iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Has anyone converted an off-road log trailer to road worthy?

Started by jimbarry, December 16, 2022, 06:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbarry

I'm looking for a unit like this but to use to tow on public roads, at highway speed.  Such a unit goes for $30K, with a 14ft loader.  This one pictured is a local, up for sale with a 16ft loader. Wants $18K. I'm just wondering if its worthwhile converting, if its even a possibility. Thoughts?

barbender

I think a kit with 2- 7K axles complete with brakes, tires and wheels can be had for around $3000 or less. Still a good chunk of change, and then whatever you have to fab up to make it work with the frame. Could be a major investment.
Too many irons in the fire

barbender

https://thetrailerpartsoutlet.com/products/7000-lb-heavy-duty-tandem-axle-tk-trailer-kit-14k-capacity-original-series?variant=39969126154321&currency=USD&gclid=CjwKCAiAy_CcBhBeEiwAcoMRHPEnmnhouIRwaLxlnfCWw4N_BqvhEYOIlPts7e4QM9HnuXPe0CgPrxoCuJsQAvD_BwE

One thing to consider with an off road trailer like that, it is a single rail trailer and that will take considerable fabrication to put regular axles on. Highway axles are designed to mount to two frame rails, so you would basically have to build a steel box that the single frame rail could sit on, and the axles mount to. It would also have to be strong enough to completely support the weight of the load sitting on the single rail in the middle. 

With that, it might be cheaper to just swap the loader out onto a 14K highway trailer, or wait for a purpose built set up to come along😊
Too many irons in the fire

Resonator

Quote it might be cheaper to just swap the loader out onto a 14K highway trailer,
X2. Buying a highway trailer you will already have brakes, lights, highway axles and tires, and everything you will need to safely drive on the road. Let alone getting a title for a license plate if required.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Southside

Not sure how well road axles are going to hold up working in the woods.  Stumps, uneven ground, etc are why bogies are used in those applications.  I could see a nice 7K pair of Dexters getting trashed pretty quickly.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

thecfarm

Just asking.
What about insurance? 
Meaning if something happened, accident, Would insurance cover?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jimbarry

All good pints brought up. Thanks. As for insurance, the truck has farm plates and is already covered for hauling wood.

charles mann

Barbender brought up a good point to fitting the loader to a hi-way built trailer. He also brought a single rail trailer and fabricating something to attach a set of axles to it. Take a look at the logging pole trailers that when not hauling logs, it is winched up on the back of the tractor. It hinges at the fifth wheel and in the middle and the single pole folds in half, resting on the headache rack and the tandems riding at the back end of the truck frame. The trailer axles with the rear log bolsters also slide to allow for shorter logs. The axles ar mounted to a sub frame with a pipe that slides over the trailer pipe "frame" to allow the movement of the bolsters for short logs or to shorten the trailer tracking/turning radius.

Edit: here is a link for the style of trailer i mentioned above. Im sure there are other manufacturers, but this was the first link i clicked on in a google search. 

Pole Log Trailers | Fryfogle Manufacturing, INC.
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Hilltop366

What would happen if you switched out the low speed axel stubs for high speed ones and hwy tires then add some fenders?

I have seen a home made car trailer with a pivoting axel set up like this log trailer years ago but have no idea how it worked out.

Would it be tippy being that high, perhaps it would need to be lowered as well?

Riwaka

How long have trailers similar to the Camex been around? Road and off road forestry spec.

Road and Forestry | CAMEX

jimbarry

The idea of converting a trailer like what i pictured is shelved. While they have the weight capacity, they don't have the volume to carry two cords. Well they do but it would be tippy. So I'm going a different route. As for Camex, well, let's say that their local representation is asleep at the wheel.

I am now thinking about doing this sort of thing with some changes, like put the loader at the rear. I have the hooklift truck. So its just to decide on a loader and build a 12ft deck for it. 

Thank You Sponsors!