Getting text from someone who didn't send it

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, July 05, 2018, 06:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

It just now happened.
I'm sitting here watching the news.
Joe Whitley from Woodmizer just called me and said he just got a text from me
and didn't understand it.
The text said "You have an image from David Poston".
I told Joe I didn't text you. My phone was on the table.

Whats going on now with these phones?

NOTE: I meant to post this in General...sorry.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

DPatton

:D :D :D Sure you didn't. Why would you mess with Joe like that David? After all he's done for you? You having purple drank with the news again ;D  ;D ;D? Just kidding.... pirated numbers are happening more and more but I can't say I've had one in the form of a text message.....yet.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Its strange. I Googled it and YES, it can happen.   >:(
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Onthesauk

I got a text this morning from someone I don't know saying my text had been abusive and had been deleted.  I have a flip phone and can't text. ???
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Southside

Number spoofing has been a thing since the early 2000's, it has caused more than a few serious incidents.  Seems some people have nothing better to do with their lives. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

clearcut

It's been reported that some Samsung phones have been randomly sending photos via text, possibly related to a recent update. 

https://techcrunch.com/2018/07/02/some-samsung-users-say-their-phones-randomly-sent-photos-to-contacts/
Carbon sequestered upon request.

florida

Some one was "spoofing" your number. They also hgaveyopur contact list. Had he clicked on the picture they now have his contact list as well. It's so bad that at least half the phone calls I get now  are scam calls on spoofed numbers. I don't answer myphone unless it's someone on my contact list and even that isn't foolproof.  MY SIL got a call from himself!
I've bing an app called Hiya that at least tells me if it's a scam num ber most of the time. They can use exactly the same technology to send texts which is what happened in your case.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

East ky logging

I get a call or text about every week saying they missed my call and I never called them so I know someone has been using my number. I put a vehicle on Craigslist for sell this morning and I have had three identical texts from three different numbers and the closest one is from New Jersey according to the area code. All said they want it and just wants to transfer the money into my bank account.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety- Benjamin Franklin

mike_belben

Supposedly nigerias biggest sector of the economy is scamming americans, obviously by electronic means.  I guess we dont send them enough aid money. 
Praise The Lord

DPatton

Quote from: East ky logging on July 06, 2018, 04:24:24 PM
 I put a vehicle on Craigslist for sell this morning and I have had three identical texts from three different numbers and the closest one is from New Jersey according to the area code. All said they want it and just wants to transfer the money into my bank account.
:D :D ;D ;D There's got to be a good way to have some fun with that. Like texting them a made up account number or maybe giving them the phone number of a sister in law or neighbor you just can't stand :)!  Not that I'd ever do anything like that ;).
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

East ky logging

Oh I've had a ball with them. I'm up to five now but two hasn't responded. One I'm trying to trade it to three sacks of potatoes the other two were down to a Sherman tank and a Huey helicopter.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety- Benjamin Franklin

Thank You Sponsors!