iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

So many mills, so little time. Trouble pulling the trigger.

Started by Daburner87, April 29, 2021, 08:13:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daburner87

I've been lurking around here for some time, and wanted to get a mill last year, but now I think I'm finally ready to buy.  The LT15Wide and HM130Max are my top two choices, and the EZ Boardwalk 40 looks good too.

Three things I love about the LT15Wide is that for starters I can get financing which makes a lot less of an impact on my bank account initially. Then you have the wider cutting capacity over Woodland Mills, and the Woodmizer name which is very reputable if I ever decided to sell.  It however costs more and the trailer is an extra $3000 bringing the total to $13000 before tax and shipping.

The Woodland Mills HM130Max Woodlander is significantly cheaper, and it comes with the trailer at $6600 for the 16' model which is very hard to beat.

The Boardwalk EZ40 has very impressive width of cut specs.  I don't think I would ever need to upgrade in the future, but there media department leaves my head scratching.  Why don't they have a more detailed video of their product?  I've read of poor welds, and other issues with them as well, but I've seen a lot of positive.  With the trailer it's priced at $9350 with financing available and that's pretty tempting.

I am simply a hobbyist however.  I have a full time job, this is just something I want to do on the side.  I love wood working, I love heavy timbers, and have been reading up quite a bit on timber framing and things of that nature.  I feel the Woodmizer would have the best resell value followed by the Woodland Mills, and last the EZ40 just because people don't know enough about it.  Any advice appreciated.
HM130Max Woodlander XL

Southside

Welcome to the Forum.  Depending on when you plan to start sawing you may need to consider when you could receive each of the mills you are interested in, as right now nothing is normal in commerce and all the manufactures are doing what they can.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

jpassardi

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three. The pricing is probably in line with each regarding overall product - all things considered.
Don't disregard HP especially if you will do mostly wider logs. As mentioned, lead times are extended so might weigh in also.
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

VB-Milling

This has been very helpful for me in getting a handle on all the different mills available.

Sawmill Comparison - Summary Version (2).xlsx - Google Drive

Not my spreadsheet.  It was published in the comments of a video on YouTube comparing sawmills.  Sawing with Sandy in Canada.  Fun channel to watch.  He has an older model Woodland Mills HM130 if memory serves.
HM126

Daburner87

Woodmizer could get me the saw by October.
Woodland Mills by August.
EZ Boardwalk backed up until July 2022.
Timberking is backed up until 2022.

I guess Woodland Mills gets my money...
HM130Max Woodlander XL

VB-Milling

I'm also seriously considering, if not totally decided on Woodland Mills.  Not because of their delivery times, but because it seems to fit my expectations as well as budget.  Keep us posted on the order as well as delivery and first sawing.
HM126

alan gage

Quote from: Daburner87 on April 29, 2021, 09:31:41 AM
Woodmizer could get me the saw by October.
Woodland Mills by August.
EZ Boardwalk backed up until July 2022.
Timberking is backed up until 2022.

I guess Woodland Mills gets my money...
See, choosing a mill isn't as hard as you thought it was. :)
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Jdock

I went through a similar search last year and wound up with a Frontier, which is essentially a chinese Norwood and is marketed as a direct competitor to Woodland Mills. Price, specs, and features are all comparable, the deciding factor was the Frontier was several months less lead time. Overall I'm extremely pleased with it, my only real recommendation is whatever you buy get the most hp you can. It's definitely worth it.

TroyC

Daburner87, I bought the EZ40 last summer. My first mill, shot in the dark, hobby sawyer. I was not impressed with their website. The website really does not do justice to the features of the machine. After using the machine I could not be more impressed. It is built like a tank, solid, thick steel. It is simple. Comes with a removable bunk for cutting short logs and cookies. It is ready to saw when you get it. The welds on my machine are top notch. I have no criticisms. It is a manual mill so you are going to realize it is a lot of work! Fortunately I have a tractor loader with a grapple. So far it has 45 hours and all it has required other than blades is an oil change and daily greasing.

