iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Prices?

Started by jerryatric, May 01, 2011, 12:10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ehp

I'm pretty sure the guy you were talking to is French and we have pretty much zero ash left here that is good .  Sure you find the odd group of ash the bore has not killed but most is dead now

stavebuyer

There are Chinese operating out of Canada buying Ash and Hickory in KY. 

Andries

So a neighbour and a buddy have 150 acres between them. Neighbour guy has a JD skidder, buddy has a bunch of skidder trails on his land already and I've got the LT40. The idea; harvest ash trees, mill out cants and stuff them into sea containers that the contact guy will arrange for. The full container would be fumigated before export. Things fell apart when we got to the details on filling and hauling away six containers, then getting paid (their position) or freight on board and eTransfer before the load leaves the yard (our position) The deal didn't get past that point, let alone $ per cubic meter. 
The Chinese are operating out of and in Canada too.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

ehp

the chinese own more mills than lots of people would think and veneer mills as well , they sure have bought up a pile of land around here 

stavebuyer

I know one domestic slicing company they bought and let go back to the seller. (3 slicing mills) Seems that the face veneer game is not quite as easy as it seems lol.

Woodfarmer

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on November 21, 2022, 09:36:18 PM
Well this is a tiny thing, but it kind of fits in this thread. I got an unusual call today from a guy in Ontario looking for Ash logs. Now I don't sell logs and rarely buy them and at that, just a few here and there, never a load.
But this guy called and left a message, so I returned his call after checking with my friend Bill who does sell logs on occasion.
The fella had an odd accent that was hard to pick up over a bad cell connection. It did not sound French or Canadian, but I could be wrong. Frankly I thought it was Asian. We chatted briefly. He would buy anything over 10" diameter and said they would send a truck or container. My spidey sense went up on full. His only criteria was 2 clear faces and that the trees could not be EAB killed. I told him he was 15 years too late. :D But he could try cutters over in Delaware or perhaps Schoharie counties where they still had a few trees that were clean and green. What I should have done was asked him the price he was offering. Dumb move on my part. Bill is ticked at me for that. ;D
I thought it was weird that a guy from that far north was making cold calls for logs down this way. I am pretty certain it was for export (send a container?), and as I have read here several times, the Chinese buyers are pretty notorious, and getting paid is not always a sure thing. The whole thing just struck me as weird and smelled a little funny.

I've also talked to guys like that. They want them peeled and packed In a container. Now how am I going to do that?
I was selling to a legit log buyer that was shipping them to China for a few years but that market has dried up and the logs are no longer viable .

stavebuyer

United Furniture Industries layed-off all 2700 employees last week. A lumber broker in the loop told me between the company plants and contractors they used 500,000 feet of mostly mixed hardwoods per day. A major market just evaporated. The Mississippi river drought and now this has to be lean times for the likes of Anderson-Tully who dominates the mixed hardwood market with its river bottom holdings. 

Pallet market was getting tight before this. Going to be a world of cheap lumber dumped shortly.

barbender

I read about that massive layoff. Any idea what led to it? Not good, whatever the case.
Too many irons in the fire

Southside

Ummm, $5+ fuel, run away inflation, shrinking power of the dollar come to mind. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

nativewolf

Fired the entire senior management team back in June.  Something was up then and I expect the lawsuits to figure that out, they didn't give required notice so the lawsuits are flying, fired everyone day before Thanksgiving.  They will go into bankruptcy.  
Liking Walnut

BargeMonkey

I know alot of shopping is done online anymore, but it was quiet when I went out black Friday. Couple firewood guys are talking about how quiet it is, fuel prices have taken the extra money people had. We are seeing half the ship traffic we did from July till now. 

