iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

To sign or not to sign?

Started by TexasTimbers, April 04, 2006, 06:33:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

Yesterday I cut up some ERC 2 X 10s and 2 X 6s for my volunteer fireman buddy a couple of communities over. He called me up Sunday and said "We're havin another auction (they have them every 2 -3 months)  and I bought this metal picnic table kit and I want some of that purdy red cedar you make!" I says well God makes it but I can slice it into usable slabs.  ;D
Anyways I delivered it yesterday. I book-matched the 2X6 seat boards and even the 2X10 table top boards and ran them through my planer. Those firemen went nuts over it and want one for them too. It's not even the really nice stuff either; it's the yellowish sulphur sap with the more moderate heart but its the only cedar I have that is dry through and through (was felled 3ish years ago in the Gilmer area). He had told me he wants to spray it today so I couldn't cut up the white-white sap/ purple/pink/red heart cedar I have as it's wet inside. They would really have gone bonkers over that stuff.
Turns out they themselves made a picnic table a couple of months ago out of store bought pine and it fetched $125! I told my buddy if he wwil give me notice next time I would make one that will knock their eyes out and fetch more than that. I don't really like the idea of marrying that pretty wood to a cheapo $30 metal kit frame but alas it's out of my hands.
He says to make up a sign that gives my info so people can order stuff from me.

My question is does this cheapen my donation? I don't have a propblem getting credit but I'm not doing it to get business. These guys are tireless in their efforts to improve their all-volunteer fire department and I like helping out. I've given cash donations before, but this is different. So what do you think to sign or not to sign? That is the question.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

JimBuis

I wouldn't make a huge gawdy sign, but if you can use the business I would not be shy about putting up a small informational sign.  Some people who are interested in your work and products would appreciate knowing the information.

IMHO,
Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

sawguy21

A note or inscription on the table saying it was donated would be entirely in order. Like you, I would not be comfortable using it to solicit business but on the other hand, if somebody approaches about buying, no problem so long as they don't expect everything for free.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

TexasTimbers

Yes I was thinking that if at all, an 4 X 5 (inch not feet  ;D) off the printer with my company name something like.

Lumber donated by Powder Creek Sawmill
                        Kevin and Terry Jaynes Proprietors

No contact info is what I'm thinking. If someone wants to get me they can find out eh? Or nay?

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

CHARLIE

That sure sounds right and fair to me.  I usually like to know who donated something I buy at a benefit auction.....especially if it's handmade.   
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

wiam

Kecjay I am on a volunteer fire dept. that has auctions.  We generally expect businesses that donate items are using this as advertisement.  The way you feel about this, if someone comes to you after looking for whatever, if they say they heard at the auction,  you could make a donation. ???  Just a thought?

Will

Ianab

It's kinda an expected thing with donations like that.
Sure you would donate to the good cause anyway, but getting a bit of 'free' positive advertising is one of the perks of the deal  ;)

I'd do a little card like you are thinking, and put your contact info down the bottom. If you get some positive enquiries then you will be even keener to donate to the next auction. The fire dept guys know this and would rather that some of your advertising budget went thru them. :)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Don_Papenburg

You could inform the potential customers that if they mention the VFD auction that you will donate a % of their purchase to the VFD
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Faron

Seems to me, a former volunteer fireman, that everybody wins if you put up a sign.  The fire department gets the lumber it needs.  Potential customers see something they like and where to find it.  You get new customers, hence more cash, hence more wherewithal to make another donation 8)
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

scsmith42

I concur with Faron, Wiam and others - it's definitely ok to advertise.  I also concur with your thoughts about not going overboard, but I would include your contact information (or some business cards that could be set out on the table).

My wife is a veterinarian and she runs a non-profit Spay Neuter Assistance program that provides low cost spays and neuters to small animals.  It is totally within expectations for people that make donations to her organization to receive public recognition for their generosity and products.

When someone helps my wife's business, they feel good.  When my wife and her employees are able to reciprocate and help the contributor, then her team feels good as well and also feels that they were able to help return the favor.

If you're still uneasy, then make a card that says something to the effect "Gratefully contributed to the XXX VFD by Kevjay's Sawmill.  "Thanks guys for all you do to protect our community!!!"  Signed, Kevjay.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!