iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Recommendations & Opinions For Log Splitters

Started by plaindriver, November 27, 2011, 02:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plaindriver

Here is the sitch: I just got a 10 ac property on the Cumberland Plateau of Tenn. Lotsa woods. An abundance of downed tree's in vicinity. Very rural. The house has (3) fireplaces. I would like to buy a log splitter, I see all the usual suspects from MTD, Lowes, Northern Hydraulics, Timber Wolf and others. The most powerful seems to be about 37 ton. Cycle times are around 15 sec or so. Then I get some internet marketing from an outfit in Vt that makes a couple of interesting splitters. One of their splitters is called a 'rapid fire' splitter, says it splits in 1/6 the time, or about 3 sec/cycle. The cost is about $2800 w/delivery. The other interesting unit splits on the fwd and backward stroke (its a horizontal only unit I think). It will run about $1300 delivered and lists as a 15 ton unit. I also see conventional 37 ton units that run about $2K delivered.
This is just for my personal consumption. Not looking to go into firewood business. Maybe I will consume 3ish cords per season.
Does anyone have experience with the DR brand? Would I be better off with a 37 ton unit with one of those 4-way wedges to increase productivity? Thanks in advance.
Kubota L4600 DT w/FEL, John Deere 750 4WD w/FEL, PH Digger,RotoTiller,Box Scraper,Disc;16, 18, 20" chainsaws;Troy Built 27T splitter; table saw, radial arm saw,turning lathe, chipper, small backhoe, Isuzu NPR 14' stakeside diesel truck; a wife that still likes me.

Magicman

I am doing fine with a 27 ton Troy Bilt made by MTD.  OK, some of the others may process faster, but mine will split faster than I want to work anyway.

For splitting Red Oak, I would not want a 4-way wedge.  If it was all smaller, shorter, and straight grained, it might would work, but I would hate to add that additional work load with some of the sticks that I split.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

T Welsh

plaindriver, For your needs it would be cost effective to buy the best you can get at the price range in the lowest bracket.all the splitters in that range do whats needed for you to do. Tim

Holmes

i noticed Tractor Supply has some on sale for a grand.  I just bought a used 11/2 hp electric Super Splitter for a third of new cost.  Split a half cord of wood and stacked it in half an hour. It is great.....  Holmes
Think like a farmer.

zopi

Yeah...that twenty two ton jobby fron tsc will hsndle three cords a season, easy...i also have the northern 22 ton...a better splitter imo.
Do not buy the blue ones from northern tho...cheap junk.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

brendonv

I just bought a super splitter.

Top notch quality, top notch owner, and splits wood super fast.  Def. recommend them.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

John Mc

The DR Rapid Fire splitter is copied from the SuperSplit design. (Basically, SuperSplit's patent ran out, so DR cloned it. Though DR's marketing would have you believe they pioneered the concept.) It's not hydraulic... two flywheels spin a pinion gear which engages a rack, driving the ram forward. It has an incredible short cycle time. Just my opinion, but these splitters are overkill for 3 cords a year. Whether it's worth it to you depends on how much you want to spend to reduce your time splitting.

TSC sells the Speeco brand "SpeedPro" splitter which uses the same concept. It's not as well made as either the SuperSplit or RapidFire splitters. (several people have reported shearing teeth off the rack).

DR's "Dual Action" log splitter is a copy of the "SplitFire" splitter. I live near their factory store in VT. I checked one of these out in their showroom... seemed a bit lightly built for my taste. (EDIT: I should clarify, it was the DR Product I saw that seemed a bit on the lightly-built side. I have not seen the original SplitFire in person.)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

submarinesailor

Don't forget to look at Logrite, link to the right.  They are a forestry forum sponsor and they make some dang good equipment.

