iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Woodstove Install

Started by AlpineCutter, January 28, 2019, 04:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlpineCutter

My pellet stove quit in the middle of December. Instead of paying around $600 in parts to fix it I decided to go back to burning wood. I purchased a Kuma Aspen stove. I've only had it going for about a week but so far so good.

Trying to plan the hearth design and dimensions 

Built the framework for the hearth and test fitting the slate

Got the cement board put on

Installed the slate floor. My German Shorthaired Pointer "koda" approves

Installed the rest of the slate but decided to take it further up the wall

Finished grouting the slate and got the stove up on the hearth

Decided to frame the slate on the wall with some quaking aspen boards I milled last summer from an old dead tree out back.

The hardest part of the job was installing the chimney. I have a 9/12 roof with metal roofing. And I don't like heights!! The class A pipe from the ceiling up is 12 feet along with 7 feet of black stove pipe. Needless to say I have no problem with draft.

Old Greenhorn

Nice job! What goes under the platform?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

I wondered as well but looks like kindling?  Could also consider plumbing with a fan and ductwork to pull air along the stove and wall and blow into the room.  At first I thought it was a duct opening.  could also consider pulling in outside air for combustion.  I would not tear up your tile job to add it now. :laugh:  Good job.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

AlpineCutter

Thanks! Yes it is a space for kindling.

Magicman

That is a superb job Ty.  Hopefully Marty and I can see it in October.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

AlpineCutter

The elk are still here waiting for you Lynn! At the end of last month i  counted a herd that numbered 1200.

thecfarm

A very nice look you have there.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: AlpineCutter on January 28, 2019, 04:56:53 PM
Thanks! Yes it is a space for kindling.
What is 'kindling'?  :D :D :D :D :D
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

AlpineCutter

Thank you cfarm!!!!

Old Greenhorn, you can always google "kindling" and see what comes up.

doc henderson

I think if refers to your small relatives. :D  OG.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

I looked it up, turns out it means 'small wood pieces used for starting a fire'. Turns out I knew this, but had forgotten. Started my stove back in October and it has been going ever since. It will will probably burn until April. :D ;D :D ;D 8)

doc henderson

might be regional lingo.  You guys up north never let the fire go out anyway.  some call it tinder as well.  

AlpineCutter

Hey OG, I thought you were being a wise guy when you asked what is kindling. Glad you found out what it is. Like Doc said, it might be a regional thing. I've lived in Colorado my whole life and we have always called small split wood used to start the fire Kindling.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: AlpineCutter on January 29, 2019, 04:30:38 PMHey OG, I thought you were being a wise guy when you asked what is kindling. 
Indeed I was. It was a failed attempt at humor. I try to only light my stove once a year, then just keep it going through the winter. Kindling is not something I need much. Now down at the mill it's a different story, but its laying all over the place. :)

doc henderson

:D you did put 5 smiley faces after it.!!!  :D

AlpineCutter

OG,
Thats where I'm getting my kindling from. I made a huge amount of 1x1 stickers from Doug Fir last summer that is coming in really handy this winter.

Gearbox

How are you  going to keep a snow slide from tearing up your flashing . That low on the roof that snow will have a lot of power . I like your install by the way .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

rjwoelk

Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

AlpineCutter

This side of the roof has snow stops so the snow doesn't slide. It also faces Sothwest so what the wind doesn't blow off the sun takes care of relatively fast.

doc henderson

keep a hot fire going and it can divide that snow as it slides off the roof like a hot knife in butter!!! 8)

AlpineCutter

Good idea Doc. Hopefully there will be no issues. I guess time will tell.

Thank You Sponsors!