iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Missed opportunity

Started by Ironwood, September 18, 2008, 09:04:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwood

Just wanted to share my experience with missing/ opting out on a MONSTER soft maple on a local campus. Much to my dismay my BIG arch was not big enough (45" capacity). Tree service guy said it was th biggest solid tree he had ever seen locally (30 years on the job). It was rigth below the campus Pres. office, so no milling on site, and I could not hire a crane to move it (down in a little valley). My wife works at the campus, and I didn't want to bloody my/ her lip if it didn't work out. The tree was 50+" and held it a good way up the trunk. 

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

metalspinner

That's frustrating.  Sometimes the stars just don't align.  Just think about all the nails you are missing out on with that campus tree.

Do you have  a parbuckling setup in your arsenal?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

beenthere

Ironwood
That is a big soft maple.

Surprised at the attire of the crew set up there to remove it. Not much for a professional look or for safety attire. Apparently it was the "tree service"?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ironwood

I agree on the attire. I said something to the owner (known him for years), he said, "yep, got all that stuff available to them and they choose not to wear it" Not on my crew, they'de have no option, at least eyewear and chaps. Good observation.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

crtreedude

What we do when we have a monster is whip out the 090AV and cut it into sizable quarters. After all, probably going to want to quartersaw it anyway.

You do realize when I say we, it ain't me.  ::)
So, how did I end up here anyway?

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

crtreedude

Ironwood

No curl, I would have whipped out the 394 w/ 6' bar and quartered it. You realize, I DO MEAN ME.  :D

Ironwood

crtreedude

Quote from: Ironwood on September 18, 2008, 05:10:49 PM
No curl, I would have whipped out the 394 w/ 6' bar and quartered it. You realize, I DO MEAN ME.  :D

Ironwood

Pshaw, real men use an 090 ....  :D

With a block and tackle to hold it up of course...  ::)

WAGZ

lol........ya that is pretty sweet safety gear!!........may as well be wearin' a pair of "Crocs" to boot !!!........
I'd do the same for somebody I liked !!

Ironwood

Sorry, missed the earlier comment, yes I do parbuckle. But the access was the issue. IT was dropped onto the manicured floodplain grassy area (soft/ wet constantly). I would have likely created a TON of damage. If it where curly, you bet I would have figured out a way.

Ironwood

Thank You Sponsors!