Bruce

thecfarm

Some are REAL concerned about cycle time. Yes,it's great to split in 2 seconds flat out,but my flat out days are long gone. If I have to spend another 15 minutes splitting a cord of wood,I will probably feel better taken longer than doing it quicker. The only thing I do know is I'm glad I bought one that will spilt vertical too. One winter it spent as much time vertical as horizontal. In my eyes a 37 ton,4 way wedge is way over kill,but if you want it, and have the money buy it. You can never go too big.  ;D I just have a 27 ton,6.5 Briggs Cub Cadet. I'm only a home owner splitter.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Handy Andy

Don't know how good your 60 year old back is, but mine is about shot,  and use my splitter vertical, so I can roll the logs under it.  Lifting a big chunk is hard on the lower back.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

doctorb

Ditto on the vertical.  If I have to grunt to lift it, it needs to be split standing up, not lying down.  I have been happy with my Ramsplitter 16 ton electric.  No, it's not fast.  No, I don't care. Agree a whole lot with cfarm above.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

nixon

I agree with those that say lifting and an old back just isn't compatible . However , I got away from the vertical splitters for the same reason . I went with a splitter that has a log lift and log table to keep the splits at a decent level . Will it cost more? You bet ! But for My back, it's been well worth it . I won't mention what type I have as You can do Your own research and make up Your own mind without Me cheer leading about My brand .
Stihl            044 ,ms 460
Husqvarna.   346xp ,550xp, 562xp
                   372xp ,390xp, 395xp

sawguy21

The 4 way wedge requires a lot of power and is designed for softwood only. We built one for a twenty ton splitter, 5 hp engine didn't have enough power to handle spruce. We upped the ante with an 8 hp and cranked down the relief valve, bent the ram ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

WI Fire

About 5 years ago, I bought a Split Fire wood splitter, with a log lift. It's been superb. The wedge goes both directions (splits both directions), can be easily 'unstuck', the ram is below in a box channel, and therefore doesn't get wobbly over time, and it's got a Honda engine. There are many good splitters out there, I am sure, and I have been extremley happy with this. Because I live in Wisconsin, I met the owner of the family run business, also who is the inventor, who lives in canada, but married a gal from WI. I was able to get the unit from his brother-in-law. They are really a great family with lots of kids, and really stand by their product. Watch their demo videos, you will be impressed.

www.split-fire.com/

John Mc

I edited my Nov 27 post to clarify: It was the DR "Dual Action" log splitter that seemed lightly-built to me. I've never seen an original SplitFire "up close and personal", but have heard good things about them.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

maple flats

After first seeing a Super Split at Sawlex in W. Va. and again seeing what Logrite does with a Super Split to make it a wood processor, I ordered A super Split this week. I do not need the additions Logrite incorporates, but what they have looks real good. Mine should be here about Christmastime.
I split lots of wood, for home and mainly for the sugarhouse (my evaporator is wood fired) I usually need to hire help to get it all done and this should make it much faster, saving labor costs. Until I use it and get used to it, I'm thinking I may split and have my help stack to wood for drying. Most of my wood dries 1-2 years before use.
I'll report back after I have some time on it.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

petefrom bearswamp

I'm now 74 yrs and have the splitter ( a 2 way) i built in 1978, with Cross valve and Cross cylinders.
The good part is that Cross is still in business as I finally had to re-build the cylinder.
Had to replace the engine about 9 yrs ago as the original Briggs 8 hp failed on the last bolt my son and i were splitting for the season with a cracked base.
Now have a Honda 5.5 hp which is as powerful and fuel efficient as can be.
Slower maybe, but safe as there is plenty of time to place the next bolt.
my son, two friends and i split about 12 to  13 std cords a year total from my wood lot.
Don't know how many are "senior citizens but slower and safer is now paramount in my twilight years.
DR/Troy built used to be top quality stuff but don't know now.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

smalldog

I grew up using a home made splitter that laid right on the ground and ran off of a tractors hydraulics. It worked good for the big rounds. I now have a Speeco 25 ton that they sell locally for about $1300. It has a 10.5hp engine and works as fast as I can.
Hang in there body...just a little further to go.

RSteiner

We have been heating our home with only wood for the past 37 years consuming an average of 8 full cords of wood a year.  About 5 years ago I considered the  purchase of a wood splitter, the aging elbows were starting to complain.

I opted for a Super Split for two reasons, one was the durability of the machine and second I didn't want to have to deal with hydraulic fluids and components.  After using the Super Split for a while the number one reason I would not want anything else is cycle time.

