iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

franklin brakes

Started by diesel23ca, June 02, 2016, 10:23:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diesel23ca

has anyone messed around with franklin brakes..they are in the transfer case..they use three ball bearings on each side..the balls fit into cam like grooves in the pressure plate ..the guy who owned it b4 me had trouble with the brakes locking on so he just disconnected them..starting a new job and need some brakes ..just wondering if it would be  easier to put a rotor on the end of the axle housing  
thats the yoke that fits in the transfer case ..the brake discs have splines on them so it can slide back and forth on the yoke .the yoke is broke in the pic but i welded that last year
it is what it is

lewis

I have never worked on a franklin but have worked on case 450 crawler and 580-c with ramp and ball brakes the biggest problem with them is 1 rusty,2 oil from trans leaking into them, or the band needs relining, if they tighten the band to tight it would make them lock up also if the balls are out of round it could lockup,there not too hard to work on and I got parts at broken tractor at low cost but I dont know if they would have parts for a franklin

RHP Logging

I've got a 1990 132xl that I've done the brakes on twice and the parking brake once. I cut a lot of hills.  You can get away with no brakes for a while but it will bite you eventually. 
Buckin in the woods

diesel23ca

Quote from: RHP Logging on June 03, 2016, 11:09:56 PM
I've got a 1990 132xl that I've done the brakes on twice and the parking brake once. I cut a lot of hills.  You can get away with no brakes for a while but it will bite you eventually.

i'm trying to get em on before it does bite me haha..the land i'm going to is flat ..the place i usually cut is too steep for a log truck on a dry day ..i don't go down those types of hills without lots of slack in the mainline and my blade almost touching ..i've gone down places that were too steep to stand on too..what is moving must stop eventually ..where do you get parts for your franklin? i think my transfer case is a t88 i'm not sure ..
it is what it is

kiko

A Franklin?  With brakes?  Are you sure?   

diesel23ca

Quote from: kiko on June 04, 2016, 12:06:21 AM
A Franklin?  With brakes?  Are you sure?   
haha well theres a pedal there to the right of the clutch and to the left of the fuel ..i think its for brakes..i think the problem is they are sort of camming over due to thin clutches or brake liners ..i don't know what they are called
it is what it is

kiko

It has been a long time.   We never could get that brake system to work for very long for the reasons mentioned in a previous post.   IMO you would be wasting time and money to fix it back like they came.  I think a disc and caliper set would be the way to go, maybe with a MICO lock valve plumbed in.

diesel23ca

Quote from: kiko on June 04, 2016, 12:18:30 AM
It has been a long time.   We never could get that brake system to work for very long for the reasons mentioned in a previous post.   IMO you would be wasting time and money to fix it back like they came.  I think a disc and caliper set would be the way to go, maybe with a MICO lock valve plumbed in.
yeah i see a few around here and a buddy of mine on the net has a skidder like mine with a honda civic rotor on it ..if you use volkswagon or vovlo type calipers they can even have a hand brake  cable ...and a line lock as you say would be perfect ..i got spare yokes for the housing (none for the tcase)..i'll get something machined or welded to the yoke to accept the rotor ..its got to be on the back ..the one up front under the motor would be a blaze fairly quick
it is what it is

RHP Logging

Quote from: diesel23ca on June 03, 2016, 11:57:43 PM

i'm trying to get em on before it does bite me haha..the land i'm going to is flat ..the place i usually cut is too steep for a log truck on a dry day ..i don't go down those types of hills without lots of slack in the mainline and my blade almost touching ..i've gone down places that were too steep to stand on too..what is moving must stop eventually ..where do you get parts for your franklin? i think my transfer case is a t88 i'm not sure ..

