 and 572 on order, kind of want to send them to Powers in Maine and get them done, I hear the 592 stock is a romping saw. 2 of my customers are Stihl dealers and even getting saws at cost I can't bring myself to do it 🤮🌈

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

rusticretreater

I guess we need to get them set up like battle bots and let them duke it out.  Sawzilla vs. SthilFellin.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

BargeMonkey

Quote from: barbender on March 19, 2022, 02:44:03 PM
Oh Barge, just stop it!😂
You wanna watch these guys running Stihl saws... 🤦‍♂️😆🌈 

barbender

air1514

I wouldnt bother with either one. Just get a 500i and you'll not regret it. Been using one for over a year to cut 4500 ft a day and love it.   I spend the rest of the day skidding and loading and hauling.  

so il logger

I had opportunity of running a 592 18 months or so back, a rep brought one out. To be fair my thoughts of the saw was probably disadvantaged because i had just sat down my ported and properly filed 395 and picked the stock 592 with a unimpressive chain on it up. 28" in hardwood i was not impressed, the power felt very similiar to stock 661 power. I got awesome stihl support here, and the husky dealers are a joke at best. So the 500i and lately a 661 in big wood gets my vote. Both ported of course, already carrying the weight so it may as well be as productive as possible

Dave Shepard

500i guys spend all their time trying to keep their air filters clean. Never have to touch the 395xp. Don't know about the 592. I'd like to try one. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

so il logger

Most would agree that an ms660 is a very tough saw. However the air filters was the worst i ever ran for packing with fines. It did not take away from the saw however. 500i air filter is better than 660, the sealing surface fits tighter and lets minimal fines past. 395 filtration is superior to any other saw i have ran for extended periods. But the 500i is not that shabby. I have tons of hours on them

Dave Shepard

For a saw that was essentially introduced over 30 years ago as the 394, it has held its own. The spring suspension and air filtration was many years ahead of the competition. As good as the 046, 066 etc. and successors were, I could never tolerate the spongy rubber mounts.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

so il logger

Nobody is arguing the longevity of a 395. A 592 is not a 395 however. And spongy and rubber mount stihls do not coincide, most guys call spring mounts spongey. I prefer springs but in a color scheme that knows how to keep bolts from falling out...  ;D

barbender

Dave Shepard

By longevity I meant that the design has endured for a long time basically unchanged. I don't have a lot of experience with any spring mounted Stihl saws, but I know that running the rubber mounted ones even briefly will kill my hands, as will my old Husky 66. My 395 has two of its four recoil housing bolts. Works just fine. :D

Plankton

Buddy of mine has a 500i almost converted me from being a husky fan lol its a ripper for the weight.

A note on husky screws they fall out all the time but I would put some screws back in your recoil cover. I've been lazy and run them like that and it ends up fatiguing the cover and snapping it eventually.

Walnut Beast

Quote from: BargeMonkey on March 19, 2022, 01:27:17 PM
Ive got a 592 and 572 on order, kind of want to send them to Powers in Maine and get them done, I hear the 592 stock is a romping saw. 2 of my customers are Stihl dealers and even getting saws at cost I can't bring myself to do it 🤮🌈
Did you get them yet! If so how do you like the 592! 

BargeMonkey

Quote from: Walnut Beast on November 23, 2022, 02:58:15 AM
Quote from: BargeMonkey on March 19, 2022, 01:27:17 PM
Did you get them yet! If so how do you like the 592!
Nope. I got impatient waiting and got 2x 372s. Asked Adam the other day and he has no 585s, 390s or 592s and the line is getting long again. I'm barely cutting enough wood now to qualify for weekend warrior status on here, live vicariously thru Ed anymore 🤦‍♂️😆 

ehp

wrong color Barge, stay with your 372's if you can find any or go to the dark side and run a 462 arctic or a 500

ehp

If your living threw me then you must be pretty dam bored , your the one with the exciting life , my life is pretty boring right now other than I'm sweating pretty good right now and I have not even went out side yet  ;D

Walnut Beast

Quote from: so il logger on March 25, 2022, 10:47:26 PM
I had opportunity of running a 592 18 months or so back, a rep brought one out. To be fair my thoughts of the saw was probably disadvantaged because i had just sat down my ported and properly filed 395 and picked the stock 592 with a unimpressive chain on it up. 28" in hardwood i was not impressed, the power felt very similiar to stock 661 power. I got awesome stihl support here, and the husky dealers are a joke at best. So the 500i and lately a 661 in big wood gets my vote. Both ported of course, already carrying the weight so it may as well be as productive as possible
For a guy wearing a Stihl hat he thinks it has more power than the 661.
https://youtu.be/N2vvoBr9ZKo

ehp

Most likely it does but can you keep it running . I bought 3 and sold all 3 without taking the last 2 even out of the box . I will stay with what I know works and runs everyday 

Thank You Sponsors!