iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

664 Clark skidder preload final drive rolling torque

Started by stobbe, December 18, 2014, 10:08:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stobbe

Hi, i am putting new axle seals on the rear end of a 664 Clark skidder. Machine serial # c-9044-838. I am putting the hubs back on and was wondering what the preload final drive rolling torque is for the big nut on there?

treeslayer2003

this is what i do......hand pack it with grease and tighten it up pretty tight. don't be afraid that you have it to tight, you don't. remember, you want the bearing to take all the weight, not the planetary.

loggah

Tighten it up as much as you can. If the bearing is the least bit loose you will be replacing planetarys. Years ago my father bought a brand new 208 timberjack skidder!!! 5 planetarys later on the same side of the rear axle the reason for failing bearings not tight enough !!!! He was ready to burn that thing,before it got figured out.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

stobbe

treeslayer2003

Quote from: loggah on December 19, 2014, 05:24:57 PM
Tighten it up as much as you can. If the bearing is the least bit loose you will be replacing planetarys. Years ago my father bought a brand new 208 timberjack skidder!!! 5 planetarys later on the same side of the rear axle the reason for failing bearings not tight enough !!!! He was ready to burn that thing,before it got figured out.
i did sumthin like that once........turns out, some one put the wrong seal in the hub. i thought it was tight but really it was just that seal.......ruined two sets of planetarys.

oldseabee

After you get it as tight as you can, get a short length of 2/4 and a hand sledge and give the housing a good whack in 3 or 4 places aroung the bearing and roll the hub a couple of times, retighten the bearing and keep doing untill you don't get any more tightening on the bearing then try to spin the hub it should stop itself at about 50% of a revolution, this is with new bearings.

coxy

Quote from: oldseabee on February 10, 2015, 04:52:04 PM
After you get it as tight as you can, get a short length of 2/4 and a hand sledge and give the housing a good whack in 3 or 4 places aroung the bearing and roll the hub a couple of times, retighten the bearing and keep doing untill you don't get any more tightening on the bearing then try to spin the hub it should stop itself at about 50% of a revolution, this is with new bearings.
thats funny the junk pettibone we had my dad took a 15lb sledge and a 3x6 piece of oak to seat the bearing after 8-10 hits you could  at least put 3more turns on that nut things that one learns over the years  ;D

oldseabee

That's just one of the things you pick up from the old timers over the years, now at 76 I'm on the verge of becoming one of the Old Timers. That's why I go on these forums. A lot of the folks on here are just getting started and using some of the old machines and there is very little written info out there so it falls on some of us that have been there to share, one of the great sins in the equipment business is hoarding information because it gives you a little bit of power.

ClarkF66

We appreciate your posts alot, Oldseabee. They have helped me out with my Clark skidders on several occations. I bought my first Clark 664 in 1986 at the age of 15 and I still have an F66, but I don't have a fraction of your knowledge about them.

rockwall

Yes, thank you oldseabee your posts have helped me out tremendously. The sharing of your knowledge is very much appreciated.

treeslayer2003

seabee you just ain't here enough lol. i see you are down south, i really miss Whaley's in SC........those guys were super good.

oldseabee

Sorry about that Tree Slayer, I'm in the process of moving and my computer has been in storage for about 6 weeks, just getting back on line with a new cable company, just haven't got it all figured out yet. Still working on getting moved, PIA.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: oldseabee on February 13, 2015, 10:47:38 AM
Sorry about that Tree Slayer, I'm in the process of moving and my computer has been in storage for about 6 weeks, just getting back on line with a new cable company, just haven't got it all figured out yet. Still working on getting moved, PIA.
it is a pia. god speed to you sir, and keep in touch.

Thank You Sponsors!