Mine is a t88 I believe.  My brakes are on the back of the transfer case. Some models had them on the front.  They are pretty easy to do once you've done them.  Your brakes discs are probably worn to the point t the piston can't reach anymore.  Change out all five copper discs and make sure your  8 springs are good.  If your press plates are worn to the point of catching your nail change the bad ones too.  Also replace the quad rings on your piston and housing.  Getting all the plates lined up is probably the worst part at reassembly.  I get parts from my Franklin dealer.  They get them from Rightparts.com or have good used parts.  the dealer gives me all kinds of advice so even though it's costs me a little extra I will buy from him.  I wouldn't be running without him.
Buckin in the woods

diesel23ca

Quote from: RHP Logging on June 04, 2016, 09:26:43 AM
Quote from: diesel23ca on June 03, 2016, 11:57:43 PM

Mine is a t88 I believe.  My brakes are on the back of the transfer case. Some models had them on the front.  They are pretty easy to do once you've done them.  Your brakes discs are probably worn to the point t the piston can't reach anymore.  Change out all five copper discs and make sure your  8 springs are good.  If your press plates are worn to the point of catching your nail change the bad ones too.  Also replace the quad rings on your piston and housing.  Getting all the plates lined up is probably the worst part at reassembly.  I get parts from my Franklin dealer.  They get them from Rightparts.com or have good used parts.  the dealer gives me all kinds of advice so even though it's costs me a little extra I will buy from him.  I wouldn't be running without him.

yip i've run accross a few people like that ..its easier to pay someone more that won't sell you stuff you don't need or won't work..i've had the yoke out and got it back in just cause i had to weld it ..its not oily in there its dry and smells like a burnt out chimney haha..i've got spare parts that aren't any good and i got parts in the skidder that aren't any good ..i've never had it apart and i know that its likely not put together right ..mines on the front of the t case not the back..i've gotten soft with the internet i don't take much apart without a diagram ..wonder where i could find one of them ..i think if you had brakes like that together right with good parts they would be the safest bet ...doesn't look like it would catch fire like a disk one would ..i got oil leaking everywhere
it is what it is

RHP Logging

What year is yours?  I've got a parts book for most of my machine.
Buckin in the woods

Corley5

My 132 Forwarder doesn't have brakes.  I got parts brand new in boxes but I'm not sure what I've got other than discs.  Mine has a T88 transfer case.  I haven't looked to see where the brakes are.  I'll get to it some day until then the big brake mounted on the front works  ;) ;D

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

RHP Logging

I ran mine with no brakes for almost two years.  I was always worried when running uphill fully loaded. What if the machine died? I got really good at working the clutch in situations.  Eventually I got into some hills that would have been plain stupid to run without brakes. I will see if I can get a picture up of my diagram.
Buckin in the woods

diesel23ca

Quote from: RHP Logging on June 05, 2016, 10:09:21 AM
I ran mine with no brakes for almost two years.  I was always worried when running uphill fully loaded. What if the machine died? I got really good at working the clutch in situations.  Eventually I got into some hills that would have been plain stupid to run without brakes. I will see if I can get a picture up of my diagram.
that would be awesome if you had a diagram ...the only trouble is i really really don't know what year it is ..if i had to guess its a 69 to 75 ..it does have a t88 tcase and the brakes are on the front ..its got a 353 in it and a 30 swede/franklin winch .. here is a vid of it running if you think you can figure it out ..this is my first franklin so i'm not very sure about what other ones are like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUfFSUSxEWY
it is what it is

RHP Logging

I will see what I can do.  If you want I can give you the number for my dealer as well.  Its in prentice, wi.
Buckin in the woods

diesel23ca

yeah sure ..i think there are some in maine but if you got a guy who you know knows his stuff thats great ..either way i'm going to have to get the parts shipped as there is nothing here...everyone says "franklin ain't that a wood stove''
it is what it is

diesel23ca

Quote from: RHP Logging on June 07, 2016, 06:09:27 PM
I will see what I can do.  If you want I can give you the number for my dealer as well.  Its in prentice, wi.
this is a link if i'm allowed or not i don't know ..this is the exact same thing as mine ..i can't believie it but it says 1980 132axl ..its got the smaller i think differentials on it ..my uncle put 230 timberjack rockwells on it .so this one has bigger tires and small differentials , then mine ..nicer paint too haha     ..i bought the skdder from my late uncles wife and i don't have much info other then   that on it ..             http://www.marketbook.ca/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=10182131&LP=MAT
it is what it is

Thank You Sponsors!