iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skidder main line

Started by bushmechanic, November 02, 2022, 08:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bushmechanic

Just wondering if anybody has used cable from a boom truck for a mainline? I had some that was taken off because of a kink and was wondering if it would work as mainline, not sure as I know boom cable is always weighted. Has anyone else tried this or is it a waste of time?  

Riwaka

Looking at the rulebook.
https://nlforestsafety.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/FSANL-OHS-Forestry-Guide-2020.pdf

Sections 2.4 and 4.6 probably cover the situation. 

In the past, all manner of cables have been used on skidders. In today's safety environment, however with the machine maintenance logbooks required and qualified people required to do critical maintenance etc. Something like replacing a skidder's main cable (in many jurisdictions) is appropriately signed off by a qualified forestry machine tech (who might supply a list of cable specs that meet the skidder manufacturer's current recommendations for a skidder operating in your conditions etc) as well as a receipt to prove the selected cable was purchased (xyz date) from a cable supplier who has been told the cables intended use is for a ABC log skidder. 

If something goes wrong there can be a trail/ records for the safety people to investigate.

AndrewM

https://www.worksafebc.com/en/resources/health-safety/books-guides/cable-yarding-systems-handbook?lang=en

Ten pages on wire rope. If you can figure out what the diameter, grade of steel you can get an approximate breaking point. Then check your skidder winch's specifications to make sure you don't exceed the line pull rating with a safety factor added in.

bushmechanic

Thanks for the great links guy's! I'm not too interested in the safety aspects as I only use it to haul my firewood. There is a different look to the windings of the cable and I'm curious as to if it will perform as needed. Riwaka, I worked in the forestry industry in Newfoundland for a lot of years and never ever saw that publication! You would think that it should have been available to all workers.  

Iwawoodwork

I have an old boom truck with the anti-rotation type cable on the winch and would not hesitate to use it on my skidder ,  the cable is very flexible.  I picked up some heavy loads with it, If it is ok for lifting it should be ok for pulling firewood.   The only drawback that I see is that I dont know if it can be spliced for an eye, probably cable clamps or a good ol knot.

62oliver

I've been using a 1/2" cable that came off a crane from where my son works. Works just fine for pulling my firewood. Has a few hairs sticking out here and there, price was right.
Husqvarna 266, Case 90xt, JD310C, TJ240E, 02 Duramax

Thank You Sponsors!