ehp

Here its fuel and food that is taking everyone spare coin , It's still hard to get lots of things that before covid was just go to the store and pick it up . Hard maple is not doing great here , we will see how I do on red oak this week as I'm cutting fairly big stuff and big white oak and white pine 

stavebuyer

Quote from: nativewolf on November 28, 2022, 08:13:13 PM
Fired the entire senior management team back in June.  Something was up then and I expect the lawsuits to figure that out, they didn't give required notice so the lawsuits are flying, fired everyone day before Thanksgiving.  They will go into bankruptcy.  
Bankruptcies on this scale will take many small suppliers down with them; guys that have been strung out for 60-90 days waiting on payments for lumber that they already delivered and have been operating on borrowed funds. Tragic.

nativewolf

Quote from: stavebuyer on November 29, 2022, 06:32:19 AM
Fired the entire senior management team back in June.  Something was up then and I expect the lawsuits to figure that out, they didn't give required notice so the lawsuits are flying, fired everyone day before Thanksgiving.  They will go into bankruptcy.  
Bankruptcies on this scale will take many small suppliers down with them; guys that have been strung out for 60-90 days waiting on payments for lumber that they already delivered and have been operating on borrowed funds. Tragic.
Yes it is.  They were giving people promotions the week before.  This is pure cold blooded private equity evil.  Feel sorry for the guys owed money, they'll never see a dime I guess.
For people that don't know this was the old and famous Lane furniture brand from Virginia plus many others.  
Liking Walnut

bigblockyeti

I worked for a plastics recycling company that had already reorganized twice previously so when things started getting weird, I knew the seed money was running low.  I was banking 4 weeks of vacation I was worried might evaporate so I moved some assets of interest into storage where few people had access as quasi colateral.  I was at a wedding several states away when I got the call the doors were chained shut and everyone was SOL.  Being in maintenance I, along with several other maintenance personnel, could run the entire plant on a skeleton crew at reduced capacity.  We were asked to do just that to finish inventory and a couple dog and pony shows for potential investors.  Over that 4 weeks, most of the stuff in the maintenance department disappeared, including some pretty big stuff like a Bridgeport among other things.  No one said a word.

beenthere

QuoteOver that 4 weeks, most of the stuff in the maintenance department disappeared, including some pretty big stuff like a Bridgeport among other things.

Meaning stolen? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bradm

So did he take the Bridgeport out in the same manner Johnny Cash got his Cadillac or did he just strap it to his back and walk out with it? 

Woodfarmer

Re-homed.

I was offered 380/1000 on my Ash, I'll firewood it before I'll give it away!

bigblockyeti

Quote from: Bradm on November 29, 2022, 01:44:30 PM

So did he take the Bridgeport out in the same manner Johnny Cash got his Cadillac or did he just strap it to his back and walk out with it?
That one I have no idea about and I wasn't about to ask.  I think I might have seen the plasma table in another guy's truck but I specifically avoided looking to maintain plausible deniability.

mudfarmer

Quote from: Woodfarmer on November 29, 2022, 01:45:18 PM
Re-homed.

I was offered 380/1000 on my Ash, I'll firewood it before I'll give it away!
Just curious, any details you care to provide? CAD or USD? Standing timber or logs, Delivered or on landing, Bug killed or live, Woods run or a pile of logs all one grade?
Being nosy, have some more live ash to cut :) 
That is #3 or even lower grade pricing from two buyers on your side of the border

Woodfarmer

Cdn, logs at the landing. Hasn't been an Ash tree around here in 5 years that wasn't killed by the borer.
All graded as saw logs.

nativewolf

Quote from: Woodfarmer on November 29, 2022, 07:04:09 PM
Cdn, logs at the landing. Hasn't been an Ash tree around here in 5 years that wasn't killed by the borer.
All graded as saw logs.
Dead ash is hard to give away.  
Liking Walnut

ehp

find a different mill , ash is worth alot more than around here , bigger stuff is double that price

ehp

black and red oak that made timbers paid $200/1000 more than grade logs so this stuff will be cut into as many timber logs as I can get , white oak grade pays more than white oak timber logs , No much in here that will make slicer veneer as stuff is beat up abit more than I would like to see 

Hogdaddy

I heard last week that there was a slight increase in red oak lumber, not from a very reliable source though. Anyone else hear anything?
If you gonna be a bear, be a Grizzly!

Thank You Sponsors!