Many might say that a 4 or 5 second cycle time is faster than they want to go, well you don't have to split wood that fast if you don't want to.  However waiting 20 seconds for a piece of wood to split makes splitting wood take a lot longer.  The faster cycle time allows me to get the wood splitting done faster so that I can do something else.  For example if I had 100 pieces of wood that I had to just split in half with a 5 second cycle time that is 8.3 minutes of just cycle time, for a 20 second cycle time that is 33.3 minutes of cycle time.  At the end of the wood pile the time adds up.

The working height of the Super Split is kind to your back, yes you do have to lift pieces up to it so, if most of the wood you split is over 16 or 18 inches in diameter maybe a vertical splitter is the way to go.  Most of the wood I split is 18" in diameter or under.   Most hydraulic splitters are too low to the ground for me being bent over really kills my back. 

On several occasions I have split a full cord of wood in less than an hour working
at a nice pace I could keep up for 3 or more hours, at 59 years young.  I looked at the DR splitter, it looked okay, time will tell if they are as durable as the Super Split.

Randy

Randy

Al_Smith

As I've said on a lot of forums a lot of times ,most tonnage ratings are bogus .If you take even a 5 inch cylinder figuring the average relief pressure of 22-2300 PSI on the valve you come up with 22 tons instead of the outragious rating of 37 tons .

Some say a 15-16 second cycle time is too slow .Okay feed wood to a good splitter non stop for about 3 hours then tell me that again .If you're 50-60 years old you'll be plenty tired by then .If you're 25 -30 maybe a few more hours but just as tired as us old gray beards . :D

maple flats

I used my new super split for just 30 minutes. Working alone I (65 yrs young) split a full load into my F250. I really like it. Tomorrow, I'll use it another couple of hours but that should finish my splitting for the house. I split for the sugarhouse anytime I have another tree to process. I'm going to sell my old hydraulic rig, a 20 ton from TSC with a 6.5 hp gas engine (B&S).
I bought my SS with the production table. It allows me to stand up and work. That is much easier. If I get blocks too heavy to lift I'll roll them into the bucket on my tractor and lift them.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

maple flats

We used the Super Split again yesterday, but I never got to use it. My 17 yr old grandson did it all, while I bucked logs. We filled the F250 in about 50 minutes. He split the blocks, loaded them into the bucket loader and then dumped them into the truck. When I ran out of logs to buck he was only about 5 blocks behind me, then I tailed the splitter while he split. Super Split is super fast, I love it. I find the speed great. Between the house and sugarhouse I split lots of wood. Wasting time to watch the ram cycle is time lost forever.

RSteiner

Quote from: maple flats on December 28, 2011, 07:01:47 AM
We used the Super Split again yesterday, but I never got to use it. My 17 yr old grandson did it all, while I bucked logs. We filled the F250 in about 50 minutes. He split the blocks, loaded them into the bucket loader and then dumped them into the truck. When I ran out of logs to buck he was only about 5 blocks behind me, then I tailed the splitter while he split. Super Split is super fast, I love it. I find the speed great. Between the house and sugarhouse I split lots of wood. Wasting time to watch the ram cycle is time lost forever.

Just one word of caution when two people are working around the splitter, ONLY the person holding the wood operates the cycle control handle.  The son and son-in-law of a friend of mine were splitting wood with his Super Split one of them was putting a piece of wood in place and the other thought it was ready to go and started the cycle.  The tip of one finger was not in the clear and got pinched, that finger is 1/8" shorter now. 

Having someone take away the split pieces is a big help as they pile up fast.  When I watch a hydraulic splitter work now I think how slow is that, you can get spoiled by the speed of the Super Split real fast.  I love mine.

Randy
Randy

bandmiller2

The work in splitting is getting the chunks up on the splitter.Verticle helps but then your bent over.I built my hyd. splitter to a comfortable hight and have a chunk loader that doubles as a table.Super-split is a good system especially if you build a deck the same hight as the table,load it with your tractor then just roll em on.Humping firewood will never be easy,but can be made easier. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!