iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maple Syrup!

Started by jrose1970, January 11, 2016, 11:39:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

Quote from: Corley5 on February 09, 2016, 02:45:01 PM
Where does one buy that tapper ???  Will it fit any cordless ???

I assume you're just talking about the drill bit itself.

Should be able to get one by contacting Leader Evaporator Co. or CDL Evaporator Co.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Stephen1

Quote from: Don_Papenburg on February 09, 2016, 09:52:57 PM
So why is the smaller tube more efficient?
I a understand it is easier to vacuum, less volume in the smaller tube. it will also self vacuum if on a slope.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Corley5

I was looking at the attachment on the drill  :)  What's unique about the maple tapping drill bits?  We're taking a field trip to Thunder Bay Maple Supply in Posen Saturday.  On my list is a maple tapping drill bit  :)  Along with a filter bag, some spiels, new hydrometer and cup, and maybe some sap bags and holders.  We've got about 25 sap buckets.  We may take a later trip RMG Sugar Bush Supply in Rudyard.  They're a CDL dealer.  I think Thunder Bay is a LaPierre dealer.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Chuck White

From what I've read on the smaller diameter 3/16" line, you have to have around 30 feet of free line (no taps) above your first (highest) tap to create the vacuum.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

celliott

3/16 does flow better even with vacuum, but for a gravity/non vacuum system, they can create their own vacuum but like chuck said, you run tubing out past your last tap and I think you leave the end open as well.
I believe it's got something to do with the tube being full of sap more often (less space, same sap)  it's also supposed to lift sap better, if you have a sap ladder or tubing with less than desirable grade (with vacuum)

Really the cats pajamas if you have decent slope and no vacuum system.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

celliott

Quote from: Corley5 on February 10, 2016, 09:42:28 AM
I was looking at the attachment on the drill  :)  What's unique about the maple tapping drill bits?  We're taking a field trip to Thunder Bay Maple Supply in Posen Saturday.  On my list is a maple tapping drill bit  :)  Along with a filter bag, some spiels, new hydrometer and cup, and maybe some sap bags and holders.  We've got about 25 sap buckets.  We may take a later trip RMG Sugar Bush Supply in Rudyard.  They're a CDL dealer.  I think Thunder Bay is a LaPierre dealer.

Corley, Sarah at Thunder Bay maple is the daughter of the people I work for here in Vermont. I know we can get the tapper attachments here, might still be worthwhile asking about it.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

Corley5

Quote from: celliott on February 10, 2016, 06:41:43 PM
Corley, Sarah at Thunder Bay maple is the daughter of the people I work for here in Vermont.

That's  8) 8) 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

bill m

3/16 works better then 5/16 by creating it's own vacuum. I think 5/16 works better with mechanical vacuum. You need the larger dia. tubing to transfer vacuum to the tap hole. On a 3/16 line you need 30 feet of tubing before your first tap and at least 10 feet of elevation for this to work efficiently. Having the 30 feet of line, below the first tap, full of sap creates its own vacuum. You don't want to see sap moving fast thru your small lines, it means you have a vacuum leak.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Chuck White

Yes, but it actually works more like a syphon than a vacuum!

Just sayin'.

bill m

The Maple News, vol. 13 issue 10 of Dec. 2014 has a very good article written by Tim Wilmot about 3/16 tubing and the natural vacuum it creates. He states in his article that "Vacuum in a leak free line of 3/16 tubing that descends far enough to its outlet should be around 27 inches Hg."
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Don_Papenburg

Do any of you use the check valve spouts?  Just saw them on a web site this week. about a little over twice the price of regular pipeline spouts.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Chuck White

Personally, no, overpriced.

Too much hype!

It would be really expensive for anyone who's already set up to pull all of his spouts and put the new style in!

celliott

We use cheap disposable spouts. Put them on when we tap, cut them off when we pull spouts/clean lines.
The check valve spouts I believe are supposed to be one season use. Good idea, the theory behind them is sound but they haven't really taken off I don't think.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

Chuck White

We pull our spouts at the end of the season and clean the lines and spouts.

We do not take any of our lines down.

Stephen1

Quote from: celliott on February 15, 2016, 06:27:50 AM
We use cheap disposable spouts. Put them on when we tap, cut them off when we pull spouts/clean lines.
The check valve spouts I believe are supposed to be one season use. Good idea, the theory behind them is sound but they haven't really taken off I don't think.
I have never heard of disposable taps. Are they truely disposable, or is it they are so cheap you do not mind throwing them away?
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

celliott

Quote from: Stephen1 on February 16, 2016, 09:41:32 AM
Quote from: celliott on February 15, 2016, 06:27:50 AM
I have never heard of disposable taps. Are they truely disposable, or is it they are so cheap you do not mind throwing them away?

I guess it depends on your definition of disposable.
If they are so cheap we don't mind tossing them, doesn't that make them disposable?

I think the reason is that bacteria builds up in the spouts and sits all year, then you put that bacteria into your taphole at the beginning of next season. Bacteria triggers the tree to start healing the taphole and that shuts down sap production.
So, new clean spouts each year is getting to be the method of choice for alot of sugarmakers.
They also make an adapter spout where you attach a "stubby" spout, new each year, to a permanent attachment on the dropline.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

timberlinetree

We got tapped in and when we got home last nite it was running. Its nice to hear the sound of sap flowing into the storage barrels again. I really like it when we empty the buckets and you can hear the  drips.sweet times!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Chuck White

We're not tapped yet, set out some of the barrels a couple of days ago, weathered out yesterday.

We plan on all barrels out and all taps in by the weekend and boiling by Wednesday next!

celliott

We finished up a 6500ish tap woods today. Was slow going, had a few poor weather\too cold days. Tomorrow we start on another woods of similar tap count, but easily 2-3x the area. Tree density isn't terrible, but the woods where we just finished, it's awesome.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

cbla

I think I will be putting out my taps this weekend

Chuck White

We are planning on tapping tomorrow!

Chuck White

Well, 628 taps are in, about the same left to do tomorrow if the weather permits.  8)

Chuck White

We are all tapped now with the exception of about 30 buckets, all of our line taps are in and they should start (or be) running any time.

Most of the holes were wet when we were finishing the line taps today!

1,200 taps in now!

Ford_man

I am curious, does the sap freeze in the small tubing and does it cause a problem?

cbla

Tapped in yesterday. 22 buckets this year.

Thank You Sponsors!