iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cabin from square logs

Started by Den-Den, December 07, 2023, 05:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Den-Den

I am building a cabin with material that I milled on my home-made sawmill.  The location is about 80 miles away from home, I have been going there one day a week to work on the cabin (this will take quite a while).  I will post some progress pictures as progress occurs.  The walls are 8" square pine "logs" with half dovetail corner joints.  I am aiming for a 1" average gap between the logs (some have shrunk / warped).  The cabin is 16 ft by 24 ft and will have a 8 ft by 24 ft covered porch.
The foundation is not traditional, it consists of 2-7/8" OD oilfield tubing set about 3 feet in the ground (concrete around the pipe and inside the pipe).  Those pipes were cut off to the same height and a 6" square plate welded on top of each.  Lag bolts go up through the plate into the bottom log.
Foundation

Current status

You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

Magicman

Wow Sir, this will be a wonderful build. 

I always wanted to build a log something but time and birthdays have eliminated that notion. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

firefighter ontheside

Looking good.  Can't wait to see more.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Den-Den

Picture from a couple days ago, this is 10 logs high, my target is 13.  It is pretty rustic with some warped logs and warts in the workmanship.  I am keeping the structure sound but not too concerned with perfect appearance.  Soon we will be adding a beam (8" x 14") to support a loft on the right end.  Once we get to 13 logs high, will add short posts to support a ridge beam, then the roof will be stick framed.  Planning to cover the gable ends with board and batten siding.

Don P

I do believe those are the stoutest wall brackets I've ever seen  :)

firefighter ontheside

Rustic is what will make it all the more fun.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Stephen1

Looks great, I love log buildings and watching people build.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Den-Den

A little more progress, this picture is from the Southwest.  Eventually there will be a covered porch on the South

side with the door and windows.

Den-Den

Update: 2/20/2024
Walls stacked and ridge beam installed.  A temporary staging is located just above wall height, it was helpful while setting the ridge beam and will be helpful while installing rafters.  There is a 5/8" diameter vertical steel rod near each corner ran through holes drilled as the logs were stacked.  The rods are threaded on the bottom end and nuts are snugged up.  I expect to tighten them more as the logs shrink / settle.  There is no floor installed yet, that will be done after the roof is finished.
2-20-2024.jpg

Magicman

It's good to see your progress.  :thumbsup:   ffcool
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Andries

That's a good looking cabin.
What kind of chinking material are you going to use?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Den-Den

I plan to use mortar reinforced with metal lath for chinking.  I will probably get the roof on before summer and let it dry / shrink under the roof for the summer before chinking.

Den-Den

Update 3/14/2024
Rafters installed, pine decking done on North side
3-13-2024.jpg

PineHill4488

Fall 2013 purchased Stihl MS 660 and an Alaskan 36" mill, am happy with the setup, hobbyist not a volume producer, have milled oak, hickory, yellow pine, and power poles.

Thank You Sponsors!