iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My new woodstove. Much bigger!

Started by johncinquo, January 07, 2008, 12:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johncinquo

Upgraded to a Fisher Gramma Bear wood stove.  My wood consuption has gone up huge, but the effort to get it has gone down, less cutting and limited splitting.  I cant believe the difference.  My furnace hasnt turned on in a week!    I was loading wood every 2 hours before, with a good load and the vents cranked down, this will burn for 7 hours.  I have to keep it pretty low, or the downstairs gets up to 99 degrees and the upstairs is at 74.   
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

leweee

8) Tom & Furby better keep an eye on that red oak you cut down.With that Monster to feed....no trees will be saved. :D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Furby

John's gotta travel a bit to get to it though. ;D
Maybe when he runs out of wood up his way, but I hope that oak is gone looooong before that! ;)

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Bibbyman

Quote from: woodmills1 on January 07, 2008, 05:38:38 PM
99 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

For my folks, that would be J U S T right! 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Saki

Man thats a good looking stove. Looks like you used lots of stove black and elbow grease on that thing. We heat a workshop with a similar fisher stove and it does a great job. Saki

beenthere

The big stove looks like it comes with wheels...that to get the heat around faster (better).... ::) ::) ;) ;)

or ya jes wheel it out to the wood pile, and bring it back in loaded... 8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Mr Mom

Could you put some registers in the upstairs floor to let the heat up??
Thanks Alot Mr Mom  

pigman

Quote from: johncinquo on January 07, 2008, 12:25:46 PM
the downstairs gets up to 99 degrees

That's about the temperature I like. ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Burlkraft

That sounds like a good deal John.....

Gotta keep the Mrs. warm   ;)  ;)  ;)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

SwampDonkey

You guys like it hot eh? Just come to my place and I'll make grease spots outta ya. :D :D On second thoughts, I don't want to live in misery, so forget that noise.  ;D  You should well get 6 or 7 hours heat outta oak, maple, Y birch slabs. 2 hours seems like a waste, but it was probably small sticks. I like half slabbed maple or Y birch buts, not that fine kitchen stove stuff.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

johncinquo

The "black" is another story entirely, I bought it from a contractor who took it out of a basement he was redoing.  It has spots of surface rust, to to make it look better, he applied some type of oil to it.   >:(  Well when I was ready to put it in, it was snowing like mad and I didnt want to have it sitting out in the yard, burning off a load to clean all the surfaces off.  I knew it, I knew it, I knew it, I should have went with my common sense and waited or done it anyway.  I lit it off and about 1/2 hour into it the smoke started to roll.  I put everyone to bed, closed up the rest of the rooms, and opened up the doors and windows.  Fed it wood and sat up til 2:30 am waiting for it to all clear up.  23 degrees outside, 65 inside with the wind coming through and a fire just blazing.  I got some pics of the burn line creeping down the sides slowly.  The seller and I had a discussion a day or so later,  :D but he was a pretty good guy, just didnt think about what would happen.  He made a trip to my place and brought me the screen door you can put inside if you want to have an open fire. 

Furby, you better get that log taken care of, I figured out how to get there on the back roads now!  The stove actually came from about 3 miles away from there. 

I have already taken the ceiling tile (drop ceiling) out over the top of the stove, removed the insulation, and cut a whole for a vent.  I have a vent fan that pulls the hot air from over the stove up into the upstairs.  Set that up a couple years ago and helps even it out a bit.  Also a coupe fans to move air around.  It was just a huge difference going from my old lil one to this beast.  Controlling and moving the heat needs some refinement.
I have my eye on a smaller one, that has a built in catalytic converter and better dampening system, and pipes that run through it to draw out the heat with air.  I'll wait til next year to tackle that idea.  Moving this one around requires the front end loader!  I can pick up and carry the old one, couldnt move this without the dolly. 
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Dan_Shade

John, I believe that there are some temperature sensative vents that will close in the event of a fire.  if you have a fire break out downstairs, the floor vent will spread the fire upstairs very quickly.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Thank You Sponsors!