iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Aforestation of the stickery kind

Started by mesquite buckeye, April 15, 2013, 11:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

azmtnman

Thanks for doing that. I've wondered about him several times over the past couple years. 
I went to visit him and his saguaro farm several years ago but I don't get down that way very often.
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

catalina

Azmtnman, no thanks necessary, dont know why the mood struck me but it did, lol. Gene

SwampDonkey

Sometimes when you reach out to someone after a long spell it means a lot to them. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mesquite buckeye

Hey guys. Still kicking. Very behind but moving forward. 2 seasons back we started planting in a bottomland field up in Redfield Canyon against my better judgement. On ordinary freeze nights we got around 90-95% kill in that new planting which started a more or less panic for warmer locations. We were able to find some ancient bottomland that is about 150 feet above the canyon bottom and considerably warmer. We started planting that area fall of last year with very good results. This year has been one of land clearing and prep and we now have about 5 acres planted up there. We have also changed to wider planting and no irrigation as we were having uneconomic problems with animal damage on the saguaro hill. So the new area is probably around 10000 plants in the ground. We have over 40 acres of additional suitable land for more fields. The cold bottom will be planted to barrel cactus which are much more cold hardy.

We also got 15 inches of monsoon rains this summer which is nearly double our whole year average. Included in that were two 3" cloudbursts which damaged or destroyed over half of our water control structures. Also came with high wind which destroyed  3 1/2 of our greenhouses. We had lost 2 other ones years earlier to a small tornado. We are moving forward in spite of the ongoing disasters. The field grown saguaros and barrels are now starting to sell and we could possibly actually become profitable by the end of next year.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

SwampDonkey

Glad you checked in for an update. :) Sorry for all the hardships. Sounds just like farming though on that front.  :-X
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

azmtnman

Good to hear from you, Mesquite Buckeye! Arizona weather has been unusual the last couple years to say the least.
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

Thank You Sponsors!