iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

direct drive or torque drive , which one in a skidder is better

Started by ehp, September 26, 2022, 09:55:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

That is insane, 11MBF of hardwood what do those trucks gross? Gotta be 170,000#?
Too many irons in the fire

ehp

170 is quite common and in winter time its higher than that 

ehp

I cut for a guy a while ago like years ago  and he paid $50 per load, that was $50 to cut , $50 to skid and $50 to buck a load up , Sp the trucks got alot bigger but the pay rate didnot change . Then I ended working by myself so I was doing the cutting, skidding and bucking so I figured I would get $150 a load cause I was doing all 3 jobs , Well they did not see it that way and tried to pay me $50 a load , it didnot go well for them 

Firewoodjoe

Quote from: ehp on December 02, 2022, 07:32:59 PM
170 is quite common and in winter time its higher than that
Don't you guys run tridems? They can legally gross that? I've had 11k on a self loader. Weight unknown. Most good loads will never be weighed. 

ehp

Well we run lead so kind of a tandem then a trailer. Couple trucks have 2 steering axles with tri drive out back and the pup trailer can have 3 to 5 axles with most being 4 or 5 axles .  Never said they were legal loads lol.  I'm close to the mill so most times if the logs can fit they go for a ride 

ehp

what is the smallest width tire I can run on this skidder , I have not drew a single tree with it yet, I drove it in the bush and turned around cause its just way to wide to pulling timber here , I got 30.5 on it and 10 ft 6 inches wide , I planned on cutting those rims and putting 24.5 by 32 on machine but zero tires in canada in that size from Firestone but they do have enough 23.1 by 26 in 20 ply here in stock 

Firewoodjoe

There is 640s with 23.1s. Depends on your ground. But you'll be sinkin and or spinnin. in my experience those Skidders need rubber or you might as well just get a smaller machine. Even the small Skidder swill roll a 23.1 if you have a big hitch. Back tires blow twice as fast on a 360/548 with 23.1. 

ehp

I agree but the mill bought a 548 with 28l on it and its pretty much the same width as this one is , What my small weak mind thinks is this , I tried pulling 2 good size whitepine in the grapple and I did move them but as soon as I started up a easy hill my front wheels came off the ground so I released the grapple and parked it and used my little skidder to pull both trees at once to the landing . This skidder needs tire width and weight to pull anything so some how I got to figure out the narrowest way to do that , I know I can cut these rims and go in 6 inches on total width and still run chains if I need to but have to really look if I can go in any further than that , All I got to worry about is when the front axle swings up will the tire with chain on it hit the engine panels . 28l would be a touch narrower but alot of cost . I thought hard on 24.5 but zero tires in Canada so thats out . The other plan is wait till Barge buys me that new tc 602 grapple for me . The 602 is about 5000 pounds heavier than this machine and you can buy it with 23.1 by 26 on it but I'm thinking your going to be plowing steady on soft ground

Firewoodjoe

You should be able to put your grapple/arch hight so it won't pull the front tires. But I see that's a single arch also. Dual 18.4-34! 😂 narrow when you need it and wide and heavy/wide puller when you need it. 

OH logger

A TC 602 grapple is still 5000 pounds heavier than a Deere 648?!?! Wow I didn't realize that. I knew the 602 are stout compact machines but dang 
john

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

ehp

That is compare a 648 g3 single arch to the 602 dual arch and it's over 5000 pounds difference . The 602 is not a small skidder like most people think 

ehp

If guys are looking to buy skidders and other logging machines look north of the border , with our 73 cent dollar and low prices you can buy a good machine quite cheap but there is still people that are dreaming on what they think their machine is worth, There is a john deere up here that the motor is total junk in and they want more than one thats running , oil pump quit working so thats a big seize so I would never use that motor ever again  but they will learn or end up sitting with a yard fixture unless Barge comes along , Barge buys everything so their hoping

Firewoodjoe

I see a lot of cheap machines online listed. But I don't think they'll let me across the boarder lol  And I'm not asking. If I could find a trusting dealer that would handle it all it would make it much easier. Although I'm only buying parts and cutting wood right now.  Then I'll be listing my iron for sale. Sells, great, don't sell that's fine to. 

ehp

And then your going to buy all new tigercat equipment so you can just be like Barge 

BargeMonkey

I'm just a hobby logger Ed, come here to watch everyone else.

The Canada deals are decent but not great, I've been hunting for a FF member on a decent skidder and buncher, alot of the stuff is ROUGH. TN-WV-PA, further south every day I'm watching stuff come up for reasonable money. She's headed up north right now to look at a house / small farm, I'm done iron shopping for a while 😆. 

ehp

So when is the Big Day for you guys  and when is the little one or twins coming . There are good deals but you have to watch which guy you deal with , Some guys are like snakes so just have to watch 

Thank You Sponsors!