I'd suggest the trailer package as it comes with a log turner that doubles as a tool to remove the axle if you want. I have never removed my axles. I put 6 retractable jacks under it and use it with the wheels on. Saves a lot of leaning over. It goes back in the shop after use. Takes 10-15 minutes to pull it out and set it up or put it away.

Any of your choices will serve you to mill logs. If there are any members close to you maybe you could view their mills and see what you fancy.

Welcome to the forum! It's been a lifesaver for me!

Oddman

I have an EZ-40 as well and can say i have found it to be very ruggedly built and well designed. I have yet to see a better mill for less money. I expect to get decades of use out of it.

maple flats

I just ordered a Woodland Mills HM130max last Monday. Wish I'd ordered 3 weeks earlier. The projected shipping date changed from June, to July and when I ordered it was at Aug 31, 2021. This is however my second mill, I recently sold my small frame (48" cut max) Peterson WPF for the HM30Max. I no longer have a need for a 48" cut. I ordered the mill with 1 extension, thus max log cut will be 16' 10" or so. I can add another extension if needed but I don't think I'll need it. I might even make an extension for an occasional extra long log. My brother has a very large milling machine so he can mill the profile into the top of the track, everything else can be welded.
Right now I only see 1 need for a longer track. I have designed a saw shed with wooden floor and a log bunk on one side. That opening requires a long beam, I'm thinking 20' long 6x10. I can lift it into place using my excavator but I can't easily saw it. I do have however 6- 2x12 x 18'9-10". I may decide to laminate them and make a 20' er out of them. When not sawing, for snow load I can use a temp. post in the middle of the span.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Erik A

You mention timber's..... do not forget to look at the height of the throat. My saw will not cut more than 7.5 inches. I can only cut one larger timber per log trimming all four sides, it's ok, but I wished I could cut 8" several times!

I really like the 15wide (the only one of your group that I have seen) but I think it will only cut about 7.5?

Daburner87

Quote from: maple flats on May 08, 2021, 09:07:47 AM
I just ordered a Woodland Mills HM130max last Monday. Wish I'd ordered 3 weeks earlier. The projected shipping date changed from June, to July and when I ordered it was at Aug 31, 2021. This is however my second mill, I recently sold my small frame (48" cut max) Peterson WPF for the HM30Max. I no longer have a need for a 48" cut. I ordered the mill with 1 extension, thus max log cut will be 16' 10" or so. I can add another extension if needed but I don't think I'll need it. I might even make an extension for an occasional extra long log. My brother has a very large milling machine so he can mill the profile into the top of the track, everything else can be welded.
Right now I only see 1 need for a longer track. I have designed a saw shed with wooden floor and a log bunk on one side. That opening requires a long beam, I'm thinking 20' long 6x10. I can lift it into place using my excavator but I can't easily saw it. I do have however 6- 2x12 x 18'9-10". I may decide to laminate them and make a 20' er out of them. When not sawing, for snow load I can use a temp. post in the middle of the span.
Well I ordered it last Friday via Wire Transfer when it said "Aug 31st Ship Date", and the money was taken out of my account instantly, but I still haven't gotten an order confirmation over a week later.  I called them Wednesday & Thursday, and they said they were waiting for funds to clear.  It is now Sunday, and still no order confirmation...  Just checked their website and it now shows "September 30 Ship Date" for new orders.  Very disappointed if the machine comes in October. Another month makes a big difference for me.
HM130Max Woodlander XL

Jay B

No matter which one you choose I think long wait times are the standard now. I have heard 12 mo plus for most manufacturers. I would be surprised if you get a 3-4 month turn around to be honest.

I ordered a LT15 around Dec 1 and was advised of March\April delivery and am still waiting. I think they are doing all they can to get the orders out but the supply chain is making that difficult.

Thank You Sponsors!